Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Using smart package manager in Ubuntu hoary

Beans

Re: Using smart package manager in Ubuntu hoary

Smart is not beta, the first stable has been released and I used it without problems. I think it could work as the only package manager, doing everything including updates in hoary. There is already a kde applet that does this and ubuntu could use the code they have developed to make a gnome applet.

I WILL SAY THIS AGAIN, WITH BOLD AND CAPS, YOU ARE NOT GOING TO INSTALL FEDORA PACKAGES IN ANY DEBIAN AND GET AWAY WITH IT, THIS IS A REALLY STUPID THING TO DO.

But I really think that using it in ubuntu would give an advantage to the hole system package management. I really does the things apt should be doing, but in a clean and portable (but not hybrid (this second level parenthesis is to remind everyone to not mix apt-rpm or yum channels in an Ubuntu dist)) solution, and the update applet could be used by others distributions helping the hole linux community.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Does SMART act as a frontend over the other packaging tools, like Synaptic or KPackage is in relation to APT or RPM, or does SMART actually handle dependency resolving and REPLACE APT (Like up2date)?

If it was just another better frontend, then I'd have more tolerance for Smart.
    Quote Originally Posted by tuxradar
    Linux's audio architecture is more like the layers of the Earth's crust than the network model, with lower levels occasionally erupting on to the surface, causing confusion and distress, and upper layers moving to displace the underlying technology that was originally hidden

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by jdong
    Does SMART act as a frontend over the other packaging tools, like Synaptic or KPackage is in relation to APT or RPM, or does SMART actually handle dependency resolving and REPLACE APT (Like up2date)?
    No, Smart is not another interface to apt like synaptic, you would use it instead of apt. You could see it as a frontend to dpkg, like yum is a frontend to rpm. Smart doesn't use apt, it's only dependency for deb support is dpkg.

Smart implements new and better algorithms than yum, apt, or urpmi to resolve dependencies. That is what Smart is all about, a more intelligent dependency resolver.

There are some case studies on the Smart website which show real-world dependency problems which yum and apt failed to resolve, but smart resolves them.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Ok, after reading some of the documentation, I'll let down my hostility shield...

**Making debs of SPM**
    Linux's audio architecture is more like the layers of the Earth's crust than the network model, with lower levels occasionally erupting on to the surface, causing confusion and distress, and upper layers moving to displace the underlying technology that was originally hidden

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Ok, I have preliminary debs made. I'll think about what to do with them.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Smart Package Manager debs uploaded to my Warty-extras-staging area.

deb http://ubuntu-bp.sourceforge.net/ubuntu warty-extras-staging contrib universe

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

i installed the debian package from smartpm.org on my hoary. It doesn't work. A hoary package would be handy.

smart output :
    Code:
    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "/usr/bin/smart", line 27, in ?
        from smart.const import VERSION, DEBUG, DATADIR
    ImportError: No module named smart.const
    Last edited by demon666_nl; December 18th, 2004 at 06:44 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Does my warty .deb work in Hoary? Hoary should be 100% backwards-compatible with my build.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by jdong
    Does my warty .deb work in Hoary? Hoary should be 100% backwards-compatible with my build.
    I'll try and otherwise I'll just build the source or something .

Beans

Building from source is easy, but if someone made a debian package it will be easier, I made a script to import all sources from source.list to smart, If someone wants me to help in making it in the official package I would be very proud to help.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast