Page 288 of 366 FirstFirst ... 188238278286287288289290298338 ... LastLast
Results 2,871 to 2,880 of 3658

Thread: Things that you dislike in Ubuntu

Beans

Re: Things that you dislike in Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain2012 View Post
    Win always uses less ram because it more readily drops to swap. Linux would try to run up ram instead of dropping to swap because it is fast. It is by design. You can make it drop to swap more readily if you have not enough Ram by adjusting vm.swappiness.

I have Kubuntu and Ubuntu on the same machine (Kubuntu on an external drive), I haven't monitored the ram but performance wise I always find KDE comparatively slower than Unity (I also had Ubuntu on the external during testing so the external hard drive is not the issue)

I think some of that maybe hardware related or related to particular implementation. E.g (on the same machine) Gnome shell is brazing fast in Debian and Fedora but very slow in Ubuntu (Unity is fast)
    Quote Originally Posted by craig10x View Post
    On same laptop...a toshiba 17" with 4 gb ram and i3 intel processor and graphics...purchased 6 months ago...
    Original Windows 7 install: used approx 1.5-1.8 GB ram
    Ubuntu 13.04 w/unity install (which replaced it) uses approx 775-850 MB ram

So, which uses more ram...windows or ubuntu w/unity...i think the answer would be obvious...
    i'm shocked that you are comfortable with that when you can go to a more complex software like kde4 with just 250-280 tops idling. i'm sorry but i still think that's bloated. And windows does not have the cleaness of linux when it means to mantain the performance through time and do clean uninstalls. but if you take w8 clean, install just the drivers and disable all the startup bloatware connected to them( that are not present in unity) you will see windows 8 going down to 550 ALL the time. even after 4-5 months.

Beans

And you are also benchmarking with an Optimus machine which does not even meant to support Linux. You are using incompatible hardware so what are you complaining about?
    lol.Do you guys even know what are you talking about, or how a computer works? What the hell does it have to do an optimus machine? like bumblebee takes 400mb of ram? sorry, i started Sabayon kde, and mate, never made it out of 300mb of use at startup(bumblebee out of the box.)-i'm using ubuntu just to see out it goes but i'm having lots of regrets onestly.The only thing best than sabayon is having the tlp package and having been able to suit it to my needs so i can draw a whole lot more of battery out of my laptop.
    Last edited by sireangelus; May 7th, 2013 at 07:14 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

@sireangelus: well, considering i have 4 gb of Ram i don't consider 3/4 of a gb being used to be a major resource hog...maybe in your mind it is...but not to me (or most i am sure)...
    4 gb on today's modern computer is considered a rather meager amount of ram and i am not even using 1/4 of it...so, yeah...that's LIGHT...
    My laptop is hardly top of the line...I got in on sale from Toshiba for like $540.00...(remember...we are talking about a 17 inch laptop)...

Maybe for someone running a 10 year old computer, it's a lot...or a real "bottom feeder" newer one...
    Last edited by craig10x; May 7th, 2013 at 05:13 PM.

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Look I just booted into 13.04 (I was on 12.04) to check. When everything is idle Ubuntu with Unity uses 308Mb. This is a 4 year old machine with 3G of ram. I don't know how Windows 7 bench mark on the same machine because I got rid of it long time ago. The installation was certainly a lot bigger.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

i simply don't like the idea of using 3-4 times resources for doing things that can be done with less. it's a waste of power on mobile/laptops.And when i run multiple VMs for experiments each mb is a given since i need the host FAST. when i say fast, i mean doing a 2 threaded vm with ubuntu 12.04 trying out apt-build, another single-thread using a minimal server installation for a university project(512mb of ram) WHILE i play with vlc Smallville(non hd) and having on my main screen Heroes of newhert running.

Beans

edit

Beans

Look I just booted into 13.04 (I was on 12.04) to check. When everything is idle Ubuntu with Unity uses 308Mb. This is a 4 year old machine with 3G of ram. I don't know how Windows 7 bench mark on the same machine because I got rid of it long time ago. The installation was certainly a lot bigger.
    set up ubuntu one. And i hope/think that's a default installation not an optimized one. Have rithmnbox index a very large music folder. Also have empathy running and set with gtalk, facebook and a very large windows live.And while you're there, load skype in the background too. Then you will have a metro-like scenario of how many things are in the backround (all IM are loaded on startup and have minimal impact, but you still recieve the messages like you are online)

Beans

Maybe your setup is not optimized and your optimus hardware. Have you considered why it seems that only you have this problem? I have heard many things said about Linux but that it is bloated (any distro or DE) comparing to Windows is a new one,

Beans

Maybe your setup is not optimized and your optimus hardware. Have you considered why it seems that only you have this problem? I have heard many things said about Linux but that it is bloated (any distro or DE) comparing to Windows is a new one,
    This is what i get and i think the only thing running in the background is empathy.

and again. OPTIMUS should not have anything to do with this. Or why would sabayon be perfectly fine?

Sabayon uses others DE. But kde is way more complex than ubuntu.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by sireangelus; May 7th, 2013 at 07:35 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sireangelus View Post
    lol.Do you guys even know what are you talking about, or how a computer works? What the hell does it have to do an optimus machine? like bumblebee takes 400mb of ram? sorry, i started Sabayon kde, and mate, never made it out of 300mb of use at startup(bumblebee out of the box.)-i'm using ubuntu just to see out it goes but i'm having lots of regrets onestly.The only thing best than sabayon is having the tlp package and having been able to suit it to my needs so i can draw a whole lot more of battery out of my laptop.
    Desktop animation and incompatible graphic cards probably has some bearing on ram usage. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to suspect that. Bumblebee is as good a community solution can be but it is still a hack so it wouldn't be surprising if it doesn't work as well as the OS which the machine is designed to support.

Page 288 of 366 FirstFirst ... 188238278286287288289290298338 ... LastLast