Thread: firefox leaking memory???

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

firefox leaking memory???

I am trying to read this page:
    http://www.scribd.com/doc/2945245/Dr...res-in-pencil-

But the page seems to eat every bit of memory I have.. 512MB of RAM and 1GB of swap. And everything becomes reaaaally reeeeaaaly slow.

Is it just me, or is this a firefox bug? And what happens if you have more memory? Does it eat all anyway?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: firefox leaking memory???

I just tried that page with Epiphany (which uses the same backend as Firefox 3) and it didn't noticeably increase memory usage. I would try disabling your plugins and see if Firefox still has problems or trying Epiphany or Opera and see if they have the same problem.
    Don't try to make something "fast" until you are able to quantify "slow".

Beans

Firefox is notorious for memory leaks, but usually not in the application itself, but rather in the extensions you install. If you're like me, then you have quite a few . Try disabling some and gradually narrow down what is causing the problem, if it is an extension.
    I do not use Ubuntu any more, nor have I ever used Gnome. Therefore, I tend to give advice that is distro- and DE-agnostic, which, while perhaps not the easiest way, will allow you to move freely between machines.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by vor View Post
    I just tried that page with Epiphany (which uses the same backend as Firefox 3) and it didn't noticeably increase memory usage.
    If you wait a bit Epiphany also displays increased memory usage. It is related to that Ipaper that is loading.