Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Hardy + NVIDIA drivers

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: HOWTO: Hardy + NVIDIA drivers

OK finally got the NVIDIA driver to load. After rebooting my monitor says out of range. I ant get to anything or see X. What now?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mastergunner View Post
    OK finally got the NVIDIA driver to load. After rebooting my monitor says out of range. I ant get to anything or see X. What now?
    It sounds like X is trying to use a screen resolution that your monitor doesn't support.

If you press ctrl+alt+f2, you'll get to a text prompt, where you can log in. What we need to get is your current Xorg.conf, and the previous one as well, if you had something working previously to this.

I'm not sure what your setup is, but if it *was* working before (at least, to where you could login), then get to the directory where the X configuration files are:
    Code:
    cd /etc/X11
    ls
    Xorg.conf is the file being used right now. You can view it with
    Code:
    less Xorg.conf
    or edit it with
    Code:
    sudo nano Xorg.conf
    There should also be a backup file, probably named Xorg.conf.[something]. If you had it working before, then we'll go ahead and log in with that configuration file:
    Code:
    X -config Xorg.conf.[something]
    Once there, please copy and paste the contents of both that file, and Xorg.conf on here.
    I do not use Ubuntu any more, nor have I ever used Gnome. Therefore, I tend to give advice that is distro- and DE-agnostic, which, while perhaps not the easiest way, will allow you to move freely between machines.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

You rock! After banging my head on the desk for four hours, this worked like a charm.

EDIT: GAH! I was wrong. On reload, it sent me back to 800X600 and the new xorg reconfigure gui. I tried to reinstall, but I had to just go back to my backup of xorg.conf. What went wrong?
    Last edited by samuraiCat; September 7th, 2008 at 11:30 PM.
    12.04 Beta 2 of Ubuntu Studio is awesome sauce!"

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by samuraiCat View Post
    You rock! After banging my head on the desk for four hours, this worked like a charm.
    I'm glad I could help. It took me a while to get this working, and so, once I did, I figured I'd try and share the knowledge, since it was so frustrating to me.
    I do not use Ubuntu any more, nor have I ever used Gnome. Therefore, I tend to give advice that is distro- and DE-agnostic, which, while perhaps not the easiest way, will allow you to move freely between machines.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Xiong Chiamiov View Post
    I'm glad I could help. It took me a while to get this working, and so, once I did, I figured I'd try and share the knowledge, since it was so frustrating to me.
    Sorry, Xiong, but something went wrong. After I reloaded, it kicked me back to the graphical reconfigure. I had to revert to my saved xorg.conf.

Not that I'm not still grateful, mind you -- I think this was my fault. I noticed in the new xorg.conf that the VertRefresh was 110, which is insane. But I rebooted anyway, and had to reconfigure and revert.

I'm trying it again right now.
    12.04 Beta 2 of Ubuntu Studio is awesome sauce!"

Beans
    Distro

Xiong it was working with a fresh install. Once I utilized the NVIDIA drivers it started this. Why go back when we should be modifying this Xorg with the new drivers. How should I do this? I can use ctl+alt+f1 and get in that way without X.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by samuraiCat View Post
    Sorry, Xiong, but something went wrong. After I reloaded, it kicked me back to the graphical reconfigure. I had to revert to my saved xorg.conf.

Not that I'm not still grateful, mind you -- I think this was my fault. I noticed in the new xorg.conf that the VertRefresh was 110, which is insane. But I rebooted anyway, and had to reconfigure and revert.

I'm trying it again right now.
    It's odd that you got in once, but not after that. You might try using your old Xorg.conf, but just with the driver changed to 'nvidia', instead of vesa or whatever it was.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mastergunner View Post
    Xiong it was working with a fresh install. Once I utilized the NVIDIA drivers it started this. Why go back when we should be modifying this Xorg with the new drivers. How should I do this? I can use ctl+alt+f1 and get in that way without X.
    If it was working with the old Xorg.conf, then we can modify that one to use the nvidia driver, thereby eliminating the possibility of problems with vertical refresh rates and that kind of nonsense. First off I'd try just changing the driver setting (under Device) to nvidia.

Beans
    Distro

SO how do I go about doing this then?

Beans
    Distro

I can not get this to work. I just went into xfix and I am up now just says it is using the nv driver. I do not understand this at all. Nvidia-settings and nvidia-xconfig do not work even though they are installed. Theis is freaking ridiculous.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast