Results 2,731 to 2,740 of 3475

Thread: Things that you dislike in Ubuntu

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Things that you dislike in Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by asuastrophysics View Post
    What do I not like about Ubuntu?
    <snip>
    You come back to Ubuntu after an "upgrade" and tell me how often it actually works.
    I was referring to an "update", but I take your point. And in my case some of the files in the updated were flagged as "security" updates.
    The GuiGuy
    Free is only good when it works.

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by asuastrophysics View Post
    What do I not like about Ubuntu?

The fact that doing a dist-upgrade is somehow more complicated than brain surgery. If you want to upgrade your dist, battle stations! Backup everything!! Anticipate that the upgrade will probably break your computer! Abandon allllll hope!!!

I mean good grief. I just upgraded my macbook from Snow Leopard directly to Mountain Lion. Wanna guess how painful it was? I clicked "Install" and came back to it 2 hours later to find a brand new, beautiful desktop. You come back to Ubuntu after an "upgrade" and tell me how often it actually works.
    Just back up your data and do a clean install, much faster and much less problem prone.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain2012 View Post
    Just back up your data and do a clean install, much faster and much less problem prone.
    ?? OK, user backs up data. Update/ upgrade fails.

Now what? Clean install and fart **** about reinstalling everything before restoring data?

Instead of relying on rsync or cp -a and all their obfuscation, isn't it about time that a supposedly leading edge distro like Ubuntu has

a) a restore point rollback (spit, curse, just like Windows)
    b) a reliable FULL imaging backup system, just like (spit, curse) Windows.

My 2c worth.
    The GuiGuy

Beans
    Hidden!

... while I am having a whine, please point me a usable backup program for Linux. And please don't say rsync, cp -a, grsync or simple backup. The first three are slow when the user has a lot of data, especially when it's in small files. In my experience the last has proven extremely unreliable on restore when compression is used. And the gods forbid you ever need to restore a single file from the back up. My life at least is too short.

I suspect we linux users have to be just a little bit crazy...

Cheers
    The GuiGuy

Beans

also ... if you're into using linux as your main OS, and have had upgrade issues in the past (moving from one release to another) then you have the option of side-by-side installing the new release until you can get it all tweaked and working the way you like it before removing your previous release install. For example, I have recently switched from Unity 12.10 to Kubuntu 12.10 .... and even though I haven't used it in days, I still have the Unity install ready to go in case I run into a bug I can't work around in the new environment. Plan to do the same with the update from Kubuntu 12.10 to 13.04.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by GuiGuy View Post
    ... while I am having a whine, please point me a usable backup program for Linux. And please don't say rsync, cp -a, grsync or simple backup. The first three are slow when the user has a lot of data, especially when it's in small files. In my experience the last has proven extremely unreliable on restore when compression is used. And the gods forbid you ever need to restore a single file from the back up. My life at least is too short.

I suspect we linux users have to be just a little bit crazy...

Cheers
    For what it's worth, I just wrote a shell script so I can hook up my external drive every few weeks, run peyrebackup.sh from the terminal, and it:
    1. Deletes everything in the LeonOld folder on the drive
    2. Moves everything from the drive's Leon folder to LeonOld
    3. Copies the folders I need backed up to the Leon folder

It's probably crude, and may be slower than it needs to be, but it works reliably and saves a backup of my backup data in case there's a problem with a backup, or in case I deleted a file a few weeks back. I have an equivalent batch file on my wife's XP box to back up her data the same way.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 13.10 Saucy Salamander

I dislike that it can be difficult to add custom stuff to unity's launcher. I also despise shopping lenses and not having the option to leave those out on install. I think that it is excellent to have a default install that is easy to do but it would be nice to opt out of some of the features. I shouldn't have to do a minimal install or anything complicated just to opt out of the shopping lens and get rid of paid apps in the software centre.
    I agree that the lock ups are annoying but I don't think this is necessarily a fault of the distro.
    I dislike the software centre but fortunately I don't have to use it! I do think it is a nice feature for those ios/mac/windows/android users that don't want to use terminal to manage programs but want a point an click way of installing/uninstalling programs.
    I've also disliked ubuntu 12.10. It is too unstable on my laptop and ran slow/weird where 12.04 runs very smooth. I hope that 13.04 works better because there were some features new it 12.10 that I really liked!

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by nwalkey View Post
    I've also disliked ubuntu 12.10. It is too unstable on my laptop and ran slow/weird where 12.04 runs very smooth. I hope that 13.04 works better because there were some features new it 12.10 that I really liked!
    I only use the LTS versions now. In the main it's done my blood pressure a world of good
    The GuiGuy

Beans

When kilobytes are used, I mean real, power-of-2 kilobytes, (i.e., 1024 bytes), some politically correct folks insist they should be called with the stupid-sounding "kibibytes" name. The same holds true for megabytes, also sometimes known as "mebibytes'", and gigabytes, as the amazingly silly "gibibytes".

Makes you want to gibber, doesn't it?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by HotForLinux View Post
    When kilobytes are used, I mean real, power-of-2 kilobytes, (i.e., 1024 bytes), some politically correct folks insist they should be called with the stupid-sounding "kibibytes" name. The same holds true for megabytes, also sometimes known as "mebibytes'", and gigabytes, as the amazingly silly "gibibytes".

Makes you want to gibber, doesn't it?
    Yeah, those are just goofy. I'd heard of mebibytes before, but not those other two. So there are those who actually take these names seriously?

Page 274 of 348 FirstFirst ... 174224264272273274275276284324 ... LastLast