Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: conky setup (config)

Beans

conky setup (config)

i am trying to get conky to appear on my desktop under all the other windows. however, i cant even see it at all/ cant configure it either. it is installed, i used synaptic to install. when i open terminal to configure it, it gives me the space/spaces to configure it, but doesnt seem to do anything with that info. and conky still doesnt appear, any help?

Beans

Re: conky setup (config)

in a terminal type: conky
    if that works than conkys fine and working
    now kill it: killall conky

to set up: cp /etc/conky/conky.conf ~/.conkyrc

conkyrc is where you put the settings, open it with a text editor:
    editor ~/.conkyrc

now you probably asking yourself what are the settings? open a terminal and type: man conky
    that's the manual.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Excellent source if you dont know where to start customizing, just copy someone elses and modify it for your own: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=281865
    Dialup or no internet on your Ubuntu box? Have no fear, Keryx is here! Keryx Project
    My blog

Beans

when i type "comky" into the terminal, as i would to run it, it says "Conky: missing text block in configuration; exiting". conky doesnt even open

Beans

okay, sounds like a screwed install, try again.

sudo apt-get remove --purge conky
    sudo apt-get install conky

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

its not a screwed install, they're missing the TEXT block in the rc file... my guess would be missing an rc file all together

cruise these forums, try copy/pasting a random .conkyrc or download one, throw it into your home folder then try loading conky again

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Nythain View Post
    its not a screwed install, they're missing the TEXT block in the rc file... my guess would be missing an rc file all together

cruise these forums, try copy/pasting a random .conkyrc or download one, throw it into your home folder then try loading conky again
    really, if it's not doing what it's suppose to do, i would say it was screwed. your not suppose to need a ~/.conkyrc for it to work, that's to customize it, if it can't even start normally, what other problems could it have? why take the chance?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by kerry_s View Post
    really, if it's not doing what it's suppose to do, i would say it was screwed. your not suppose to need a ~/.conkyrc for it to work, that's to customize it, if it can't even start normally, what other problems could it have? why take the chance?
    I agree that conky shouldnt need a .conkyrc to work. I installed and ran it without a configuration file and it worked fine. I think the purge and reinstall is a good idea, and think of it this way, its not going to hurt anything but cost him a few extra seconds at his computer, which isnt necessarily a bad thing either.
    Dialup or no internet on your Ubuntu box? Have no fear, Keryx is here! Keryx Project
    My blog

Beans

the purge worked. thanks alot. when i tried to install it the first time, i used synaptic. i guess it fowled up the install. i actually forgot about installing it from the terminal.

Beans

i now have conky running. however, i cant seem to make a .conkyrc file. what is the process for that?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast