Results 2,261 to 2,270 of 3658

Thread: Things that you dislike in Ubuntu

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Things that you hate in Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by MentatGhola View Post
    I get sick of waiting like 20-30 seconds for my apps to load in the dash.

I have been having tons of problems with 11.04 and 11.10 but I still think Unity is on the right track and when all the bugs get worked out its gonna be pretty damn cool.
    +1

Dash search content was unsearchable for at least one minute (sometimes two) on my HP Mini.

I've too encountered some additional problems with 11.10 than normal. Not really certain why either; the system seems very stable but applications keep encountering issues.

Beans

Yeah just tons and tons of bugs but rarely if ever crashes. On my last install of .10 I literally thought my desktop was broken because I never thought to wait for god knows how long for apps button to load. After a clean install i caught on when there was still a delay but it eventually loaded.

Another problem that has been driving me crazy on multiple installs is that when I come out of suspend very often I get no mouse/cursor clicks though I can still move it around and still get keyboard too. Plus I'm having extreme migraines over banshee as well as enlightenment desktop repo issues. Though enlightenment is not officially supported so I can't really complain. The list goes on.

I thought 11.10 was going to be the polished bug free edition of 11.04 and boy was I excited but mistaken. I hope my excitement for a polished Unity desktop in 12 doesn't leave me disappointed again.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Bug #11107734 in gnome-shell (Ubuntu): "Gnome 3's network manager quietly despises you."

Bug Description

Gnome 3's network manager quietly despises you. If you ever make the network manager unhappy, it passive-aggressively ensures that you will never be happy again.

Expected behavior: More or less anything other than the

Actual behavior: Connecting to the wrong wireless network causes the network manager to subtly but consistently punish you for eternity for tempting it with the possibility.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Visit your local coffee shop and accidentally select the private, behind-the-bar wireless network.

2. Go ahead and click Cancel. It's already too late.

3. Suspend and resume your notebook. Watch as the network manager feigns a lengthy attempt to connect to the protected network, then coyly prompts you for a password.

4. Click Cancel, give the network manager a flick on the nose, and select the unsecured, public network.

5. Repeat from step 3 until you find a new coffee shop.

Workaround: Open Network Settings. Select the offending network from the dropdown list in the Settings window and find that its settings in the dropdown menus cannot be changed unless you successfully connect with it, which you can't. Select it from the panel's network menu again anyway.

When the password prompt comes up this time, click Connect, instead of Cancel. You're a clever sort; you'll trick it yet!

While it's still trying to connect, click Configure. Think about disabling "Connect Automatically" at the upper left. See this.

Become dejected, then impatient. Allow your impatience to build until you accidentally click Configure in the main network settings window twice. Be astonished at the miraculous appearance of the old Edit Connections screen. Select the new connection at the very, very bottom of the list and find that you still can't change its settings, but can delete it from the list. Do so.

Never do it again.

Alternately, try typing the wrong password for any secured network, anywhere.
    Last edited by Copper Bezel; December 16th, 2011 at 02:54 AM.

Beans

I'm quite happy with all the linux equivalent programs I have, but I do wish I could use photoshop instead of gimp, I know some people have got certain versions working in wine but mine won't.

As for ubuntu itself I'm not a big fan of the dashboard, still think it could do with some tweaking and it'd be good to have a right click menu on icons in there that can let you do things like uninstall the program or even just delete the icon from the dashboard. A few times now I've tried removing a program and the icons have stayed in the dashboard.

I've also tried creating shortcuts to folders in several folders and even on the desktop and after rebooting they no longer work.
    Last edited by guyver_dio; December 16th, 2011 at 06:12 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by guyver_dio View Post
    I'm quite happy with all the linux equivalent programs I have, but I do wish I could use photoshop instead of gimp, I know some people have got certain versions working in wine but mine won't.
    For those among us that aren't graphics professionals, gimp is TOO much.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by wolfen69 View Post
    gimp is pretty full featured, it's not that it can't do what I need it to do it's just

1) I use photoshop for work and
    2) I know it so well it's like an extension of me

Gimp also has that whole multi-window interface that alot of apple programs have. I can never get used to that, try to minimize it thinking your minimizing the program and the sidebars and that stay open and your like 'wtf i minimized you'. 1 program, 1 window that's how I like it.

The other must have is a good IDE, thankfully both eclipse and netbeans are available on linux. I use IntelliJ at work but I prefer netbeans.
    Last edited by guyver_dio; December 17th, 2011 at 04:43 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by wolfen69 View Post
    That's what I thought at first. But once I got the hang of it--and the bits I use regularly (in Windows I was content with MS Paint!), it was fine.

There was a little bit of a learning curve, but it was easier to get over than I expected. Now the main inconvenience is that it takes so long to load.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by peyre View Post
    That's what I thought at first.
    I was being somewhat sarcastic.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

the lack of integration with picasa web albums, with anything linux native is a pain
    sure there's a wined up version, which breaks everytime there's an update
    the shotwell interface just isn't as easy to use
    even a 3 year old version of picasa is far superior in terms of ease of use

sure gimp does it all, as far editing goes
    but once again the interface is less than optimal
    It's Nice How Free From the Restraints of Reality you are...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by guyver_dio View Post
    gimp is pretty full featured, it's not that it can't do what I need it to do it's just

1) I use photoshop for work and
    2) I know it so well it's like an extension of me

Gimp also has that whole multi-window interface that alot of apple programs have. I can never get used to that, try to minimize it thinking your minimizing the program and the sidebars and that stay open and your like 'wtf i minimized you'. 1 program, 1 window that's how I like it.

The other must have is a good IDE, thankfully both eclipse and netbeans are available on linux. I use IntelliJ at work but I prefer netbeans.
    I'm the opposite when it comes to 1 window. I've been using multiple monitors for over 10 years. I having a program that only uses one window is too restrictive for me. You can't beat the convenience of dragging components of the application to a different window/monitor while I work on a particular component such as the editing on my monitor.

More and more the developers are opening up to this convenience by making the windows undockable from the work space. There isn't much I hate worst than having to drag a work space between multiple monitors in order to put a tool bar or other component temporarily out of the way.

-- L. James

--
    L. D. James
    ljames@apollo3.com
    www.apollo3.com/~ljames

Page 227 of 366 FirstFirst ... 127177217225226227228229237277327 ... LastLast