Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: How to: Install Network Manager 0.7 SVN on Hardy

Beans

How to: Install Network Manager 0.7 SVN on Hardy

Alexander Sack is creating packages for Hardy of Network Manager 0.7 SVN Snapshots. To install them add the following lines to your /etc/apt/sources.list:
    Code:
    deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/network-manager/ubuntu hardy main
    deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/network-manager/ubuntu hardy main
    Update the your local repositories with:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    Then update the system:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    This will pull in an updated wpa_supplicant package along with the updated Network-Manager package.

Notes:
    1) Make sure you can configure your network by hand if this breaks your networking so you can recover it. If you can't afford to be without network connectivity do not try this!
    2) The VPN plugins can be downloaded from SVN. VPNC and OpenVPN work but PPTP does not. Instructions for building these plugins are later on in this thread.
    3) Some important new features are: GSM/CDMA aircard support, static IP address support, multiple interface support, profiles, etc...
    4) If you get an error that the applet cannot start since some resources are not available enter the following command from a terminal:
    Code:
    sudo update-icon-caches

If you would like to see a preview of NetworkManager 0.7 see:
    http://www.darrenalbers.net/blog/?p=9

VPN Plugins: See Page 2 for VPNC and OpenVPN Plugin installation instructions, note that the PPTP plugin does not work in SVN yet.

Post any issues here and I will help with what I can.

Updated on July 3rd to use Alexander Sack's PPA, instructions for upgrading from my packages to Alexander's packages are available at:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...8&postcount=82
    Last edited by Darrena; July 4th, 2008 at 01:09 AM. Reason: Switched to Alexander Sack's repo's

Beans

Re: How to: Install Network Manager 0.7 SVN on Hardy

Thanks a lot for this! It's really appreciated. I've been running NM-svn for a while now, but without proper packaging. I've been simply 'make install'ing it, and that's sort of been bugging me for a while.

I will try to use Biebl's packages to build 64-bit packages as well. Perhaps you'd be interested to host them as well, if I find the time to build them?

Thanks again!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nightfrost View Post
    Thanks a lot for this! It's really appreciated. I've been running NM-svn for a while now, but without proper packaging. I've been simply 'make install'ing it, and that's sort of been bugging me for a while.

I will try to use Biebl's packages to build 64-bit packages as well. Perhaps you'd be interested to host them as well, if I find the time to build them?

Thanks again!
    Sure, if you need me to host them I can.

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Good howto but it doesn't work yet, dbus problem yet I think, it can acquire dhcp information.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by atlas95 View Post
    Good howto but it doesn't work yet, dbus problem yet I think, it can acquire dhcp information.
    If you want to make sure it's not a permission problem, edit /etc/dbus-1/system.d/nm-* and NetworkManager.conf in the same dir and replace every instance of deny with allow. Needless to say, this is a security risk.

@Darrena: I'll try to attach a tar.bz2 of the amd64 debs here, do as you please with them.

Also, with regards to your howto, are you sure the -dev packages are needed? I know they're needed while building, but if one is not planning to build anything I wouldn't think they are necessary.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans

Did you modify nm-dhcp-client.conf as shown in the How to?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nightfrost View Post
    If you want to make sure it's not a permission problem, edit /etc/dbus-1/system.d/nm-* and NetworkManager.conf in the same dir and replace every instance of deny with allow. Needless to say, this is a security risk.

@Darrena: I'll try to attach a tar.bz2 of the amd64 debs here, do as you please with them.

Also, with regards to your howto, are you sure the -dev packages are needed? I know they're needed while building, but if one is not planning to build anything I wouldn't think they are necessary.
    You are correct, I left them in by accident. I originally wanted to include how to build the VPN plugins.

Beans
    Distro

Yes I have correct it like in the howto, I will retry later.

Beans
    Distro

Is this working correctly for you??

Beans

Is this working correctly for you??
    It is for me and a number of others. What exactly is not working for you?

Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast