Page 13 of 337 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast

Thread: Things that you dislike in Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Things that you hate in Ubuntu

if Ubuntu promotes itself as "Linux for the masses/human beings" then it should accept criticism. people are different and they have high (maybe unjustified?!) expectations from a distro like Ubuntu
    So, you just beat a strawman of what I posted and you were succesful.
    Xye incredibly difficult puzzle game with minimal graphics. Also at playdeb
    Got a blog: Will Stay Free

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Things that u hate in Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ghindo View Post
    Please do this! I would definitely appreciate a guide like this, as I'm sure others would
    Alright. I did it go here to check it out. Feel free to comment.
    Programming is an art. Learn it. Live it. Love it.

Beans

Though I have been affected by a fair few bugs, this is to be expected. Bugs happen. This only becomes a nuisance if they don't get fixed.

I seems to me that having a six-monthly release cycle is giving the developers quite a lot of work, and possibly, dare I say, overwhelming them?

I am not sure how the people who make the decisions think that a six-monthly release is suitable for the target consumers who at the end of the day require stability and predictability over anything else.

Recently, when I've been selecting a version of Ubuntu to install, it's been a choice of staying in my comfort zone with the well-established bugs or the excitement of experiencing new ones.

I'm currently looking at other distros too. Whether I'll find a better one, who knows? But will have a good look.
    - A pessimist is in fact an optimist with more experience...

Beans

Well, I'm a long time fan of ubuntu going back to breezy badger. The only thing I've hated about ubuntu has been the release of hardy heron.

I've installed hardy 4 times on exactly the same machine and had different problems each time. It's like playing the lotto- will the next install be a big winner and have fewer problems or more, some will be the same and some will be different.

Not only that, but get this- After battling with it some and winning some things and getting them working and loosing some things and just living with it for the next 5 or 6 months until the next release comes out, I set up my 2 sons user accounts. So now I've got 3 user accounts on this machine. Believe it or not- we've got different problems in each user account, and different levels of compatibility with some features like the drive mounter and compiz- One of my sons accounts compiz works with everything, on the other two accounts we have to turn it off for anything that goes full screen. Another has smooth dvd playback and the other two accounts do not- it stalls for 1/4 second every few seconds and eventually crashes. One of my sons the middle click in firefox doesn't work to open new tabs, it works fine in the other two, and there is a list of several other things that work differently in each of our account, even though we all have the exact same permissions(!) and this is exactly one machine (!)

Hardy is a crap shoot.

Looks beautiful, is very fast, but from reading I think they used a bad choices that were unstable for firefox, the kernal, and x, and the latter prevented nvidia drivers from working properly some of the time which of course leads to compiz problems and probably problems elsewhere for anything using the driver, such as anything running on x itself. Not to mention the buggy kernal version and the beta testing version firefox, which is constantly used on most users machines and has forced us all to become beta testers.

Hardy is full of gremlins on this machine which has worked smoothly and problem free since breezy...

No big deal as long as the next release uses a more stable base structure and hopefully we'll be back to ubuntu love as usual. If not, oh well, I guess I'll get back to the distro hopping days I did for years before breezy.

Beans

Re: Things that u hate in Ubuntu

Its lack of support for games.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by karellen View Post
    saying I hate something would be too harsh, but what I profoundly dislike is this:
    from http://www.ubuntu.com/products/whatisubuntu
    and this

and more , both from http://www.ubuntu.com/news/ubuntu-8.04-lts-desktop
    if it's stable just on some machines (even if it counts for 80% of them), then it's not stable enough for business. if a graphic card is not recognized out of the box, then it's not immediately ready to use...
    don't get me wrong, I have no problems with getting my hands dirty (after all configuring Fedora after installation is more time consuming than Ubuntu) but I don't like this deceiving marketing. I don't expect that all things to work out of the box and every piece of hardware to be fully supported, but stop pretending otherwise. at least write some warning/caution note "some extra tweaking may be required after installation" or "check to see if you hardware gets on well with Ubuntu"...
    just my inner thoughts
    Something stated in the advertisement of a product does not apply to every conceivable situation in reality. News at eleven.

In related news, the milk cart I'm holding right now states that milk is full of benefits for your health and does not state anywhere that people with intolerance to lactosis might die if they drink it. Police is considering the arrest of evil milk vendors for deceiving marketing.

We'll be right back after the commercials.

Beans

I hate when things change when you upgrade

Where did GAIM go? Why did Gedit get an overhaul its a damn text editor...and it was perfect for YEARS!!? Now it sucks

i am not digging ubuntu 8 and I have been here since 4 or 5

its cool though, still best OS out there

Beans

Gaim is now Pidgin. Same program, just a different name.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

one dislike
    not hate
    some of the default colors...blech!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I hate:

pulseaudio

It drives me crazy - doesn't keep any volume settings (drumroll at full blast when logging in - try that on a train...), doesn't survive a hibernate - and all this on a laptop that was working perfectly with a 7.10 install.

Why did I even bother with a fresh install of 8.04?

Franko30

Page 13 of 337 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast