Page 280 of 366 FirstFirst ... 180230270278279280281282290330 ... LastLast
Results 2,791 to 2,800 of 3658

Thread: Things that you dislike in Ubuntu

prodigy_ is offline May the Ubuntu Be With You!
    Beans

Re: Things that you dislike in Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by jcoles View Post
    * the 15-second screen blank-out that occurs a minute or two after startup
    There's is probably a problem with drivers for your particular hardware. And driver issues can indeed stay unresolved forever regardless of which Linux flavor you use.

Quote Originally Posted by jcoles View Post
    The keyring problem is the worst one. When the "Unlock keyring" dialog pops up on the host system, the keyboard is unavailable to the guest system. Wrong! Wrong! Wrong!
    How is this wrong? There are two possible scenarios:
    1) Host is a workstation you directly interact with. In this case you can provide the password when asked to.
    2) Host is a remote server that has GUI installed *and* running. Then the solution is to disable GUI on the server since having it there makes no sense anyway.
    Last edited by prodigy_; April 28th, 2013 at 12:57 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

New bugs! I know it is not "sexay" to write device drivers and fix bugs but that is what users really want. 12.10 is full of bugs that did not exist in 10.04. My optical drives do not mount correctly, eth0 is not detected correctly, Nautilus has new bugs and configuration options have been buried in dconf-editor, and the "launcher" is erratic. These are MAJOR issues! Even Sudoku is screwed up! I don't give a rat's hind end about unity. I want a stable system, compatable with my hardware, with no bugs! O.K. I know all software has some bugs but the bugs in 12.10 are absolutely ridiculous!

Beans

I hate that Ubuntu won't be for free in the very near future. I have that gut feeling it won't be

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by babbington2 View Post
    I hate that Ubuntu won't be for free in the very near future. I have that gut feeling it won't be
    Yes it will...it's Mark Shuttleworth's Ubuntu Manifesto which is: Ubuntu Is and Will ALWAYS BE FREE...
    The commercial ventures have nothing to do with the availability of the Ubuntu desktop os...He is committed to Open Source...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by babbington2 View Post
    Nice try, Richard Stallman.
    Backups are amazing. 99% of data loss can be prevented by spending less than $100 on an external drive.
    If you have seen an error, there is a good chance someone else has, too. Google is your friend.

Beans

While I absolutely hate how he forces "free" down your throat, have nothing against free software and some of it is actually quite nice (KDE for example) but he's no worse than anyone else trying to throw stuff at you either.
    I do not 100% agree with that, but you have to look at his side of things as well. Back in the late 70s is when people stopped sharing source code in a way not sharing source is a good thing, if to many people have it, it may not progress but if only a few have it, it might progress. Now I think source should be included with all software maybe except assets like games for example but the source should be on the disk or however you obtain it. They should allow you to make your modification and share them, but only those who purchased the software can use use it.

A Pure 100% free system is just idiotic and impossible, to achieve this you must build everything from scratch including the hardware which I doubt anyone of you can do and including me.

Beans

Things I dislike about Ubuntu are...

1. It's too user friendly. I just get overwhelmed with GUI.
    2. It does not allow for very much customization during installation.
    3. It has drivers that is unnecessarily added in order to not confuse new users.
    4. It has the Unity Desktop Environment as default.
    5. Unity does not allow for customization unless you call changing the size of the icons customization.
    6. Settings do not give you much freedom.
    7. It has unnecessary applications that people can add later themselves.
    CrunchBang Linux
    Plz no tpe lik dis or no anser!!
    The search tool can be found in the upper right corner of your screen, please use it to your advantage, especially before asking questions.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Rukiri View Post
    While I absolutely hate how he forces "free" down your throat, have nothing against free software and some of it is actually quite nice (KDE for example) but he's no worse than anyone else trying to throw stuff at you either.
    I do not 100% agree with that, but you have to look at his side of things as well. Back in the late 70s is when people stopped sharing source code in a way not sharing source is a good thing, if to many people have it, it may not progress but if only a few have it, it might progress. Now I think source should be included with all software maybe except assets like games for example but the source should be on the disk or however you obtain it. They should allow you to make your modification and share them, but only those who purchased the software can use use it.

A Pure 100% free system is just idiotic and impossible, to achieve this you must build everything from scratch including the hardware which I doubt anyone of you can do and including me.
    How is he forcing free down your throat? It is an Open-Source Linux project, would you prefer Windows, which doesn't for "free" down your throat but rather, "pay up"?
    Who said they had anything against free software?
    It is not a pure free system, but rather a free Operating System. This does not mean that your computer is free, but rather the PLATFORM in which it runs on is FOSS.
    CrunchBang Linux
    Plz no tpe lik dis or no anser!!
    The search tool can be found in the upper right corner of your screen, please use it to your advantage, especially before asking questions.

Beans

Actually stallman runs hardware that is all free down to the bios, I guess I could say he's pushing it towards you. I only pay for quality software, adobe falls into this category as well as cube base. I use my mac for gfx/music production.

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

He advocates for free software, he makes his point, this is called freedom of speech (ironic "free software" is like freedom of speech according to Stallman). How is he exercising his right to free speech forcing you to do anything? MS is the entity that tries to force you to use proprietary software by using all kind of dirty tricks to undermine open standard and FLOSS ( e.g "secure" boot aka restricted boot is the latest, and the endless fake patent allegations to shake down medium businesses for using Linux)

How is Stallman running free hardware any of your business?

Page 280 of 366 FirstFirst ... 180230270278279280281282290330 ... LastLast