Thread: How do you install themes and such

Beans

How do you install themes and such

I am new to Ubuntu, and I just installed today. I am very curious on how to install themes, GDMs, login themes and such, and I am just confused about it and don't know where to look, and I am just asking if anyone can link me to any where on how to install themes and other graphical things like that.

EDIT: oh I think I might have posted in the wrong sections =(
    Last edited by xaxtree; May 18th, 2008 at 04:55 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: How do you install themes and such

first of all you should take a look at gnome-look.org. Also you should install emerald:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install emerald
    Desktop: Q6600 OC: 343 x 9, 4 GB RAM, 8600 GTS Twinview (22",17"), 1.5 TB RAID 5
    Laptop: Lenovo T61 T7300 @ 2 GHz, 2GB RAM, Nvidia 140M Quadro, 160 GB harddrive
    Remember to mark posts as [SOLVED] when your problem is resolved

Beans
    To install themes is mostly intuitive. GDM themes are under System -> Administration -> Login and just install the tar.gz there.

Beryl Emerald themes just import the .emerald file in into the emerald manager.

Gtk 2.x and Metacity archives (this also works for icon themes) can be drag and dropped into System -> Preferences -> Appearances in the first tab, then accessed under the customize option at the bottom.

Some themes are not packaged like so and may be more or less difficult, but those kind generally just involve being extracted to a specific area.

http://www.gnome-look.org

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by xaxtree View Post
    I am new to Ubuntu, and I just installed today. I am very curious on how to install themes, GDMs, login themes and such, and I am just confused about it and don't know where to look, and I am just asking if anyone can link me to any where on how to install themes and other graphical things like that.

EDIT: oh I think I might have posted in the wrong sections =(
    All good about the section. I just look at new posts for the most part go to gnome art web page. Look for a icon theme or windows borders theme that looks cool download the .tar.bz and then open up the apprentices GUI and drag and drop them on to it and it will auto install them
    Thinkpad W510, i7-720QM, Nvidia Quadro FX 880m (nouveau), Intel X25-M G2 80GB (OCZ are better), 1080p Wacom Multi-Touch Screen, Intel Centrino Advanced-N + WiMAX 6250, Yubikey OTP

Beans

Thank you all, most appreciated, I love to learn about these things, and you all are very friendly. Thank you so much again.

Beans

Sorry for double post but what about GTK2?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Smile Re: How do you install themes and such

Last edited by sistarbliss; May 18th, 2008 at 05:48 AM. Reason: doubled reply

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by xaxtree View Post
    Sorry for double post but what about GTK2?
    Install gtk2.x in the appearances properties. Most work with a drag and drop, then are available under customize.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

[quote=sistarbliss;4984253]Hey there!

I don't post much in ubuntu forums, rarely go there, but just happened to stumble upon your message tonight.

I am learning about themes myself. A good place to start is art.gnome.org.

To install themes, first download them, then drag the package file (zipped) to the theme window.

go to system>prefrerences>appearance>

drag any of your themes there window borders, application borders, icons....(the login ones are in different spot tho)

You can customize different themes with backgrounds, icon sets, etc, in the one that says custom. You can name it to whatever you want to call that custom theme...

Btw...I just discovered a couple of days ago that a lot of the icon sets don't work with the new ubuntu.

That's a good basic start. If you end up learning more than that, let me know, because I'm interested in learning about the whole gtk thing.

Namaste' Su

Btw... If you want to email me, my email addy is su@starsunflower.com

Have fun!

Here are some screenshots of my fiesty fawn system...

http://pic60.picturetrail.com/VOL167.../302481642.jpg
    http://pic60.picturetrail.com/VOL167.../302462345.jpg

Added some Hardy Heron shots....

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/...5&uid=10152806
    Last edited by sistarbliss; May 19th, 2008 at 03:34 AM. Reason: bad url