Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dell or System 76?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Dell or System 76?

Here is a comparison of Dell and System 76's basic desktops.

Code:
    Dell 530N		        System 76 Ratel Value                                								
       BOTH: Intel® dual-core E2180 (2GHz) 
       BOTH: 1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz- 2DIMMs 
       BOTH: 250GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) 
       BOTH: Networking: 10/100 (LAN) 
    Ubuntu 7.10 			Ubuntu 8.04	      				 
    LinDVD (legal DVD player)	-- (?)	      				 
    16x DVD+/-RW Drive 		CD-RW / DVD-RW				
    nVidia GeForce 8300GS 128MB	Intel 950 Graphics Media Accelerator	
    Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio	Realtek ALC 662 4 Channel Audio		
    10 USB Ports 	     	        6 USB Ports 
    USB Keyboard/Optical Mouse	Logitech Internet 350 Desktop Keyboard/Mouse 
    1Yr In-Home Service, 		Hardware Warranty 1 Yr. 	
        Parts+Labor			    Ltd. Warranty and Technical				     	 							
        24x7 Phone Support							                                                                

$319				$577
    These are the web pages I used to configure the machines.
    dell: http://configure.us.dell.com/dellsto...topic~linux_3x
    system76: http://system76.com/product_info.php...products_id=80

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I have both Dell and System 76 laptops.

My previous company used Dell exclusively with various versions of Windows. Dell gave fantastic hardware support, for which we paid. Dell gave limited operating system support and the many proprietary programs that we used as an OEM in automated machinery, they knew nothing about. I still recommend Dell to my current clients for Windows platforms.

However, if you need support beyond hardware replacement on Linux-based systems, I would highly recommend System 76 over Dell. I have no relationship with System 76, other than being a satisfied customer.

Before going with System 76, I went with Dell. I called several times with various issues. There may be competent Linux support staff working for Dell, but I was never able to reach them by telephone. The local Dell support staff were not trained in Linux, either. Oh, I could get a keyboard replaced, but no software help.

I realized that the Dell foray into Linux is a side-line for them. I applaud their efforts. Yet for System 76, Linux is no side-line. It has been written by others, but it is really pertinent...where is the Ubuntu Dell support forum?

The desktop system quoted in the previous post showed a couple hundred dollars difference. If you do not need support, then maybe cheaper is better. Yet if you need support, you can get it here from System 76. Where will you REALLY get support for Ubuntu from Dell?
    System76 Serval Performance SER-P3 December 2007 Ubuntu 10.04 LTS 32-bit | System76 Meerkat NetTop MENT1 July 2009 Ubuntu 9.10 32-bit

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Another Choice

If you want a top of the line laptop with superior build quality, best keyboard, display and structural rigidity, and Ubuntu Linux friendly it's hard to beat a ThinkPad. They are currently offering the "R" models in 15.4" & 14.1" widescreens for just $536 & $618 respectively. And that's with a nice selection of components.

A friend of mine just got his 15.4" last week, I Installed Ubuntu on it for him and in less than two hours he was up and running just like it came preloaded on the laptop. Everything works, it's fast stable and he is truly enjoying it. IBM supports Lenovo and they are very Linux friendly. So I just thought I would share this alternative.

Source:

Cheers
    My Dual Boot ThinkPads... W700 ~ W500 ~ T500 ~ T60 ~ X60s

Dedicated Ubuntu Thinkpads... T400 ~ X301 ~ X200s ~ R51

Beans
    Distro

Angry Re: Dell or System 76?

I'd have to easily say go with System 76. [/rant] I'm saying this not just because their computers are badly made and when you call their tech support your probably calling a teenager in the house down the street, but because as soon as you install ubuntu on their computer, they don't give you any support [/rant]

Now, System 76 comes loaded with ubuntu, which is great. If there is a problem, they give you excellent customer service. System 76 is one of my favorite computer companies. So, seriously, go with System 76. Their computers also come with hardware made to work with ubuntu. If you buy a dell, I guarantee one thing will go wrong with a video,audio,wi-fi,etc.

Hope you buy System 76 and not dell

-We Eat Vista

P.S. System 76 have pimp stickers, and they give them to you for free =D

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I've been pretty happy with System 76. They've been super good about helping to get stuff set up and figured out. Its a great little laptop (I have a gazelle, think its the performance gazp4 or 5 or something)! My only complaints are the unfunctioning finger print scanner, and the system 76 sticker on the front is kinda peeling off... though that may be my son's fault (he's 15 months...)
    Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. - Goethe

Education is what is left when you have forgotten all the facts. -Francis Bacon

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by EmilyRose View Post
    I've been pretty happy with System 76. My only complaints are the unfunctioning finger print scanner,
    This is a very common complaint on just about any brand of laptop, with any OS, that has a fingerprint scanner. One of the best is ThinkPad and yet I couldn't get it to work for me. In the end it was because my fingerprints are very hard to read. Therefore if that's the only complaint you have, your System 76 is a great laptop!

Cheers!
    My Dual Boot ThinkPads... W700 ~ W500 ~ T500 ~ T60 ~ X60s

Dedicated Ubuntu Thinkpads... T400 ~ X301 ~ X200s ~ R51

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123