Thread: Problem with Kcron

Beans

Problem with Kcron

I have only just started using Ubuntu in the last couple of months.

I wanted to record some radio shows and used these instructions

http://www.instructables.com/id/Sche...ngs-in-Ubuntu/

Here is my script

Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    NOW=$(date +"%b-%d-%y")
    mplayer "mms://66.70.119.243/B105" -ao pcm:file=/media/Music/Internet_Radio/Temp_Files/mystream.wav -vc dummy -vo null
    lame -m s /media/Music/Internet_Radio/Temp_Files/mystream.wav -o "/media/Music/Internet_Radio/HamishAndy/Hamish_Andy-$NOW.mp3"
    rm /media/Music/Internet_Radio/Temp_Files/mystream.wav
    As per the instructions i have a second file with

Code:
    pkill mpplayer
    The idea being that the first script is initiated to start the recording, then the second script is called to stop it. Then it turns it into a mp3 file.

If I enter this all in terminal it works great.

I then set up Kcron and it also all works if I choose the "Run Now" function of Kcron.

Problem is that it does not run as scheduled.

Could anyone please help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Problem with Kcron

Does Kcron keep a log of any errors that may have occurred when the job tried to run?

You can also add this to the end of your mplayer command

Code:
    > /home/username/cron.txt

That way, if there is a specific error, you should see it in the file.

Beans

ok Thanks for your reply.

Adding that for some reason makes the mplayer part work.

Now however when lame starts it simply puts a 8kb file into the directory.

Of course it works fine in terminal.

i added your txt suggestion to the lame line and the resulting txt file is empty.

Beans

I have been looking at this all day. The recording with mplayer is ok but this line

Code:
    lame -m s /media/Music/Internet_Radio/Temp_Files/mystream.wav -o "/media/Music/Internet_Radio/HamishAndy/Hamish_Andy-$NOW.mp3"
    So the same old story applies it runs in terminal. It even runs when you "test" it in Kcron but as soon as you schedule it you get a 40kb (5sec) mp3 file.

I have tested this on 3 computers now and they all do the same.

Can anyone please give me help or indicate what i could look at.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Interesting

I have been testing this too and my experience is the same.
    As I am total newby I can only wait and see if anybody can come up with solution to this
    Regards

Beans

please remember that I am also a beginner.

By chance my now works.

here is my specific code that works, I am sorry I do not want to make it generic in case I write something false.
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    NOW=$(date +"%b-%d-%y")
    mplayer "mms://66.70.119.243/B105" -ao pcm:file=/media/General/Radio/Hamish_Andy/mystream_$NOW.wav -vc dummy -vo null > /media/General/Radio/Hamish_Andy/error.log
    lame -m s /media/General/Radio/Hamish_Andy/mystream_$NOW.wav -o "/media/General/Radio/Hamish_Andy/Hamish and Andy - $NOW.mp3" >/media/General/Radio/Hamish_Andy/scripterror.log 2>&1
    #mplayer "http://resources.b105.com.au/listenfeed/b105.asx" -ao pcm:file=/media/General/Radio/mystream_NOW.wav -vc dummy -vo null > /media/General/Radio/kcron_$NOW.txt
    I am pretty sure that the two error logs are what made it work for me. They just overwrite each day.

Beans

This Kcron thing is wierd. Has it worked for anyone?. I have tried to use Kcron on different versions of Kubuntu, Fedora core, etc . It doesn't seem to work in any case. Is this app actually suppossed to do something.

Beans

I got it to work on something small very easily. I am a total beginner and just wrote some small script and then tested it.

Oh I also started with the GUI. Once it produced the file I then edited the file myself for little tweaks.

As you question is so general and because I am a beginner I am sorry but I do not think I can help further.

Beans

I have the same problem with my Ubuntu HH. KCron seem to do absolutely nothing. No matter what applications or scripts I schedule, it does simply nothing. Cron deamon is running, anacron as well. ;(