Page 291 of 325 FirstFirst ... 191241281289290291292293301 ... LastLast
Results 2,901 to 2,910 of 3249

Thread: Things that you dislike in Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Things that you dislike in Ubuntu

Honestly there isn't a thing about the default install that I do like. Ubuntu still has one of the best repositories and the most ppas and 3rd party support, so that's what I use, but I mostly install everything from the minimal CD or use Xubuntu as a starting base anymore.

I've never liked any of the GUI package managers.
    I strongly dislike Unity and find that gnome3 doesn't work well as my main setup as I can sometimes need to have several hundred windows open with almost the same name, which sucks in that environment.
    I hate all the search functionality and history in the file system. I don't want my recent documents showing up anywhere. I don't need people to see some racy comic I was reading last evening when I go to open a text document in gedit. I don't need to search my own files; that's just silly.
    I'm not a big fan of integration on the desktop and prefer more modular setups like gnome2 or xfce.
    I've always disliked the slash screen, but that can be removed.
    I've been having a problem with versions 11.x to current getting hardware volume controls to control the correct sound output, but I'm sure I'll solve this once I get a little time to look into it.
    The wacom driver in the repositories is still broke as of 12.04, it does not support older tablets like the intuos2 correctly and you have to disable the driver and then load it manually after the system starts to get functionality.
    I have a bunch of other nit-picks about different packages, but most of them are simple little things I could compile myself if I really cared.

Right now I'm using some of xfce, compiz, one of the nautilus forks, and a bunch of other stuff and I'm pleased as pie. It just takes me longer to setup correctly whenever I upgrade to a new version then it did five years ago.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by OttifantSir View Post
    A lot of people has said this, but: Unity

The ONLY reason I start with a pure Ubuntu install, is to get the Software Center, as that is quite good (though aptd crashes/stalls often). Right after installation, I install a full GNOME 3 desktop and purge anything Unity. I have given it about 4 months of my life until now, and it's just getting worse and worse and worse. I tried it for two months when it came, and I give it two weeks on every new release, but it never fails: Back to Gnome Shell.

I have looked at the blogs, these forums, AskUbuntu and tried to make Unity work. It just doesn't. Add to it, that practically everything you want to do is one or two MORE clicks away than in Gnome Shell, and it's just not worth the time and effort.

I have friends that are not now, nor have they ever been, Linux users. As I don't have TV-channels, just my computer hooked up to a TV (Larger screen obviously than computer monitors), if they want entertainment, and they want to control it, they'll have to use Gnome Shell. I've given them chances to try Unity, but they all prefer Gnome Shell over Unity. They just can't figure it out, even with my guidance. With Gnome Shell, all I have to do is say "Windows key or left upper corner" and that's it. The rest they manage to figure out.

I wished Unity would rock my socks off. I went in with glee and anticipation. Sadly, it has ALWAYS disappointed. I realise it's become a project of prestige, and isn't likely to change in the near future. Too bad, really, as Ubuntu was a great distro. Now it's so-so. If I had the patience to learn a new packaging system, I would've changed to Fedora, but it's so hard to learn a new system from the ground up, I stick with Debian-based, and for that, Ubuntu is the best of the bunch. But I hate Unity and all its lenses and scopes. It just doesn't seem to be a natural way of doing a desktop, as opposed to pure GNOME.

Lastly, I have tried most of the other DEs and WMs, and plenty of other distros too, but Ubuntu with pure GNOME has just worked every time.
    I like Gnome Shell too. I wish more people would try it. To be honest, in a lot of ways it's pretty similar to Unity, but I have to agree that for me it's just quicker in general to do things in Gnome Shell. I personally think it looks nicer too.

Beans

Loved Synaptic. Still do actually. Problem is: It don' work no more! I have installed it in every version of Ubuntu I have ever had, but since Canonical nixed it from the default install software, it don't work no more! I have read a few posts on how to make it work, and some say it works, but I have never been able to make it work again after it was "demoted" from default software installer.
    What are you talking about? synaptic is the first thing I install after setting up Ubuntu and it works for all releases (including the latest 13.04) I never use the Software Centre, too slow and not enough control.

There must be something wrong with your set up, probably something got messed up with an upgrade a while back. You should post a thread in the support forums and see if anyone can help.
    Last edited by monkeybrain2012; May 9th, 2013 at 07:12 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Loved Synaptic. Still do actually. Problem is: It don' work no more! I have installed it in every version of Ubuntu I have ever had, but since Canonical nixed it from the default install software, it don't work no more! I have read a few posts on how to make it work, and some say it works, but I have never been able to make it work again after it was "demoted" from default software installer.
    I really dislike the Software Centre, I always use synaptic, to install and update. I run development versions, and synaptic has never let me down. It may be something in your home grown gnome-shell setup.

I'd suggest you give Ubuntu Gnome a try, as it is now an official flavour,. Jeremy and Rico are doing a qreat job keeping it up-to-date, and if you use the Gnome3 team and ricotz ppas, you can even run the bleeding edge of Gnome-shell.
    Last edited by cariboo907; May 10th, 2013 at 03:37 AM.

Beans

It's always one of the first things I install, and has never failed me. Sounds like you may have had an upgrade gone bad or something. Ask for help and ye shall receive!

Beans

Have I read all 291 pages? No. I came to Ubuntu via a library book disc.Then to 12.04 via the website. I could not understand those icons at first.So I wiped it all out and went back to the disc. Then I tried again. Well would it be too much trouble to tell newcomers to use the main round icon first for a few clues ?But before that how about mentioning the redundant windows button? I accidentally found some instructions pages which was what I needed before I found it . It`s like here`s your house. The key is inside the locked door. Try getting in through the window. The point is , very little computer stuff has a proper introduction or explanation that English speakers can comprehend in ordinary ,normal words . So why is there a black Thing on top of the icons? Is it a penguin shape ? Why do the icons jump up and down on their own ?Why do they swing in and out for no reason ? Why do I update Firefox and then have it telling me I`m not up to date ? I also hate the cursor space on the right that wants to do the opposite every time .What icon face blows out with the lips flopping up and down ?
    Last edited by jonathan the 2nd; May 22nd, 2013 at 10:34 PM.

Beans

The HUD is useless. If I am going to look through menus, chances are I don't exactly know what I am looking for until I find it. The HUD can't help me there unless some heavy-duty fuzzy logic is added. I am MUCH more in favor of revamping UIs to employ a M$ ribbon-like interface, while keeping traditional menus and hotkeys.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by jsmeche View Post
    The HUD is useless. If I am going to look through menus, chances are I don't exactly know what I am looking for until I find it. The HUD can't help me there unless some heavy-duty fuzzy logic is added. I am MUCH more in favor of revamping UIs to employ a M$ ribbon-like interface, while keeping traditional menus and hotkeys.
    Not really.
    Once you know the function, the HUD makes executing it that much faster.
    On function heavy programs like gimp or blender or libreoffice, which can have hundreds functions, quickly get to the one you want is what the HUD is about.
    Unlike ribbon, the HUD is not a replacement for classic menus, but rather an additional way to navigate them.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by jonathan the 2nd View Post
    Have I read all 291 pages? No. I came to Ubuntu via a library book disc.Then to 12.04 via the website. I could not understand those icons at first.So I wiped it all out and went back to the disc. Then I tried again. Well would it be too much trouble to tell newcomers to use the main round icon first for a few clues ?But before that how about mentioning the redundant windows button? I accidentally found some instructions pages which was what I needed before I found it . It`s like here`s your house. The key is inside the locked door. Try getting in through the window. The point is , very little computer stuff has a proper introduction or explanation that English speakers can comprehend in ordinary ,normal words . So why is there a black Thing on top of the icons? Is it a penguin shape ? Why do the icons jump up and down on their own ?Why do they swing in and out for no reason ? Why do I update Firefox and then have it telling me I`m not up to date ? I also hate the cursor space on the right that wants to do the opposite every time .What icon face blows out with the lips flopping up and down ?
    I'm not really sure what to think besides that icons swinging out of the launcher would indicate you are using a Mac, Cairo Dock, or Macbuntu. I need something written in regular English for me to understand it (ironic, considering you complained about this), something which this post is not. Half the stuff you listed needs either clarification (using English) or a picture with arrows drawn to what you are talking about.
    Backups are amazing. 99% of data loss can be prevented by spending less than $100 on an external drive.
    If you have seen an error, there is a good chance someone else has, too. Google is your friend.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Try Xubuntu. It is easy.

Page 291 of 325 FirstFirst ... 191241281289290291292293301 ... LastLast