Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ubuntu on the BBC (again)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Ubuntu on the BBC (again)

It was on at 11:30 this morning on BBC News, the channel. Pretty cool, inaccurate, but cool.

Maybe they should do a show about open source sofware itself. They probably will if they receive emails asking what it's all about.

Nathan

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Like I said I disagree. People think free software (whether libre, or beer) is seen as inferior. My dad is just an example. We used to use a free AV on windows, but naturally got a lot of viruses, and so he decided to pay for McAfee, anyway my point is if its free people think it can't be as good. While they may use say a free browser, they're not going to use free office software!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by abhiroopb View Post
    People think free software (whether libre, or beer) is seen as inferior. My dad is just an example. We used to use a free AV on windows, but naturally got a lot of viruses,
    No dispute there. In fact - the program reporter even raised this as an issue (in a clearly orchestrated attempt to discredit the idea).

Interestingly, your wording reveals your own beliefs... why would you naturally get a lot of viruses with free AV? Besides which, if I had AV which I felt didn't work, I'd swap to something else (paid or unpaid) too.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Sorry I didn't phrase it correctly. What I meant was that it was Windows, so we naturally got viruses . And we did practice safe browsing, etc. But all it takes is one rogue e-mail, or one bad link!

So yea my dad attributed it to the fact that we had a free AV (I think AVG, or Avast) and a free firewall (zone alarm). Honestly I don't know a bad one from a good one. I recently installed windows to dual boot, and I just put in the latest avast and comodo. I've heard they're both good but when it comes to configuration, etc, I just leave it. Since its a secondary installation, naturally I'm not going to pay for an AV but if I installed windows by itself, I may consider getting something thats paid. For one thing if I do get a virus I can always e-mail them and have a good rant

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123