Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Using smart package manager in Ubuntu hoary

Beans

Using smart package manager in Ubuntu hoary

What about using Smart in ubuntu hoary by default? I am using it in warty and it works nicely (I found a bug in inserting new channels using the gui, but besides that...). It resolves problems installing packages that apt/synaptic can't handle. Maybe it would be a good idea, it is made in python and C. What is you opinion?

ps. If someone thinks it is dificult to install it I will give some more indepth help, but basically you need gcc and python-dev. Then execute python setup.py install, and then to insert a new channel you have to read the docs, but you need at least one deb-sys channel.

Beans

Re: Using smart package manager in Ubuntu hoary

Quote Originally Posted by retype
    What about using Smart in ubuntu hoary by default? I am using it in warty and it works nicely (I found a bug in inserting new channels using the gui, but besides that...). It resolves problems installing packages that apt/synaptic can't handle. Maybe it would be a good idea, it is made in python and C. What is you opinion?

ps. If someone thinks it is dificult to install it I will give some more indepth help, but basically you need gcc and python-dev. Then execute python setup.py install, and then to insert a new channel you have to read the docs, but you need at least one deb-sys channel.
    A .deb in hoary would be cool.
    Before ask "why open one window for each folder?", please read this, this, this, this, this(search for spatial), this and this.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I would like this in the next Ubuntu release, after Hoary.

Smart is too new, and therefore too bleeding-edge to deploy in production environments...
    Quote Originally Posted by tuxradar
    Linux's audio architecture is more like the layers of the Earth's crust than the network model, with lower levels occasionally erupting on to the surface, causing confusion and distress, and upper layers moving to displace the underlying technology that was originally hidden

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by retype

cool, this would be good as a alternative to synaptic.
    Cheerful Ghost - build your game list, write about awesome games and share that with the world. join us!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

*** Packages for Debian (under work!)

As soon as debian packages come out, I'll definitely do a Warty extras with this, so we can start testing...

However, I don't have much faith in this package manager... Especially like with Fedora, all Fedora KDE apps (Amarok, whatever) will be linked to Fedora's castrated KDE edition, which won't be binary-compatible with , say, Debian's KDE.

Heck you can't safely mix Hoary binaries with Warty's , how can you expect to mix across distributions??
    Linux's audio architecture is more like the layers of the Earth's crust than the network model, with lower levels occasionally erupting on to the surface, causing confusion and distress, and upper layers moving to displace the underlying technology that was originally hidden

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jdong
    Heck you can't safely mix Hoary binaries with Warty's , how can you expect to mix across distributions??
    Ok, Let's go again...
    Quote Originally Posted by http://www.smartpm.org/
    Notice that this project is not a magical bridge between every distribution in the planet. Instead, this is a software offering better package management for these distributions, even when working with their own packages. Using multiple package managers at the same time (like rpm and dpkg) is possible, even though not the software goal at this moment
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...13&postcount=9
    Before ask "why open one window for each folder?", please read this, this, this, this, this(search for spatial), this and this.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Yeah.... The first part is what I'm saying. The second part, I don't agree with.

Try installing kdelibs from Fedora with SMART... Look at what a mess is left in /usr -- all the so's are in the wrong places, it's a big mess!

Now, if we had this thing in Hoary, we'd have users here reporting strange problems with packages, and we wouldn't know where to start with helping.

Also, smart is in BETA status right now -- it's definitely not going to be ready for production use in Hoary.

I would love to see this for the next release though... And I will make experimental Ubuntu Warty/Hoary debs as soon as I see Debian packages released on Smart's site... We as the community need to test and tweak this powerful tool!

Beans

Yeah.... The first part is what I'm saying. The second part, I don't agree with.

Try installing kdelibs from Fedora with SMART... Look at what a mess is left in /usr -- all the so's are in the wrong places, it's a big mess!

Now, if we had this thing in Hoary, we'd have users here reporting strange problems with packages, and we wouldn't know where to start with helping.
    Mixing packages from diferent distros, i agree, is not good (that's why many people say that rpm is doomed, it's ease to mix packages from fedora, mandrake, suse, conectiva, etc etc searching things in the internet). But do you installed kdelibs from Fedora with SMART? In that quote that i taked from the site, it's not possible yet and not the focus of the project.
    Using Smart on Hoary you will get only Hoary packages.
    And yes, it is not stable yet. But i think it could be in the hoary's universe.
    Hey, and the Update Manager, Upgrade Notifier and Application Installer? Aren't it writen little time ago? will it be keep on the hoary until the release?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by EdCrypt
    And yes, it is not stable yet. But i think it could be in the hoary's universe.
    Hey, and the Update Manager, Upgrade Notifier and Application Installer? Aren't it writen little time ago? will it be keep on the hoary until the release?
    Err, those are EXTREMELY basic and trivial wrappers around synaptic... they don't taint untested/unknown repositories into Ubuntu, and most importantly, they are simple projects that anyone can write in a month's time!

Beans

Err, those are EXTREMELY basic and trivial wrappers around synaptic... they don't taint untested/unknown repositories into Ubuntu, and most importantly, they are simple projects that anyone can write in a month's time!
    Well, but i hope you don't think anymore that SMART do that...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast