Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Hardy + NVIDIA drivers

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Hardy + NVIDIA drivers

Quote Originally Posted by Unix_Slayer View Post
    The latest drivers are the working drivers. Each time the kernel is updated, the video drivers need to be re-installed. So goes with the wireless network drivers as well.
    This is correct. Of course, it would solve problems if the repo was updated, but it's still at 169.12. However, some people are operating just fine on old drivers (eg, nvidia-glx-new), and some (like Aardolan) can't get it to work even with the newest drivers.
    I do not use Ubuntu any more, nor have I ever used Gnome. Therefore, I tend to give advice that is distro- and DE-agnostic, which, while perhaps not the easiest way, will allow you to move freely between machines.

Beans

X- "From here, download the 173.14 driver (first one listed). Save/move to your home directory."

to show my complete freshman knowledge, how does one move to home directory?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by Xiong Chiamiov View Post
    This is correct. Of course, it would solve problems if the repo was updated, but it's still at 169.12. However, some people are operating just fine on old drivers (eg, nvidia-glx-new), and some (like Aardolan) can't get it to work even with the newest drivers.
    The old drivers are slow though..... I've been using the newest driver so far, and it's been phenomenal. And between you and I, it's pretty easy to install the newest driver. What driver are you using? And what card are you using btw.
    Screwed by the Demon Gates! To never return!
    Kbuntu 8.04 Hardy - Intel D5400XS Mobo - Dual QX9775 Quad core Extremes * 2 x 12mb cache - 8gb DDR2 @ 1600 mhz FSB - Dual NVidia 9600 GT 512mb OverClocked
    SSSSccccrrreeaammmmmmming........!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by Aardolan View Post
    I've tried nvidia-glx-new, as well as the latest three drivers from Nvidia, and they all make my desktop look like someone took an Xacto knife to them. Guess I'll have to wait and see if this gets fixed for my specific card later, or until I can save up for a new PC. I'm currently using (apparently) a GEForce 6200A
    The newest driver should run your card. The nvidia-glx-new is not running par excellence, and I would consider installing the latest, and greatest. Shouldn't it Xiong Chiamiov.
    Kbuntu 8.04 Hardy - Intel D5400XS Mobo - Dual QX9775 Quad core Extremes * 2 x 12mb cache - 8gb DDR2 @ 1600 mhz FSB - Dual NVidia 9600 GT 512mb OverClocked

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sonoma_jack View Post
    X- "From here, download the 173.14 driver (first one listed). Save/move to your home directory."

to show my complete freshman knowledge, how does one move to home directory?
    Well, you could of course use the command line, but the far simpler way would be to use Nautilus (the filemanager). I assume that Firefox still saves files by default to the desktop (and that you're using Firefox, not to mention GNOME), so you would just go to Places -> Home Folder (at the top left) and drag it in there.

The file doesn't need to be there per se, but then you don't have to find it through the command line when you get to the installation step.

The old drivers are slow though..... I've been using the newest driver so far, and it's been phenomenal. And between you and I, it's pretty easy to install the newest driver. What driver are you using? And what card are you using btw.
    Everything is working just peachily for me using 171(?) I think, on a 6800GT. While I may think that the installation of the driver is fairly easy, knowing what to do is not intuitive, and there are many people who frequent these forums who would not find the procedure "easy". You must remember that this is *buntu; this is the first (or possibly, the first positive) experience for many with Linux (myself included).

The newest driver should run your card. The nvidia-glx-new is not running par excellence, and I would consider installing the latest, and greatest. Shouldn't it Xiong Chiamiov.
    While my experience would say so, he specifically said that he had tried the latest drivers, and they produced... less than spectacular results. I have a different card than he, and am running on 32-bit (as opposed to 64-bit). Those alone remove any presumption on my part that I *know* how things will work for him, much less the difference that comes from customization and use of individual's computers.
    I do not use Ubuntu any more, nor have I ever used Gnome. Therefore, I tend to give advice that is distro- and DE-agnostic, which, while perhaps not the easiest way, will allow you to move freely between machines.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by Xiong Chiamiov View Post
    Everything is working just peachily for me using 171(?) I think, on a 6800GT. While I may think that the installation of the driver is fairly easy, knowing what to do is not intuitive, and there are many people who frequent these forums who would not find the procedure "easy". You must remember that this is *buntu; this is the first (or possibly, the first positive) experience for many with Linux (myself included).

While my experience would say so, he specifically said that he had tried the latest drivers, and they produced... less than spectacular results. I have a different card than he, and am running on 32-bit (as opposed to 64-bit). Those alone remove any presumption on my part that I *know* how things will work for him, much less the difference that comes from customization and use of individual's computers.
    I've been installing Ubuntu desktops on a lot of clientele's lately. Way more than Windows. I've gotten so used to installing these drivers, that I do them in my sleep. Of course I always recommend the easier, and better chips to include in a new desktop. This makes the install so much more rewarding.

Beans

On a fresh hardy install this didnt work first off. I had to install the libc development files so that the nvidia kernel module would compile. I then ran the nvidia shell script, choosing not to support 32bit open gl compatability mode on my amd64 hardy install. Dunno if thats the wrong choice or not

xorg.conf - Editied my monitor for the right v and h sync values, turned off dynamic twin view and the nvidia splash and its all good.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Nullack View Post
    On a fresh hardy install this didnt work first off. I had to install the libc development files so that the nvidia kernel module would compile. I then ran the nvidia shell script, choosing not to support 32bit open gl compatability mode on my amd64 hardy install. Dunno if thats the wrong choice or not

xorg.conf - Editied my monitor for the right v and h sync values, turned off dynamic twin view and the nvidia splash and its all good.
    Thanks for the info! I incorporated the libc-dev package into the post and linked to yours for the rest.

Beans

No worries

The reason I modify the dynamictwinview is that I dont use two monitors and due to a limitation of X, with it enabled the nvidia driver incorrectly reports the refresh rate of the monitor. I disable the logo simply because I dont want to see it on boot.

With the monitor edits, I adjust the conf to correctly deal with my monitors' valid vertical and horizontal sync ranges. Each monitor model will have different values. I find EDID doesnt always use the correct ones.

Heres my edits to xorg.conf:

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "Monitor0"
    VendorName "Sony"
    ModelName "CPD-G520"
    HorizSync 30.0 - 130.0
    VertRefresh 48.0 - 170.0
    Option "DPMS"
    EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier "Device0"
    Driver "nvidia"
    VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
    Option "DynamicTwinView" "FALSE"
    Option "NoLogo" "TRUE"
    EndSection

Beans

Installation guide works seamlessly on a 3-day old Hardy 64bit install, thanks very much.
    The only thing that needed changing was driver version - to a 64bit driver for AMD systems and 8800GT card (located here: http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_d...173.14.05.html )
    This was the most recent driver as of 10th June 2008 12:00 GMT.

Thanks again.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast