Page 323 of 366 FirstFirst ... 223273313321322323324325333 ... LastLast
Results 3,221 to 3,230 of 3658

Thread: Things that you dislike in Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Things that you dislike in Ubuntu

You still have to search and search to fix things. It's always like an ongoing project/part time job. You have to keep a windows install if you have any real work to do on the computer. Since I upgrade the IOS software on iphone I "have unable to mount/trust this computer" error. I have spent all morning googling since right now for work I have to boot the machine back into win7. Major pain and typical IMO.

Everything works for a few months and you forget how you got it all set up. Then you bork your system somehow and you have to look everything up all over again.

I have never used Unity I hate it.

They dropped support for Compiz/Emerald and it is a real job to get that all working in flashback, but it can be done.

Yeah it's nice to run ubuntu but I have to work. Rinky dink tinker toy for tweakers. I like it and at least I did not get rid of it totally this time, I just keep booting back and forth.

I have a real love/hate relationship with it. I don't want to post this without saying I really love it as well hahahah.

Yours
    FattyZ

I just copy and paste commands into the terminal from the internet. It either gets fixed or it stops working.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by fattyz View Post
    You still have to search and search to fix things.
    It's been my experience with any OS that when I modify something in an unofficial and unsupported fashion, or add unsupported software, then my chances for trouble increase significantly.

On the other hand, if I let good enough alone, things remain good enough.

Change always introduces the risk of error. Altering Ubuntu or Windows or OS X in a ways that are either unsupported by or unknown to the OS vender is setting yourself up for breakage, especially when the vendor applies updates and other changes. Those changes must assume they are being applied to a standard baseline installation. If I've altered something and it breaks, I'm to blame, not Canonical or Microsoft or Apple.

One of the down sides of open source is that the internet is littered with bad, wrong, vague and outdated information and advice that never seems to go away. Users need to be careful when trolling the net looking for fixes, etc., that the advice they use actually has been tested successfully with the software they are running.

Since I upgrade the IOS software on iphone I "have unable to mount/trust this computer" error.
    Apple has a strong financial incentive to make sure their software and its updates can get along with Windows. They have no such incentive in regard to Ubuntu. Or any other Linux distribution. In fact, as any number of vendors have said, the sheer number of Linux distributions, the differences between them, and the rapid changes that occur are, alone, enough to keep them away from Linux compatibility.

I have never used Unity I hate it.
    Just about every Linux desktop interface on the planet is available for Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

And if you never used unity, why would you hate it???
    Seriously, it's just a dock...unless you have a total hate of docks it is actually very nice to use...IF you give it a fair chance...like using it for a few weeks...not 10 minutes like some do and immediately decide against it...

ibjsb4 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans

not 10 minutes like some do
    +1

It takes 20 minutes

Beans

While I do not hate as a general thing, I do strongly dislike several things about Ububtu 14.04 after being used by for 10 days
    1. cannot move the taskbar - I've seen online that; "too bad, Cannonicl wants it that way."
    2. cannot run Aduacity without jumping way too many hoops
    3. when I copied all my saved data files to Ubuntu all the file named were changed to lowercase
    that means that i have over 15,000 links to change OR 15,000 files to re-name
    - I've seen online that; "too bad, Cannonicl wants it that way."
    4. Made a script and got it into the startup files, worked for two days, now wont start with the system
    5. I got frustrated with win8 and believed Ubuntu would be better -not a chance
    6. Cannonical seems to be just as bad as M$ when it comes to "too bad. That's the way it is!

Struggling with the beast, but; believe/hope it will get better.

HP Pavillion g7 - 2269wm
    AMD Quad-Core A8-4500M Accelerated Processor
    17.3" diagonal HD+ BrightView LED Display
    Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Trinity [Radeon HD 7640G]
    Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Trinity HDMI Audio Controller
    Qualcomm Atheros AR9485 Wireless Network Adapter (rev 01)
    500 GB HDD
    DVD A DS8A9SH
    6144MB DDR3 SDRAM
    DVD Optical Drive
    20140801 - Ubuntu 14.04LTS Trusty Tahr OS
    Last edited by tuxbonewits.com; August 19th, 2014 at 08:49 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

As far as Unity I like the old desktop. It's just a personal preference and the additional system resources it takes. I did not know there were other desktop interfaces available I will look at that. I also have always wanted to look at other distros but again, all this stuff takes time. I DO enjoy it as a Hobbiest. I love spending hours tweaking it and making it do cool stuff like the desktop cube and it's FREE and open source and on and on.

BUT, I have a hard enough time making myself work, that's all I'm sayin'. I hate win 7 as much as anyone, and I love Ubuntu as much and am happy I put the time in to learn what little I know. Windows is not really easy either I know that. Anyone who is the "network admin" at home knows that. ie: "Dad the wifi is out again." Most people need someone around still who can make the computers, phones and game consoles work.

When windose totally fails what do you do? Grab a Ubuntu boot disk.

So there is lots and lots of good stuff about it and I am going to keep using it. But the question was what didn't I like.

This is a great thread thx
    Last edited by fattyz; August 13th, 2014 at 10:50 PM.
    FattyZ

I just copy and paste commands into the terminal from the internet. It either gets fixed or it stops working.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I don't like the categories in Software Center. I'd like to see all programs at once. Bonus is that I can uninstall what I do not need - in Windows I had to keep IE and other annoying programs.

And it never gets boring with Ubuntu: fixing programs and trying to install software by writing actual commands into Terminal or searcing and googling to fix something simple. So it's pretty time consuming, even when it's something simple, but like previous said: there is lots of good and cool stuff and I'll keep it for sure.

Most of the things I dislike are caused by my low Ubuntu skills.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by karl15 View Post
    I don't like the categories in Software Center. I'd like to see all programs at once.
    Synaptic will give you a finer-grained look at things. It displays the individual packages available in the repositories and will also show any dependencies that will be installed and/or if anything will be removed if you go through with the installation of a package.

All the packages for all Ubuntu releases are searchable and browsable at packages.ubuntu.com.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I like Ubuntu 14.04 and Unity. I have been using Ubuntu Unity since Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (Precise Pangolin). I have Windows 8.1 and it is a piece of crap!

Beans

Unity is a strange thing and I can't see the point with it. As long as Gnome is an option I'll stick with Ubuntu, after that I'll find something else. What's the idea of NOT having a main menu???

There are some problems with Ubuntu. Things change fast and suddenly things don't work. Upgrading to 14.04 did not work and then going back to 12.04 didn't work either. Now my system informs me that 14.04 is available, bur when I click Upgrade, I'm informed that a full upgrade is not possible, so I'll stay here in 12.04 rather than crash the system again.

Page 323 of 366 FirstFirst ... 223273313321322323324325333 ... LastLast