Page 103 of 332 FirstFirst ... 35393101102103104105113153203 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,030 of 3313

Thread: Things that you dislike in Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Things that you hate in Ubuntu

Here's another of the Firefox-in-Ubuntu problems: Opening a downloaded file, or the folder it's in, from Firefox's "Downloads" window Just Doesn't Work.

I don't know whose fault this is, but it is supremely irritating.

Beans

I have been using Linux (and, by extension, Ubuntu) for the last 7 or 8 years. I find the idea of openness so appealing and so compelling that it has in fact become the only reason why I still stick with Ubuntu.

1. It is not for the money saved, since I actually donate to every organization whose work I benefit from; and if I were to compute the endless hours I have spent reading stuff about things which don't work at all or don't work the first, second or third time around, then my business case would look even more incurably bleak.

2. It is not for the desktop experience either. If there is any accusation I level at Ubuntu (or any other Linux distro for that matter), is its failure to provide a fundamentally different and innovative desktop experience; basically it is the same as Windows or Apple, with its own set of shortcomings, just as they have theirs. It is my belief that as long as Ubuntu just "clones" those rivals, it will not make many inroads; after all, if Ubuntu is incapable of firing desktop users' imagination, their migration shall not be forthcoming any time soon.

3. Canonical is not financing or producing philosophy (what the desktop of the future should embrace) or design (how to go about implementing that philosophy in a Linux environment); instead, it is throwing money at a strategically losing enterprise, by keeping alive a run-of-the-mill desktop experience which, by surfeit of choices, tries to be all things to all people but is not (application and hardware-wise) a reliable and comprehensive platform for anyone, save the few technically savvy (a bitter sweet irony that it has managed to achieve such a feat while basing itself on the most reliable of operating systems available!).

It is not Microsoft's fault that they are now selling for the nth time essentially the same crap they have been selling for the last twenty years; they are only taking advantage of others' shortcomings. Let us not be too surprised if they come to the conclusion that they have milked that cow long enough and decide to bet on some other platform to revolutionize the way we experience personal computing. Which platform: why not Linux?
    Samsung Ultrabook NP900X3A; Ubuntu 12.04 64-bit LTS as host system; VirtualBox; Windows 7 as guest.
    Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0.

Beans

Re: Things that u hate in Ubuntu

******* hate ubuntu everyday theres another ******* problem

Beans

I dislike the fact that Ubuntu is a static distribution, so things are usually out of date by 6 months to two years. I also dislike the fact that binaries on it are bloated because every obscure option in the software's configure script has been set to on because someone might use it. Lastly, I do not like how it attempts to hide the configuration files from people by having its upgrade scripts modify them, because if you modify them and then do an upgrade to the next version of the distribution, things will likely break.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

I hate that every new version introduces new problems. I wish they would damn well NOT put new features in but ONLY iron out the bugs. It's highly annoying!
    Apart from the ETERNAL screen resolution problems on install I STILL get problems with flashplayer in Firefox. It starts fine but after a few vids there is just a white box where the flas should be. Closing all FF and restarting FF cures this temporarily.

Now update manager won't update when I click update, it messes around for a while and then comes back with the same ticked boxes.

I do-no-want "new" features, I want the bugs sorted!
    Half the apps never work 100% either. Linux sure is the buggiest of all the OSs.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MarkX View Post

I do-no-want "new" features, I want the bugs sorted!
    Half the apps never work 100% either. Linux sure is the buggiest of all the OSs.
    Try a different distribution. PCLinuxOS will be coming out with a new version shortly - worth a look.
    Regards

longtom

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by longtom View Post
    Try a different distribution. PCLinuxOS will be coming out with a new version shortly - worth a look.
    I suggest he try Gentoo Linux. He will need to give up a commandline free life and manage configuration files himself instead of letting automated scripts attempt to do this for him, but this is easier to do than people think and in exchange, his system would not suffer from he issues he is encountering now.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

The whole setback for Linux making it bigtime has been the damn command line. I'm not going to regress to learning quasi-MSdos to debug a bug-riddled OS. WHat's holding it back now is that many crucial things don't work as they should, so instead of adding new stuff, make sure what's already there works properly, which it simply doesn't.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by MarkX View Post
    The whole setback for Linux making it bigtime has been the damn command line. I'm not going to regress to learning quasi-MSdos to debug a bug-riddled OS. WHat's holding it back now is that many crucial things don't work as they should, so instead of adding new stuff, make sure what's already there works properly, which it simply doesn't.
    i think linux is a loooooong way away from being command line free for everyone.
    for a lot of people, whose hardware all works without tinkering, could comfortably live with out ever going near the command line if they're only doing things like web browsing, music, email, just basic computer stuff that most users these days use their computers for. but one dodgy piece of hardware leads you straight to the command line for info like you said.
    my laptop works, everything bar the wireless (which only took a download of backports) worked without any tinkering, including flash. but my desktop graphics card (ati) takes a bit of messing around, which is even more frustrating considering every new kernel upgrade means i have to install it again.

if you want a command line free life, linux won't be the way to go for a while yet for most users.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Arcanine View Post
    Lastly, I do not like how it attempts to hide the configuration files from people by having its upgrade scripts modify them, because if you modify them and then do an upgrade to the next version of the distribution, things will likely break.
    This.
    I've just revisited(see joined date) Ubuntu because it is in a prime position to do what I want (LTSP). Every text file I open has "DO NOT EDIT" in it, where in most other (standard) distros that is how you manage the system to begin with.
    Also, hello there Shining Arcanine. It feels good to leave OTW every now and then.

Page 103 of 332 FirstFirst ... 35393101102103104105113153203 ... LastLast