Page 289 of 366 FirstFirst ... 189239279287288289290291299339 ... LastLast
Results 2,881 to 2,890 of 3658

Thread: Things that you dislike in Ubuntu

Beans

Re: Things that you dislike in Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain2012 View Post
    Desktop animation and incompatible graphic cards probably has some bearing on ram usage. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to suspect that. Bumblebee is as good a community solution can be but it is still a hack so it wouldn't be surprising if it doesn't work as well as the OS which the machine is designed to support.
    lol. no idea how a computer works. i was right.

So bumblebee turns off the nvidia driver and the card and put the (open source-driven) intel graphic card in charge. There is no incompatible effect that "raises the ram" an effect either works or don't. If it doesnt means that there is no hardware accelerated driver OR that there is a version of OpenGL inferior than 1.4 or 2.0 or that the card does not support opengl 2.0. It works fine with cinnamon, mate, kde, BUT not Unity. so there is still a problem with unity nonetheless EVEN if you where right, that you are not.

If there are problems, they translate in artifact since the drivers does not send the correct data to the GPU to render.
    Last edited by sireangelus; May 7th, 2013 at 07:41 AM.

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sireangelus View Post
    . Or why would sabayon be perfectly fine?

Sabayon uses others DE. But kde is way more complex than ubuntu.
    Ubuntu with Unity also works perfectly fine on my machine (308mb comparing to your 870mb when idle) Why is it that you are having problems but I am not?

BTW, Ubuntu and KDE are two different categories. But as I said, Kubuntu is slower on my machine than Ubuntu (with Unity).
    Last edited by monkeybrain2012; May 7th, 2013 at 07:46 AM.

Beans

lol. no idea how a computer works. i was right.

So bumblebee turns off the nvidia driver and the card and put the (open source-driven) intel graphic card in charge. There is no incompatible effect that "raises the ram" an effect either works or don't. If it doesnt means that there is no hardware accelerated driver OR that there is a version of OpenGL inferior than 1.4 or 2.0 or that the card does not support opengl 2.0. It works fine with cinnamon, mate, kde, BUT not Unity. so there is still a problem with unity nonetheless EVEN if you where right, that you are not.

If there are problems, they translate in artifact since the drivers does not send the correct data to the GPU to render.
    Only if it works as intended. Do you know what is a bug? But if you check their forum it doesn't work consistently on all Optimus machines. Why the variations?

Beans

Only if it works as intended. Do you know what is a bug? But if you check their forum it doesn't work consistently on all Optimus machines. Why the variations?
    A bug is a thing, but it can't violate the laws of how programming works, how a chip works and how physics works by extension.
    So to do an experiment, i took the two live isos of 12.04.2 and 13.04 and launched them on two basic cloned VM to show you. this is what i've got after idling.

13.04 on the left, 12.04 on the right. And even if i am not using any kind of fallback or 2d mode, Unity on the 13.04 was painfully slow while searching for system-tune compared to 12.04.

And take notice of the cpu usage of the two vms.. while 13.04 used more than half resources on both cpus, 12.04 was properly idling more or less.
    as the vms are cloned, they use the same exact settings.

This is what i call... regression.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by sireangelus; May 7th, 2013 at 07:58 AM.

Beans

So here is my test result on the same machine, without scientifically controlling all the variables.

Ram usage when idle (shortly after boot up) Kubuntu 12.10 uses about 500 mb of ram. Ubuntu 13.04 300 mb, Debian Sid (gnome shell 3.4) uses about 200 mb. Both Ubuntu and Kubuntu use the Nvidia 313 driver while Debian uses nouveau.

While clearly Debian wins, which I expected, but Ubuntu is still performing well and better than Kubuntu. I am very satisfied with all of them. Performance wise Debian and Ubuntu are both very fast, Kubuntu is at time a bit sluggish, but still fast comparing to Windows 7 (which was on this machine when I bought it)
    Last edited by monkeybrain2012; May 7th, 2013 at 08:10 AM.

Beans

So here is my test result on the same machine, without scientifically controlling all the variables.

Ram usage when idle (shortly after boot up) Kubuntu 12.10 uses about 500 mb of ram. Ubuntu 13.04 300 mb, Debian Sid (gnome shell 3.4) uses about 200 mb. Both Ubuntu and Kubuntu use the Nvidia 313 driver while Debian uses nouveau.

While clearly Debian wins, which I expected, but Ubuntu is still performing well and better than Kubuntu. I am very satisfied with all of them. Performance wise Debian and Ubuntu are both very fast, Kubuntu is at time a bit sluggish, but still fast comparing to Windows 7 (which was on this machine when I bought it)
    can you do a dist-upgrade on kubuntu? also.. i have the feeling you are using something that i've avoided like death since the core2duo 65nm... i386.

just to prove my point, the oldest lts, 10.04.4
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by sireangelus; May 7th, 2013 at 08:25 AM.

Beans

13.04 on the left, 12.04 on the right. And even if i am not using any kind of fallback or 2d mode, Unity on the 13.04 was painfully slow while searching for system-tune compared to 12.04.

This is what i call... regression.
    Not for me. I checked 12.04 too, it uses 330mb of ram when idle, compare to 13.04 's 300 mb, it is about the same. (nouveau driver on 12.04, Nvidia 313 on 13.04) 13.04 on the other hand definitely boot up a lot faster.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

can you do a dist-upgrade on kubuntu? also.. i have the feeling you are using something that i've avoided like death since the core2duo 65nm... i386.

just to prove my point, the oldest lts, 10.04.4
    Just thought I'd let you know Virtualbox has decent support for the hardware it emulates (which is not Optimus, I should add).
    Just a little tip: if you want to look smart, use proper grammar and spelling. And don't go trying to start flame wars, either.
    Bumblebee is going to be slow because currently it is a hacked-together project, so it is not perfect. Only once NVidia provides good support for it will performance increase.
    Backups are amazing. 99% of data loss can be prevented by spending less than $100 on an external drive.
    If you have seen an error, there is a good chance someone else has, too. Google is your friend.

Beans

Sorry if my self-learned english offended you. i did not mean to start any flame war. i simply stated a truth.

And it seems that for people who love ubuntu and have used linux in a long time you have no idea how a computer works, and to me you look like a bunch of people making out excuses for what is put in front of your eyes; you've been feeding me with concepts that i always ear from vista advocates. Bumblebee might be slow i have no doubt of that.

But, it can't cause a memory overload since the driver module gets offloaded before the card goes in D3Cold status. And with bumblebee/optimus you do not use it to actually run the desktop. So we still have a distro that increases about lets say a third of its own ram usage each year? and even if virtualbox might not be the best platform it functioned as a common testing ground, with the same computer in each live image the ram has gone up.
    Last edited by sireangelus; May 7th, 2013 at 12:51 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

By the way...when i said mine is using about 750 mb of ram i mean with a bunch of things running (including STREAM RADIO which is flash)....

On idle and when i first boot up, it's about 400 mb or there abouts...Certainly in today's computers where 4 gb ram has become the minimal standard and many have 8 gb or more....a system that uses between 400 mb and 750 mb is quite tiny of an amount...i am not impressed because, say maybe kubuntu uses a bit less or xubuntu even a bit less then that...
    That might be important to someone using a very old computer with say, 1 gb of ram...but i am sure most of us are running much more modern equipment then that...

Page 289 of 366 FirstFirst ... 189239279287288289290291299339 ... LastLast