Thread: Newbie

Beans

Wink Newbie

Hi my names Othniel and im a 19 year old proud south african male 4rm Pretoria representin......and im ready to take the plunge and join you guys
    well im a newbie and ima be da guy dats gonna post the most stupid questions on the forum ....LOL ..........well ima start by asking is there any Linux courses available in south africa?? id like to get into Linux asap..!!! I would also like to know if theres an alternative way to obtaining the Ubuntu desktop edition coz i only got a mtn 500mb data card subscription......and yes i cant wait months for the installation cd.........!!! thanx guys and I cant wait to start my LINUX journey ..........stay cool !!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by othniel View Post
    Hi my names Othniel and im a 19 year old proud south african male 4rm Pretoria representin......and im ready to take the plunge and join you guys
    well im a newbie and ima be da guy dats gonna post the most stupid questions on the forum ....LOL ..........well ima start by asking is there any Linux courses available in south africa?? id like to get into Linux asap..!!! I would also like to know if theres an alternative way to obtaining the Ubuntu desktop edition coz i only got a mtn 500mb data card subscription......and yes i cant wait months for the installation cd.........!!! thanx guys and I cant wait to start my LINUX journey ..........stay cool !!!
    Hi othniel, and welcome to the dark side

There are a few places offering Linux courses around here. I suggest googling for companies in Pretoria. In Jhb I recommend Obsidian systems, although their main focus is RH.

You can either order copies of the install CD's from places like FOSS CD's, who aren't too expensive. Alternatively you can speak to a kind local person who'd be willing to burn a copy for you. Ubuntu may be a challenge for you, since most of its software is installed online.
    Last edited by flarkit; May 18th, 2008 at 08:00 PM.
    Linux = freedom for the masses
    PC: A8N-SLI, 4400+, 8800GT, 2x1Gb DDR400,160+2x1Tb

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Hi Newbie

Since you live in Pretoria there is an easy way to obtain linux distros as long as you know a student at the University of Pretoria main campus (possibly other campuses too?). Go to the university, go inside the main library to the student computers and access ftp.up.ac.za and save and burn the distro image to CD/DVD. You can access ftp.up.ac.za from any computer, but going to the university prevents downloading since the files are hosted there!

Cheers!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Another option is to visit our LocoTeam's wiki.

There you will find a section entitle GetUbuntu. There it will list various ways of getting Ubuntu, along with a list of local people who are willing to send out a copy to you. You will also find a link to FreedomToaster. There you will find a list of places that have toasters, where you can take a blank cd, and get a copy for free.

welcome to community
    Last edited by Circus-Killer; September 5th, 2008 at 07:10 AM.