Page 297 of 366 FirstFirst ... 197247287295296297298299307347 ... LastLast
Results 2,961 to 2,970 of 3658

Thread: Things that you dislike in Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Things that you dislike in Ubuntu

really painful just setting up display. have to install app after app after app to get things that were simple and easily available in older releases. some people find this fun--the customization thing--I just want to get on with it

this menu thing at the top? awful.

Beans

It's worse than Visa.

Seriously, it lacks compatibility for basic parts like dlink wlan cards, it fails at multi monitor support, the options are few (and buggy), it throws an exception and asks if I'd like to send an error report every few minutes, it corrupted my HDD, when you apply settings it logs you out, it needs a password, did I mention no driver support?, and the worst thing is..... the linux community seems to exist in a state of denial about the general awfulness of linux.

Seriously, a good OS should a) be sable, b) allow the user to perform basic tasks quickly and without errors, c) have good default customization options, and d) it shouldn't corrupt your sodding HDDs.

God help us when support for Win7 ends....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Most of that is seriously unusual, and I don't know whether it's a bad install or just unusual hardware conditions. There are certainly a few problems on a typical Ubuntu install that a typical Windows install doesn't have, but I've not had WiFi card problems in Ubuntu for several years, and I certainly haven't had the session crash on changing settings (what were you trying to change?) Looking at your support thread, you obviously had a bad experience here to begin with, and it's very unusual (and extremely unfortunate to say the least) that the installer somehow messed up one of your existing partitions - it's supposed to, and generally does, create a new partition for the new system, and I haven't seen what you're reporting happen when that option is selected. (You could get there by doing manual partitioning in the installer, but I'm assuming you didn't do that.) Bad day, in any case, and I think that if everyone's first experience with Ubuntu or Linux was like that, you'd see a lot fewer people here at the Ubuntu forums.

it throws an exception and asks if I'd like to send an error report every few minutes,
    This bit is annoying, though. I get a hell of a lot of these, seemingly unrelated to anything the desktop is actually doing, and always have to disable Apport (the service that produces them.) Very irritating and not at all comforting, these messages.
    I know I shouldn't use tildes for decoration, but they always make me feel at home~

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sharks View Post
    What are the things that u hate in Ubuntu?
    i use it from 1999 i have 2 fix the bugs when i fixit i do update or upgrade i have start again always the same zhit i dont like it anymore repeating as always its like windows then without virus thx for understanding iam dutch

Beans

In 13.04 they have changed thing in nautilus(nemo). Now I can not use "open with" while selecting a folder, also I have to press m instead of r to rename a file why change that?

Beans

Just found a patch to bring back my old Nautilus. http://www.webupd8.org/2013/04/get-n...in-ubuntu.html

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Interesting - I thought the "open with" tab for folders had been disabled for quite a bit longer than that. (It'd only be relevant for switching the default file manager, which isn't a common task.) And which were you using - Nautilus, or Nemo from the Mint PPA?

I'm also curious about the "rename" shortcut - I only knew about F2. There's another shortcut for renaming a file?
    I know I shouldn't use tildes for decoration, but they always make me feel at home~

Beans

it is making me go bald from pulling my hair out lol

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I can't express how disappointed I am with 13.04. I actually started having problems (mainly with removable disks) in 12.04; those problems seem to have gone away, but I now have really lousy video playback, the fix for which (I guess) is to replace my nVidia drivers with something else. Why should I have to be fixing something that worked fine for years? And what was done to Nautilus is unforgivable. It used to be the best file manager I used; now it's the worst. (Yes, worse than Windows Explorer in XP, and way worse than Finder.) Why? I guess the developers may have some rationalization for this stuff, but breaking stuff that worked very well -- and telling people they've got to manually customize their systems just to restore previous functionality -- is not a prescription for success.

I've thought very seriously about reverting to 11.10, but everything I've read on that subject makes it look like I'd just be buying another bushel of headaches. The one thing I have learned is to stop updating just because an update is available. If I ever get another installation that I like -- and that works -- I'm sticking with it until there's a damn good reason to change.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by DrewT View Post
    I can't express how disappointed I am with 13.04. I actually started having problems (mainly with removable disks) in 12.04; those problems seem to have gone away, but I now have really lousy video playback, the fix for which (I guess) is to replace my nVidia drivers with something else. Why should I have to be fixing something that worked fine for years? And what was done to Nautilus is unforgivable. It used to be the best file manager I used; now it's the worst. (Yes, worse than Windows Explorer in XP, and way worse than Finder.) Why? I guess the developers may have some rationalization for this stuff, but breaking stuff that worked very well -- and telling people they've got to manually customize their systems just to restore previous functionality -- is not a prescription for success.

I've thought very seriously about reverting to 11.10, but everything I've read on that subject makes it look like I'd just be buying another bushel of headaches. The one thing I have learned is to stop updating just because an update is available. If I ever get another installation that I like -- and that works -- I'm sticking with it until there's a damn good reason to change.
    I was also disappointed by 13.04--similar problems on my main computer (I couldn't get it to install the nVidia driver properly and it would reset my display to 1024x768 60MHz on every reboot no matter what). I reverted to 12.10 on it and it's running just fine. My laptop is still running 12.04 because the latest versions don't support the old AMD processor on this ze4125. Nautilus hasn't been much of an issue for me because I'm a Xubuntu user and Xubuntu uses Thunar as its default file manager. Thunar is awesome--it's lightweight but still fully functional and includes a fully functional Send To in the right-click menu just like Windows Explorer. The only thing it doesn't do is let you manage shares--that is the one thing I still have to use Nautilus for.

Page 297 of 366 FirstFirst ... 197247287295296297298299307347 ... LastLast