Page 272 of 366 FirstFirst ... 172222262270271272273274282322 ... LastLast
Results 2,711 to 2,720 of 3658

Thread: Things that you dislike in Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Things that you dislike in Ubuntu

1) I profoundly dislike the 'feature' in Unity that requires you to look at a directory window in either 'Places' or 'Tree' mode, neither which is fully functional. They should be combined, but if that is impossible, at least their toggle should be on the pop-up context menu, not by an obligatory trip to the menu bar. I also wonder why the 'List/Compact List/Icon' toggle can't be on the context menu.

Xubuntu's Thunar file manager is much more well-behaved, although it does have an annoying bug that expands the 'File System' listing when any platter is selected. I heard this will be fixed in the next release.

One thing I like in Thunar is batch file rename: select multiple files. Many character substitution modes are then available to let you rename them all with one action. You can even change tags in image and music files. This does not exist in Unity, AFAIK.

2) The network manager is an embarrassment. It takes too long to lock in, and on some computers, you have to disable networking, go into suspend, then come out of suspend and enable networking again to get a signal. My current phone (HTC One -V with Android) and a 2002 iBook both acquire wifi almost instantly.
    Last edited by alfu; January 17th, 2013 at 01:22 AM.
    I just want to run modern apps under Mac O/S 9 on a PC. But I can't. So here I am.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I dislike the way things that used to work randomly break, and how unreliable Ubuntu is. I mean, I always run a standard install with Unity, and today my file system magically broke (for no apparent reason).

Anyhow, I switched back to openSUSE, likely for good. I like KDE and some of the innovations that Ubuntu came up with, but the lack of reliability is a huge turn off. I can deal with the slightly more annoying KDE if it means I can rely on my computer.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeb85 View Post
    I dislike the way things that used to work randomly break, and how unreliable Ubuntu is. I mean, I always run a standard install with Unity, and today my file system magically broke (for no apparent reason).
    I've noticed that too. I get something working right on my system and settle down to enjoy it. Then six months later the next release breaks it somehow. And when you try to find out anything about it, the error messages or log files or whatever are so cryptic there's no chance of a layperson puzzling it out.

Beans

Exclamation Re: Things that you dislike in Ubuntu

Scanning interfacing is unreliable. Why?

I hate that scanner support is still flakey after 20 years of Linux.
    xsane/sane aren't reliable, constantly giving

"Failed to start scanner: Document feeder out of documents"

I suppose that's why xsane's version number is 0.996 - not ready for prime time.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by bitsnark View Post
    Scanning interfacing is unreliable. Why?

I hate that scanner support is still flakey after 20 years of Linux.
    xsane/sane aren't reliable, constantly giving

"Failed to start scanner: Document feeder out of documents"

I suppose that's why xsane's version number is 0.996 - not ready for prime time.
    Have you submitted a bug? Problems can't be fixed if no one knows about them.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by peyre View Post
    I've noticed that too. I get something working right on my system and settle down to enjoy it. Then six months later the next release breaks it somehow. And when you try to find out anything about it, the error messages or log files or whatever are so cryptic there's no chance of a layperson puzzling it out.
    Yup. openSUSE is kind of the opposite - a ton of bugs initially when you install it, KDE annoyances, ugly fonts, etc.... But once you fix it, things stay fixed pretty much forever, even after version upgrades.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeb85 View Post
    Yup. openSUSE is kind of the opposite - a ton of bugs initially when you install it, KDE annoyances, ugly fonts, etc.... But once you fix it, things stay fixed pretty much forever, even after version upgrades.
    I have always been happy with LTS releases -
    PopularPages: A very handy Documentation Search Tool used by many.
    PopularPages Wiki Thread
    My New Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by BlinkinCat View Post
    I have always been happy with LTS releases -
    My other computer (desktop) has 12.04 on it right now, and I found even that release was buggy almost until 12.10 came out. It's solid now, so I likely won't change it, but I don't have much confidence that it will stay that when I upgrade to the next LTS.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Xubuntu 12.04.1 LTS is just as great as the best distro! Love it!
    Last edited by Marzata; January 22nd, 2013 at 08:31 AM.

Beans

I can't stand Unity and Zeitgeist. I quickly reverted to Gnome Classic.

These two are certainly useful if you are new to computers/ linux in general, but... don't need, don't want.

Page 272 of 366 FirstFirst ... 172222262270271272273274282322 ... LastLast