Thread: [SOLVED] What program takes care of window borders?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Question [SOLVED] What program takes care of window borders?

ok, I've not found this out yet. I've got compiz working just fine with the latest nvidia drivers installed with evny. My question is, what program is actually the theme engine? what theme's can I apply?
    compiz, emerald, metacity, gtk? Which is it? And more importantly which themes can I install to customize the look of my system?
    Thanks in advance for any and all help

Jose

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: What program takes care of window borders?

If you have metacity enabled, then it takes care of the window borders. Standard themes off gnome-look.org work.

If you have compiz enabled, then it uses "gtk-window-decorator", which essentually emulates metacity for the window borders - so themes off gnome-look.org work.

So, either way, standard metacity themes should work.

Beans
    Distro

ok, I've also heard of the emerald windows manager, is there any advantage to using that as the window manager? I read someplace that it used to be the default bu now isn't. which is better (I know better is in the eyes of the beholder) the standard window manager (metacity) or emerald?
    Jose

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

No, it's not better. It also crashes often, and it was essentially gave up on and they're working on making another window manager for compiz. Meanwhile they made the metacity-emulating one which works great and it compatible with the normal themes (so the user really doesn't see a diff).

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Vadi View Post
    No, it's not better. It also crashes often, and it was essentially gave up on and they're working on making another window manager for compiz. Meanwhile they made the metacity-emulating one which works great and it compatible with the normal themes (so the user really doesn't see a diff).
    Got it thanks
    Jose