Thread: ATI card and 8.04 - HELP!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

ATI card and 8.04 - HELP!

Is there a simple way to get the ATI Radeon 9200 to work?

Until now I have always used nVidia cards. Recently, however I was given an old ATI Radeon 9200 which is, believe it or not, better than the nVidia cards I used to have. So I installed the card with the new version of Xubuntu I was installing.

I have read that there are issues with the Radeon 9200. Certainly it doesn't show up on the restricted driver list. However when I follow the intructions for getting the 9200 to work on Feisty, instructions include editing items from a file - the file no longer contains those items.

Unfortunately, when I run graphics through the card, everything ends up on VGA or worse! Luckily I have a 22" widescreen, but I really want this to work - I have gotten so used to Compiz-Fusion that it actually improves productivity for me.

So please, anyone, is there a simple way to get the ATI Radeon 9200 to work?

Help me Obi-Wan, you're my only hope!
    (terminal case of gui)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: ATI card and 8.04 - HELP!

bump-ity-ump!

Really need some help here peeps! I want to recycle this card and although it'd prolly be cheaper timewise to buy a new one I'm trying to help the environment.

Anyone want to help me save the world? Then help me find out how to get this damn ATI card working!
    (terminal case of gui)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: ATI card and 8.04 - HELP!

last bump before I give in and try Ubuntu. Anyone?
    (terminal case of gui)