Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Hardy + NVIDIA drivers

Beans

HOWTO: Hardy + NVIDIA drivers

Attention!: it seems that the new version of envy has finally gotten the new drivers, so you should be able to install it (with its nifty GUI configuration!). Haven't tested myself, but definitely try that first.
    2008-06-15: Took envy for a spin today, and it lists 169.12 as the NVIDIA driver (for the series that needs 173, that is). I think it's just hardy-proposed that it's gotten to, so who knows how long that'll be 'til it gets to us.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

I've been typing this out quite a bit recently, so I though I'd just make a well-formatted post to link to.

Before we start, let me tell you that most of this code you can directly copy and paste. The part about killing X that's in bold is the only part that will vary, and you just use the number that's in bold for the first part in the second.

The kernel in Hardy is causing problems with the NVIDIA drivers included in the repositories, so we need to download and install the newest drivers.

From here, download the 173.14 driver (first one listed). If you're using 64-bit *buntu, download the 173.14 from the 3rd section, the one entitled "Linux AMD64/EM64T". Save/move to your home directory.

Write down these instructions, because we're going to be dropping to a command-prompt.
    Press ctrl+alt+f1, then enter these commands:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove --purge nvidia*
    sudo apt-get install linux-headers-$(uname -r) libc-dev build-essential
    cd ~
    sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop
    sudo sh NVID[tab]
    sudo /etc/init.d/gdm start
    If you're using KDE3, replace gdm in the fourth and sixth lines with kdm; KDE4 users replace with kdm-kde4. Xubuntu users will also use gdm.
    If stopping the window manager doesn't bring you back to a prompt, press alt+f1 again to do so.

Make sure that when the installer complains about the versions of GCC not matching, you select "no". This will continue the installation.
    I would recommend that you select "yes" when the installer asks if you want it to generate an X configuration file. It will create a backup of your current one in /etc/X11 if you need it.

After doing this, I recommend you follow vor's excellently-constructed guide for keeping your NVIDIA drivers working after a kernel update.

~~~~~~~~~~

If you're getting an error with the installer saying that X is running:
    First run
    Code:
    ps -ef |grep X (make sure that's a capital X!)
    You should see something like this:
    Code:
    root     14341  5346  2 20:05 tty7     00:00:16 /usr/bin/X -br -nolisten tcp :0 vt7 -auth /var/run/xauth/A:0-G56yJI
    pearson  17629 14881  0 20:16 pts/0    00:00:00 grep X
    Take a look at the number that I put in bold. Then kill X like so
    Code:
    sudo kill -9 14341
    changing the last number to what it was for you when you ran the previous command.

Alternate trick #1.
    Alternate trick #2.

Nullack had to make a few adjustments to his Xorg.conf to get his to work on a fresh 64-bit install.

If this doesn't work, you find an alternate solution, or you had to do something in addition, please let me know so I can update accordingly. We want to reduce pain for others, right?

Also, the well-formatted post I originally started off with has grown rather... well, it's not as good as it could be. However, I am rather bad at things this long, so if anyone would like to reorganize/reformat anything to make it a bit more friendly, then just let me know!
    Last edited by Xiong Chiamiov; June 24th, 2008 at 02:05 AM. Reason: separated things a little bit and added vor's guide
    I do not use Ubuntu any more, nor have I ever used Gnome. Therefore, I tend to give advice that is distro- and DE-agnostic, which, while perhaps not the easiest way, will allow you to move freely between machines.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: HOWTO: Hardy + NVIDIA drivers

The link to nvidia's site you provided goes to the archive of drivers. The latest driver I've found so far is 173.14.05, for 32 bit users. I didn't look for a 64 bit version, since I don't use 64 bit, but I'm sure it exists, as well.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Aardolan View Post
    The link to nvidia's site you provided goes to the archive of drivers. The latest driver I've found so far is 173.14.05, for 32 bit users. I didn't look for a 64 bit version, since I don't use 64 bit, but I'm sure it exists, as well.
    Ah, thank you. When I wrote this, 173.08 was the latest, and I hadn't checked since then. Updated.

EDIT: Or not. The forums aren't letting me save changes to that post (db error, though this one works just fine), so I'll update it later.
    Last edited by Xiong Chiamiov; June 5th, 2008 at 09:53 AM.
    I do not use Ubuntu any more, nor have I ever used Gnome. Therefore, I tend to give advice that is distro- and DE-agnostic, which, while perhaps not the easiest way, will allow you to move freely between machines.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I'm currently using nvidia-glx-new from the repo. What difference will this driver make.

Thanks.

Beans

Last I checked, the drivers in the repos weren't the most up-to-date, which meant they didn't have some of the fixes that NVIDIA put in to deal with the new kernel in Hardy. It looks like the repo version is 169.12, which caused endless rebooting for some people. If it's working for you, then I don't think there are any specific benefits.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I've tried nvidia-glx-new, as well as the latest three drivers from Nvidia, and they all make my desktop look like someone took an Xacto knife to them. Guess I'll have to wait and see if this gets fixed for my specific card later, or until I can save up for a new PC. I'm currently using (apparently) a GEForce 6200A

Beans

Hmm, sorry to hear that. If you do get it working, though, please tell me what you did.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Screwed by the Demon Gates! To never return!
    Kbuntu 8.04 Hardy - Intel D5400XS Mobo - Dual QX9775 Quad core Extremes * 2 x 12mb cache - 8gb DDR2 @ 1600 mhz FSB - Dual NVidia 9600 GT 512mb OverClocked
    SSSSccccrrreeaammmmmmming........!

Beans

I'm sorry; what is this supposed to mean? I oftentimes require a bit more explaining perhaps than most people.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by Xiong Chiamiov View Post
    I'm sorry; what is this supposed to mean? I oftentimes require a bit more explaining perhaps than most people.
    The latest drivers are the working drivers. Each time the kernel is updated, the video drivers need to be re-installed. So goes with the wireless network drivers as well.
    Last edited by Unix_Slayer; June 8th, 2008 at 08:30 AM.
    Screwed by the Demon Gates! To never return!
    Kbuntu 8.04 Hardy - Intel D5400XS Mobo - Dual QX9775 Quad core Extremes * 2 x 12mb cache - 8gb DDR2 @ 1600 mhz FSB - Dual NVidia 9600 GT 512mb OverClocked
    SSSSccccrrreeaammmmmmming........!

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast