Page 322 of 348 FirstFirst ... 222272312320321322323324332 ... LastLast
Results 3,211 to 3,220 of 3479

Thread: Things that you dislike in Ubuntu

Beans

Re: Things that you dislike in Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by buzzingrobot View Post
    Compiz.

Open System Monitor and watch it steadily consume memory.

Since 12.04, the first click on the workspace pager in the Launcher results in a long delay accompanied by disk activity, then a crash and an Apport popup telling me Compiz has crashed. Every time. It's a known bug.

I've no use for wobbly windows or the other Compiz bling.
    Which Ubuntu? Actually it has become rather efficient since 13.04/13.10. Compiz is quite a bit more than eye candies. Despite the recurring bug of some times forgetting hot corners I find workspace switching and multitasking a lot more efficient with Compiz than without and still very ahead of other DEs (including gnome-shell)
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; June 28th, 2014 at 05:49 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain20122 View Post
    Which Ubuntu? Actually it has become rather efficient since 13.04/13.10. Compiz is quite a bit more than eye candies. Despite the recurring bug of some times forgetting hot corners I find workspace switching and multitasking a lot more efficient with Compiz than without and still very ahead of other DEs (including gnome-shell)
    I've seen that initial pager startup bug on every new install of every Unity release since 12.04. After that's over, the pager works as expected. Compiz does, though, often seem to have a memory leak.

Once I have apps open in workspaces, I seldom use the pager, though. My use of Gnome Shell with Dash-to-Dock is the same as Unity: Click an icon in the dock to switch. Gnome Shell does allow opening, via middle-click, of a new app in a new workspace, eliminating the need to manually move to the new workspace first. (At least through 3.10. It seems to be gone in 3.12.)

I disable hot corners, tiling, etc., in Unity. I don't use compositing elsewhere if I can disable it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

It seems to be trying to separate itself from Linux as much as possible even though obviously it still is Linux.

When you go to download Ubuntu it takes you to a donation page and the download does NOT start automatically. You have to scroll to bottom and press the text link to download. This just feels very cheap and not the way to ask for donations. The download should of already started by the time the donation page is showed not the other way around.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Nikolai508 View Post
    The download should of already started by the time the donation page is showed not the other way around.
    I fully agree.

However, it is recommended to use torrents to download the ISO - to ensure not only a faster download, but also the integrity of the downloaded ISO.

Official link to torrents : http://www.ubuntu.com/download/alternative-downloads (no donation links there )
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags
    Am I not replying your post? This is why.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Nikolai508 View Post
    It seems to be trying to separate itself from Linux as much as possible even though obviously it still is Linux.
    Many people are scared, or at least wary, of moving to Linux. And, in fact, you don't move to some thing called "Linux". You move to one of many distributions of Linux (itself something that confuses prospective users). Because Ubuntu is specifically targeting new users, it makes sense to focus on the Ubuntu brand as the identity of a product with their interests in mind, rather than other distributions that refuse to alter their dogmatic approaches and seem to expect choosing to use Linux to be equivalent to adopting a new, rather rigid, ideology and putting up with a a lot of inconveniences just to be faithful to that ideology.

When you go to download Ubuntu it takes you to a donation page and the download does NOT start automatically. You have to scroll to bottom and press the text link to download. This just feels very cheap and not the way to ask for donations. The download should of already started by the time the donation page is showed not the other way around.
    Well, maybe, But, there is an equally inappropriate, widespread, and rather romanticized feeling that making and supporting FOSS products ought to be strictly a charity, never a business, and that FOSS users are entitled to gratis products.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Works to well, so you forget how to fix things. I have get addicted to Unity.
    /Azyx

Ubuntu 14.04LTS 64bit, 14.04 Lubuntu 32-bit on eeePCs and OSX on a G4 800MHz iMac (iLamp). I think I have an W7 on one of my Virtualbox machine under 14.04LTS?

Beans

I truly love Ubuntu!!!!!!!!!!!!! One thing I'm not liking is the guest account and disabling it is like tryign to pass a law through Congress!!!!! As an open-source OS, why have the option of a guest account even installed? Basically, whatever account you setup when you install Ubuntu, should be the ONLY one and if you need any, you setup another user account. This gueast account feature stops many of people I know from switching over to Ubuntu. So, after many version, why do you guys keep this when you install your OS? Why is it so hard to remove guest user? I would like to see work arounds for iTunes and other windows ran programs. Other than that, it's not enough to go back to windows in my opinion.....

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

The main thing I dislike about Ubuntu is that when I open an application I am going to use in a moment, but not exactly right now, the new window opens over what I'm doing right now, interrupting my work, which is a nightmare for a time-pressed multi-tasker. Some applications take a little time to open. If I am already doing something, I want the new application to open in the background so it is ready at a click to be used when I want it... and not before!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by LaJuan View Post
    One thing I'm not liking is the guest account and disabling it is like tryign to pass a law through Congress!!!!! As an open-source OS, why have the option of a guest account even installed? Basically, whatever account you setup when you install Ubuntu, should be the ONLY one and if you need any, you setup another user account. This gueast account feature stops many of people I know from switching over to Ubuntu. So, after many version, why do you guys keep this when you install your OS? Why is it so hard to remove guest user?
    I think I know what you mean...In windows the guest account prevented "guests and programs from making changes to the os settings, with ubuntu without the password that can't happen anyhow!!!(security).
    To turn it off there is an option in ubuntu tweak, which I use use anyways to keep my system clean and for the settings.
    Oh! One more thing guest account does keep prying visitor eyes from your personal files...like comprimising photos, videos, music etc...
    Last edited by Cliff_Simonds; August 5th, 2014 at 08:43 AM.
    For better System Stability and Security avoid 3rd party programs & apps where you can; and only use those you really need.
    I dual boot Ubuntu and Windows 7 HP and my last "BSOD" was in April 2012!!!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff_Simonds View Post
    I think I know what you mean...In windows the guest account prevented "guests and programs from making changes to the os settings, with ubuntu without the password that can't happen anyhow!!!(security).
    To turn it off there is an option in ubuntu tweak, which I use use anyways to keep my system clean and for the settings.
    Oh! One more thing guest account does keep prying visitor eyes from your personal files...like comprimising photos, videos, music etc...
    Thanks Cliff!!!!!!!!! I'll checkout the tweaks. Which program do you use to perform this tweak? I have explained this to many that they can't access your files and photos and most don't even want anybody on their computer. With this, maybe I can drag a few more to the light.....

Page 322 of 348 FirstFirst ... 222272312320321322323324332 ... LastLast