Page 222 of 348 FirstFirst ... 122172212220221222223224232272322 ... LastLast
Results 2,211 to 2,220 of 3475

Thread: Things that you dislike in Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Things that you hate in Ubuntu

For me it was easy. I went to Mint 11. They can take the Unity and the other stuff and put it where the sun doesn't shine because it certainly doesn't shine on Ubuntu now. Right now, I would say that Windoz 7 is a better OS, that's how incensed I am. If the desire was to make Ubuntu as easy to use as the MacOS, let me tell you that Ubuntu now can't even lick the boots (no pun intended) of Mac.

Have a nice day.
    4,1 MacMini, 2.4GHz, 8Gram, 300G HD, OSX 10.7; Ubuntu 11.10; i7 6G ram 80,80,300 and 320G HD, Windoz 7, Mint 11, Debian 6.0.3,OpenSuse 11.4 and Fedora 15.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Things that I hate/dislike in Ubuntu

Why anybody wants to move from the good old windows series?

1. stability - under win7 You can change the background color of blue death, but most of the users just don't want crashes
    2. Speed, responsiveness Some of us just want to use older/cheaper/greener hardware without compromising speed.
    3. viruses Since windows is the most frequently used desktop OS, virus makers generally don't care about Linux distro's.
    4. Price, TCO, legality You can get win7 pro + ms office pro + antivirus stuff for free, but this is not recommended. Linux is legally free.

Newbies coming from windows also want to run their beloved applications (including games), so
    5. wine and virtualbox is also necessary.
    6. eye candy as an option- not everybody needs them

Now 10.04 LTS comes with a beta version of grub bootloader, they have forget to implement wine and virtualblox propely. Also ,every new version runs slower then the previous. The new distro's are released in beta state. So the project is going in the wrong direction. A fast, clean and reliable system would attract more users.

I hate the release cycle. The Ubuntu team is going to sacrifice stability and speed for eye candies and version numbers. I have to spend a weekend to fix most of the problems coming with each update.

I hate release policy. My proposal is to offer new packages as an option, and don't replace applications without a question - except if the old application isn't avalaible in the new repositories and flagged as auto installed.
    Actually It was a mistake to force the installation of Unity with 11.04 & 11.10. It should be offered as an option- if it becomes the nr.1 preferred desktop environment according to usage stats, then it can be the default for new installations.

BTW, I strongly dislike Unity. That's why I'm running 10.10, and downloading live CDs. Linux Mint Debian edition and Debian itself looks promising. I will give a last chance to 11.10 also.
    Actually I have a 32" monitor and 1000+ apps, & dislike the idea to use a touch screen while eating my hotdog. Cleaning the mouse is easier.
    Unity is ok for a small touch screen, and a few apps, but not for me.

Beans
    Hidden!

Just installed 11.10 on relatively new hardware.

I must say I am impressed with the new auto log out function.

It seems that at any time, especially when typing a longish piece of text, this well designed feature unceremoniously will close all applications and drop back to the log out screen

Impressive? Yes! Do I like it? No, I fecking hate it!

Just as well it was a new PC I was setting up and testing. 11.04 has gone on it now.

Cheer
    The GuiGuy
    Free is only good when it works.

Beans

Thumbs down Re: Things that you hate in Ubuntu

1 - hardware problems like my sound device in Ubuntu 11.10 using my toshiba p505 s8980 ( mic doesn't work with Skype or audacity )
    2 - fonts on web looks strange in chrome,firefox

Beans
    Distro

Unity
    the way it handles workspaces is a step backwards
    It's Nice How Free From the Restraints of Reality you are...

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Garthhh View Post
    Unity
    the way it handles workspaces is a step backwards
    The way it handles the whole computer is a bit too designer "touched". It remembers me of the early Windows Vista which I had a chance to see. If you do not know, MS played with the idea of SFFS, a file system, that combined all and any disk to a single name space, making it more complex, almost like EXT... they abandoned the idea soon.

I hope, that if Unity survives, there will be a proper fallback option in the next LTS, not this gnome3 2D "fallback" thing, that is basically Unity 2D with a "gnome look"

But then again, Canonical's way is: "Love it or leave it".
    Don't ask what your company can do for you.
    Ask what you can do for
    your company!

Beans

i hate ubuntu strategy!

hundreds of bugs fixes and features and add-ons for end user doesn't included in ubuntu, and we have to set hours to solve their problems, at the end,ubuntu = no professional distro with my respect! a new strategy will be good for ubuntu..
    thx.

Beans

I hate Unity. There are so many things about it that suck. With Unity, the ease of Ubuntu has gone. It's horrible. With Maverick, I could handle it, cos you could turn it off. Now you can't with 11.10. Why are we being forced to use this ridiculous interface???

I've already moved back to 11.04. What a waste of my time.

Ubuntu devs, you got it wrong. Just my 2 cents.....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Only real issue I have with Ubuntu at the moment is Unity - its restrictive and slows down work flow. Thankfully there's the option to install Gnome Shell

Beans

Unfortunately, the Xubuntu install disk has crappy support. Almost all the help pages point to the internet and ... some of us don't have constant internet connections, and I imagine most of us don't have any internet connection when we're using an install disk.

Page 222 of 348 FirstFirst ... 122172212220221222223224232272322 ... LastLast