Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16242526

Thread: How to: Install Network Manager 0.7 SVN on Hardy

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: How to: Install Network Manager 0.7 SVN on Hardy

Reinstalled the network manager on the computer that had network probs, and got the internet (and LAN) connection again.

Do I still use the instructions from the first post in this thread, or do I follow this post ..

Quote Originally Posted by Darrena View Post
    Alexander Sack the official Network Manager Maintainer for Ubuntu is now publishing packages here:

https://launchpad.net/~network-manager/+archive

Add the following to your /etc/apt/sources.list and REMOVE the lines for my PPA:
    deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/network-manager/ubuntu hardy main
    deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/network-manager/ubuntu hardy main

Do an apt-get update and then use the following command to switch to this version:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install network-manager=0.7~~svn20080628t003601+eni2-0ubuntu0~pre1 libnm-glib0=0.7~~svn20080628t003601+eni2-0ubuntu0~pre1 libnm-util0=0.7~~svn20080628t003601+eni2-0ubuntu0~pre1 network-manager-gnome=0.7~~svn20080626t183232-0ubuntu0~pre1
    Once that is done you can do updates as normal to use this version
    Also, what files should I backup, just in case I need to go back to the previous version of Network Manager ? I have these files at least:

/etc/ppp/peers/ppp0
    /etc/network/interfaces
    /etc/mtab
    /etc/chatscripts/ppp0

are the above files the only ones that affect the configuration for Network manager ?

Oygle
    Last edited by oygle; December 11th, 2008 at 10:54 AM. Reason: extra info

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I followed those instructions from post#1 in this thread, and when I got up to the 'sudo apt-get upgrade' part, it 'kept back' 5 packages ..

:~/Desktop$ sudo apt-get upgrade
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    The following packages have been kept back:
    libnm-glib0 libnm-util0 network-manager network-manager-gnome wpasupplicant
    The following packages will be upgraded:
    ifupdown libdbus-glib-1-2
    2 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 5 not upgraded.
    Need to get 125kB of archives.
    After this operation, 12.3kB of additional disk space will be used.
    Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
    WARNING: The following packages cannot be authenticated!
    ifupdown libdbus-glib-1-2
    Install these packages without verification [y/N]? y
    Get:1 http://ppa.launchpad.net hardy/main ifupdown 0.6.8ubuntu12~nm1~hardy1 [56.6kB]
    Get:2 http://ppa.launchpad.net hardy/main libdbus-glib-1-2 0.76-1ubuntu1~nm1~hardy1 [68.0kB]
    Fetched 125kB in 52s (2367B/s)
    Preconfiguring packages ...
    (Reading database ... 139246 files and directories currently installed.)
    Preparing to replace ifupdown 0.6.8ubuntu8 (using .../ifupdown_0.6.8ubuntu12~nm1~hardy1_i386.deb) ...
    Unpacking replacement ifupdown ...
    Preparing to replace libdbus-glib-1-2 0.74-2 (using .../libdbus-glib-1-2_0.76-1ubuntu1~nm1~hardy1_i386.deb) ...
    Unpacking replacement libdbus-glib-1-2 ...
    Setting up ifupdown (0.6.8ubuntu12~nm1~hardy1) ...
    Installing new version of config file /etc/udev/rules.d/85-ifupdown.rules ...

Setting up libdbus-glib-1-2 (0.76-1ubuntu1~nm1~hardy1) ...

Processing triggers for libc6 ...
    ldconfig deferred processing now taking place
    :~/Desktop$
    Hmm, now the update manager has 6 updates, 5 of them are the ones just mentioned, and it says ..

You are about to install software that can't be authenticated! Doing this may allow a malicious individual to damage or take control of your system.

libnm-glib0 (version 0.6.6-0ubuntu5) will be upgraded to version 0.7~~svn20081018t105859-0ubuntu2~nm2~hardy1
    libnm-util0 (version 0.6.6-0ubuntu5) will be upgraded to version 0.7~~svn20081018t105859-0ubuntu2~nm2~hardy1
    network-manager (version 0.6.6-0ubuntu5) will be upgraded to version 0.7~~svn20081018t105859-0ubuntu2~nm2~hardy1
    network-manager-gnome (version 0.6.6-0ubuntu3) will be upgraded to version 0.7~~svn20081012t133407-0ubuntu1~nm1~hardy1
    wpasupplicant (version 0.6.0+0.5.8-0ubuntu2) will be upgraded to version 0.6.4-1~ubuntu1~ppa1~hardy1
    libpcsclite1 (version 1.4.99-1ubuntu1) will be installed
    Any problems with this ?

Oygle
    Last edited by oygle; December 11th, 2008 at 01:12 PM. Reason: later ..

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

All this has been installed, but the network manager applet is now missing ?

Beans

I have the same problem as Oygle.
    I followed the original update thread and needed to reset policy files to enable download of last 5 files.

Network-Manager is still here and working though icon is lost.

However, the real concern for me is that I'm still with version 0.6.6 not 0.7. Somehow it hasn't updated.

Does anyone know where we go from here to get 0.7?

In my case I'm running Hardy Xubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by firebrick View Post
    I have the same problem as Oygle.
    I followed the original update thread and needed to reset policy files to enable download of last 5 files.

Network-Manager is still here and working though icon is lost.

However, the real concern for me is that I'm still with version 0.6.6 not 0.7. Somehow it hasn't updated.

Does anyone know where we go from here to get 0.7?

In my case I'm running Hardy Xubuntu.
    This is the link to the instructions

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by labinnsw View Post
    Run through it again?

I had the identical process results that Oygle listed where the Network-Manager packages were downloaded and upgraded to 0.7

I take it that they are installed already. But from the menu or alt-f2 I can only access version 0.6.6.

I would appreciate advice on what I should do.

Beans

Re: How to: Install Network Manager 0.7 SVN on Hardy - RESOLVED (my issue)

Quote Originally Posted by apedraza View Post
    I use kvpnc with great success while waiting on nm 0.7 pptp vpn issues to be fixed.

Try to use keep alive packets on your connection to keep it going.

How do you do that? I have the same problem - KVPNC has to reconnect every minute. I can't find a keep-alive option anywhere though (or do you just mean "keep doing something"? I tried continuously pinging google from the terminal, but it croaks after a minute anyway). Any suggestions?

Thanks

Based on someone else's suggestion I tried turning off "Check connection status" in settings under Network / General, and that worked. Apparently if you keep bugging (some?) servers with these checks, they assume you are up to no good, and bounce you.
    Last edited by dumb_question; March 15th, 2009 at 05:03 PM. Reason: RESOLVED

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I had a few issues installing the packages (following the instructions in the first post), however I solved them with the following commands:

I recieved a warning about a missing public key, and unauthenticated packages. This was solved by the following:

Code:
    sudo apt-key adv --recv-keys --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com 248DD1EEBC8EBFE8
    sudo apt-get update
    To resolve the issue with the packages being kept back, instead of "apt-get upgrade" I used "apt-get dist-upgrade" which has smarter dependency resolution.

After a reboot, NetworkManager is now able to recognise and use my mobile phone as a modem.

Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16242526