Thread: DELL Photo 926 Printer

Beans

DELL Photo 926 Printer

I have installed Hardy Heron on my computer. My husband says that we need to be a Linux Family. No more of them there Winduhs.

Anyway, I like Ubuntu, the only problem that I am having thus far is with my printer. I have a DELL Photo 926 Printer and cannot print to it.

My husband has tried several generic printer drivers, all of the DELL drivers which are packaged with Hardy Heron, but to no avail.

I am using the Gnome GUI.

What can we do?
    Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: DELL Photo 926 Printer

sadly, it looks like your printer is not yet supported under linux. Despite the fact that dell distributes ubuntu computers they have failed to write a printer driver for that model for linux. That is not to say that it will never work but someone has to reverse engineer a driver that will work for it. Here is a link to your printer on the linux foundation website which provides a info on linux compatibilities and printers.
    if ignorance is bliss, where are all the happy people
    Jeremy

Beans

Thanks, since I need to have this working looks like I am going to be going back to Windows. DAMN DAMN DAMN DAMN

Beans

Lightbulb Re: DELL Photo 926 Printer - emails to Dell's VP

I also had this problem. I hunted around Dell's site, but no Linux drivers for the All In One series.

Interestingly though, if you go to Dell's website & buy a laptop with Ubuntu installed, you can accessorize it with a selection of the All In One printers ??? Hmm, either they have drivers that they are keeping to themselves, or they are selling printers with their Ubuntu laptops that won't work!

I decided to email Josh Claman, Vice President and General Manager, Dell Channels - EMEA, to see what he had to make of this.

I will be posting all of the correspondence on my blog if anyone is interested (it's OK there are no adverts on the blog, so this isn't a pathetic attempt to generate traffic - LOL)

I hope Dell will provide some Linux drivers for these printers, the VirtualBox route seems a bit overkill just to be able to print

Paul

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

According to this site it's possible using a Lexmark driver. Which is what this printer is anyhow. My Son uses this, but has no scanning capability.

http://www.finebushpeople.net/LexmarkZ600

M.
    Hate Coffee, Love Ubuntu!