Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Using smart package manager in Ubuntu hoary

Beans

Re: Using smart package manager in Ubuntu hoary

Quote Originally Posted by jdodson
    cool, this would be good as a alternative to synaptic.

Alternative to the best software-package I've ever seen....
    Blasphemy
    If this is life, I think I'll live another day

Beans

Before ask "why open one window for each folder?", please read this, this, this, this, this(search for spatial), this and this.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by demon666_nl
    i installed the debian package from smartpm.org on my hoary. It doesn't work. A hoary package would be handy.

smart output :
    Code:
    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "/usr/bin/smart", line 27, in ?
        from smart.const import VERSION, DEBUG, DATADIR
    ImportError: No module named smart.const
    I get the exact same error message with the debian package from the smart homepage. I then took the warty backport even I run hoary. Same problem. Don't know what the problem is. Anyone achieved make it run under hoary?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by EdCrypt
    Without sources or , more importantly, the necessary diff.gz debianized patch to the source. VERY helpful...
    Quote Originally Posted by tuxradar
    Linux's audio architecture is more like the layers of the Earth's crust than the network model, with lower levels occasionally erupting on to the surface, causing confusion and distress, and upper layers moving to displace the underlying technology that was originally hidden

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Quote Originally Posted by jdong
    *** Packages for Debian (under work!)

As soon as debian packages come out, I'll definitely do a Warty extras with this, so we can start testing...

However, I don't have much faith in this package manager... Especially like with Fedora, all Fedora KDE apps (Amarok, whatever) will be linked to Fedora's castrated KDE edition, which won't be binary-compatible with , say, Debian's KDE.

Heck you can't safely mix Hoary binaries with Warty's , how can you expect to mix across distributions??
    Because it allows you to specify priorities to each repository or channel. I have added hoary and made it top priority. It does not mess anything up since it always takes from the hoary repository ... and if it is not in hoary it will go to the warty ones. You can also specify priorities to individual packages and say ... only update mplayer from THIS repo whenever you do an update. You can force a version with synaptic ... but when you update there are no priorities and will go to whichever one.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nuopus
    Because it allows you to specify priorities to each repository or channel. I have added hoary and made it top priority. It does not mess anything up since it always takes from the hoary repository ... and if it is not in hoary it will go to the warty ones. You can also specify priorities to individual packages and say ... only update mplayer from THIS repo whenever you do an update. You can force a version with synaptic ... but when you update there are no priorities and will go to whichever one.
    Did you achieve to make it work under hoary? Can you explain the steps?
    thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Quote Originally Posted by rwabel
    thanks
    Yes. Just add a new channel with http://archive.ubuntulinux.org/ubuntu as the location, warty as distrib and main restricted universe multiverse. I then set the priority of the warty channel to -10 and the priority of the hoary one to 1.

After that you then have to go and hit the reload button. You can then do a full upgrade and it will only upgrade from warty since the priority of it is so much higher than warty.

Another advantage is you can set an individual package from warty to higher than the hoary ones so when you upgrade you only get that ONE package upgraded from warty. Works very nice for buggy packages that you want to keep the warty version for.
    Last edited by nuopus; January 5th, 2005 at 08:39 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Quote Originally Posted by rwabel
    thanks
    I think I am going to get brave and try to add an rpm repository to it too just to see if it will work. I should though ... as long as I set the priority to -10 and change warty to -9 or something. Will let you know if it works!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nuopus
    Yes. Just add a new channel with http://archive.ubuntulinux.org/ubuntu as the location, warty as distrib and main restricted universe multiverse. I then set the priority of the warty channel to -10 and the priority of the hoary one to 1.

After that you then have to go and hit the reload button. You can then do a full upgrade and it will only upgrade from warty since the priority of it is so much higher than warty.

Another advantage is you can set an individual package from warty to higher than the hoary ones so when you upgrade you only get that ONE package upgraded from warty. Works very nice for buggy packages that you want to keep the warty version for.
    That sounds great, my problem is already with smart. How the heck did you make smart work? I always get the same message:
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/usr/bin/smart", line 27, in ?
    from smart.const import VERSION, DEBUG, DATADIR
    ImportError: No module named smart.const

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Please stay on the topic of discussing Smart and Hoary, problems with installing smart.
    Quote Originally Posted by tuxradar
    Linux's audio architecture is more like the layers of the Earth's crust than the network model, with lower levels occasionally erupting on to the surface, causing confusion and distress, and upper layers moving to displace the underlying technology that was originally hidden

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast