Thread: Things that you dislike in Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Things that you hate in Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Moyse View Post
    The fact that people don't use it.
    I second that!

I wish I could say I've switched my family over to Ubuntu, but I can't. I've switched over myself, on both my main computer and my laptop. But my wife uses some specific Windows apps (like Photoshop Elements) and I'd be asking for trouble trying to get her to switch. Similarly, my kids have a Windows box because half to two-thirds of their educational games don't run acceptably in Wine. Still, I look to the future. They won't be running those games forever, and I'm getting my eldest interested in Ubuntu.
    Last edited by peyre; July 11th, 2011 at 03:44 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by peyre View Post
    I second that!

I wish I could say I've switched my family over to Ubuntu, but I can't. I've switched over myself, on both my main computer and my laptop. But my wife uses some specific Windows apps (like Photoshop Elements)
    My wife has never known anything but linux & kde, so that was working.

Until a neighbour showed her how simple and intuitive it is to find files using Win7.

And I have to agree, the WIn7's explorer search function puts anything we have on linux to shame. (NB first fanboi to tell me about the wonders of "find" will get a clip around the ears).

Anyway, she wants Win7 so another user lost <sigh>

Cheers
    The GuiGuy
    Free is only good when it works.

Beans

I personally use catfish with Thunar ....

But if she needs to use Win7 because she doesn't know where her files are .... maybe she is just about at the right place.

*Disclaimer: This statement is not meant to be offensive.
    Regards

longtom

Beans

I hate that it doesn't support Synaptics Clickpads out of the box. It is a major drawback and makes laptops unusable when not connected to a usb mouse. Most recent HP laptops come with Clickpads. Also, they should have an easy key-mapper for function keys for sleep, screen brightness and lock.

Beans

Alsa default output fail, falling back to.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by doctorspooky View Post
    Alsa default output fail, falling back to.
    Since I updated from 10.10, the sound worked fine before I started any file updates on Ubuntu Studio. It's been notifying me that it is broken, so it loads the dummy output. I don't think it stops at Ubuntu, though-I've experienced it with Debian 6.0.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by longtom View Post
    But if she needs to use Win7 because she doesn't know where her files are .... maybe she is just about at the right place.
    I was thinking the same thing. If you need to switch OS's to find your files...... Does she have 40 million files and 20,000 folders?

I don't hate anything in ubuntu. I'm not a hater.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by doctorspooky View Post
    Since I updated from 10.10, the sound worked fine before I started any file updates on Ubuntu Studio. It's been notifying me that it is broken, so it loads the dummy output. I don't think it stops at Ubuntu, though-I've experienced it with Debian 6.0.
    Well, I think I found what my problem is: The audio related Block Device files are missing.

Beans

I hate it when my mouse gets stuck and then I have to press esc to reactivate it. And it happens all the time.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by GuiGuy View Post
    My wife has never known anything but linux & kde, so that was working.

Until a neighbour showed her how simple and intuitive it is to find files using Win7.

And I have to agree, the WIn7's explorer search function puts anything we have on linux to shame. (NB first fanboi to tell me about the wonders of "find" will get a clip around the ears).

Anyway, she wants Win7 so another user lost <sigh>

Cheers
    Have you tried unity? it can find a file or folder the same way win7 does from the start menu. Its takes a little while to get used to but it works great in my opinion.
    Last edited by rickytikki; July 21st, 2011 at 10:40 PM. Reason: mispelled word
    'Dont Steal the Government Hates Competition' !!Ron Paul 2012!!

Page 187 of 344 FirstFirst ... 87137177185186187188189197237287 ... LastLast