Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 97

Thread: bcm4306 and ssb

  1. #21
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Beans
    87

    Re: bcm4306 and ssb

    OK. Here's lsmod. It doesn't have ssb in it because I removed prior to my last post:

    Module Size Used by
    ndiswrapper 193564 0
    rfcomm 41744 2
    l2cap 25728 13 rfcomm
    bluetooth 61156 4 rfcomm,l2cap
    ppdev 10372 0
    ipv6 267780 18
    speedstep_centrino 9152 0
    cpufreq_stats 7104 0
    cpufreq_conservative 8712 0
    cpufreq_userspace 5284 0
    cpufreq_ondemand 9740 1
    freq_table 5536 3 speedstep_centrino,cpufreq_stats,cpufreq_ondemand
    cpufreq_powersave 2688 0
    af_packet 23812 2
    iptable_filter 3840 0
    ip_tables 14820 1 iptable_filter
    x_tables 16132 1 ip_tables
    nls_iso8859_1 4992 1
    nls_cp437 6656 1
    vfat 14464 1
    fat 54556 1 vfat
    sbp2 24072 0
    lp 12324 0
    joydev 13120 0
    pcmcia 40876 0
    snd_intel8x0 35356 3
    snd_ac97_codec 101028 1 snd_intel8x0
    ac97_bus 3072 1 snd_ac97_codec
    snd_pcm_oss 42144 0
    snd_mixer_oss 17920 1 snd_pcm_oss
    dcdbas 9504 0
    parport_pc 36260 1
    parport 37832 3 ppdev,lp,parport_pc
    snd_pcm 78596 3 snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss
    evdev 13056 6
    snd_seq_dummy 4868 0
    video 19856 0
    output 4736 1 video
    snd_seq_oss 35584 0
    serio_raw 7940 0
    snd_seq_midi 9376 0
    nvidia 4718832 22
    snd_rawmidi 25760 1 snd_seq_midi
    psmouse 40336 0
    yenta_socket 27276 2
    rsrc_nonstatic 13696 1 yenta_socket
    pcmcia_core 40596 3 pcmcia,yenta_socket,rsrc_nonstatic
    snd_seq_midi_event 8320 2 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi
    i2c_core 24832 1 nvidia
    snd_seq 54224 6 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_seq_mid i_event
    snd_timer 24836 2 snd_pcm,snd_seq
    snd_seq_device 9612 5 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_rawmidi ,snd_seq
    button 9232 0
    battery 14212 0
    snd 56996 17 snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_ oss,snd_pcm,snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_rawmidi, snd_seq,snd_timer,snd_seq_device
    ac 6916 0
    pcspkr 4224 0
    soundcore 8800 1 snd
    snd_page_alloc 11400 2 snd_intel8x0,snd_pcm
    iTCO_wdt 13092 0
    iTCO_vendor_support 4868 1 iTCO_wdt
    intel_agp 25492 1
    agpgart 34760 2 nvidia,intel_agp
    shpchp 34452 0
    pci_hotplug 30880 1 shpchp
    ext3 136712 2
    jbd 48404 1 ext3
    mbcache 9600 1 ext3
    sg 36880 0
    sr_mod 17956 0
    cdrom 37408 1 sr_mod
    sd_mod 30720 6
    ata_piix 19588 5
    ata_generic 8324 0
    pata_acpi 8320 0
    libata 159344 3 ata_piix,ata_generic,pata_acpi
    ohci1394 33584 0
    scsi_mod 151436 5 sbp2,sg,sr_mod,sd_mod,libata
    ieee1394 93752 2 sbp2,ohci1394
    ehci_hcd 37900 0
    uhci_hcd 27024 0
    tg3 116228 0
    usbcore 146028 4 ndiswrapper,ehci_hcd,uhci_hcd
    thermal 16796 0
    processor 36872 2 thermal
    fan 5636 0
    fbcon 42912 0
    tileblit 3456 1 fbcon
    font 9472 1 fbcon
    bitblit 6784 1 fbcon
    softcursor 3072 1 bitblit
    fuse 50580 3

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Mount Horeb, WI
    Beans
    4,312
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

    Re: bcm4306 and ssb

    Quote Originally Posted by backdoc View Post
    Something I find odd is the result of ndiswrapper -l. It shows:

    bcmwl5 : driver installed
    device (14E4:4320) present (alternate driver: ssb)

    Before I upgraded, it never used to mention the "alternate driver: ssb" part. I've tried removing and adding it back several times. It always says this.
    The older versions used to show (alternate driver: bc43xx) for some people. I used to have it. I now have (alternate driver: ssb). Right now I am currently using ndiswrapper because I wanted to test out ssb.

    If you really want to test out ssb, don't blacklist it. Don't bother with anything else. You have to make sure that you don't have any Hardy fixes for b44 and ssb, because if you do, it will show up. Reboot your machine and see if it comes up. Make sure that b43 and b44 do not show up. If they do show up, then ssb will be there.

    I have tried it out on mine and ssb does not show up.

    By any chance, did you load the firmware for the b43/b43legacy drivers? I am pretty sure that yours is a b43legacy which I have only helped one person get that installed (did not use ndiswrapper). If you did, we could try and move out the firmware for it and see if it makes a difference.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Kitakyushu Japan
    Beans
    9,361
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

    Re: bcm4306 and ssb

    humm
    with ssb unloaded and ndiswrapper loaded what's the output of:
    Code:
    lshw -C network
    perhaps it would be better to post your lsmod with ssb loaded.

    i would double check your blacklist to make sure you have ssb

  4. #24
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Beans
    87

    Re: bcm4306 and ssb

    Quote Originally Posted by Ayuthia View Post
    Right now I am currently using ndiswrapper because I wanted to test out ssb.
    I don't understand the connection. Why does using ndiswrapper have anything to do with ssb?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ayuthia View Post
    If you really want to test out ssb, don't blacklist it.
    Oh. I'm not trying to test ssb. I don't know what it is. I'm trying to get around it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ayuthia View Post
    You have to make sure that you don't have any Hardy fixes for b44 and ssb, because if you do, it will show up.
    How do I make sure I don't have any Hardy fixes for b44 and ssb?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ayuthia View Post
    Reboot your machine and see if it comes up. Make sure that b43 and b44 do not show up. If they do show up, then ssb will be there.
    By "it", I assume you mean ssb. I'll reboot again and see if b43, b44 or ssb are there on boot. I'll post back and let you know.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ayuthia View Post
    By any chance, did you load the firmware for the b43/b43legacy drivers? I am pretty sure that yours is a b43legacy which I have only helped one person get that installed (did not use ndiswrapper). If you did, we could try and move out the firmware for it and see if it makes a difference.
    Hmmmm. We could take a look at this. I haven't knowingly done this. But, it is certainly possible possible.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Beans
    87

    Re: bcm4306 and ssb

    Quote Originally Posted by Ayuthia View Post
    The older versions used to show (alternate driver: bc43xx) for some people. I used to have it. I now have (alternate driver: ssb). Right now I am currently using ndiswrapper because I wanted to test out ssb.

    If you really want to test out ssb, don't blacklist it. Don't bother with anything else. You have to make sure that you don't have any Hardy fixes for b44 and ssb, because if you do, it will show up. Reboot your machine and see if it comes up. Make sure that b43 and b44 do not show up. If they do show up, then ssb will be there.

    I have tried it out on mine and ssb does not show up.

    By any chance, did you load the firmware for the b43/b43legacy drivers? I am pretty sure that yours is a b43legacy which I have only helped one person get that installed (did not use ndiswrapper). If you did, we could try and move out the firmware for it and see if it makes a difference.
    On a fresh reboot, here we go:

    lsmod |grep -e ndis -e ssb -e b44 -e b43
    ndiswrapper 193564 0
    ssb 32260 0
    usbcore 146028 4 ndiswrapper,ehci_hcd,uhci_hcd

    Per dmizer's request, I'm going to post my entire lsmod again. See my upcoming post.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Beans
    87

    Re: bcm4306 and ssb

    Quote Originally Posted by dmizer View Post
    humm
    with ssb unloaded and ndiswrapper loaded what's the output of:
    Code:
    lshw -C network
    perhaps it would be better to post your lsmod with ssb loaded.

    i would double check your blacklist to make sure you have ssb
    Since ssb was loaded on reboot, I'll post the entire lsmod in the state it's in before I do anything. Then, I'll unload ssb and ndiswrapper and post the entire lshw -C network output. Both below . . .

    Code:
    lsmod

    Module Size Used by
    rfcomm 41744 2
    l2cap 25728 13 rfcomm
    bluetooth 61156 4 rfcomm,l2cap
    ppdev 10372 0
    ipv6 267780 17
    speedstep_centrino 9152 0
    cpufreq_stats 7104 0
    cpufreq_conservative 8712 0
    cpufreq_userspace 5284 0
    cpufreq_ondemand 9740 1
    freq_table 5536 3 speedstep_centrino,cpufreq_stats,cpufreq_ondemand
    cpufreq_powersave 2688 0
    af_packet 23812 2
    iptable_filter 3840 0
    ip_tables 14820 1 iptable_filter
    x_tables 16132 1 ip_tables
    nls_iso8859_1 4992 1
    nls_cp437 6656 1
    vfat 14464 1
    fat 54556 1 vfat
    ndiswrapper 193564 0
    sbp2 24072 0
    lp 12324 0
    joydev 13120 0
    pcmcia 40876 0
    snd_intel8x0 35356 3
    snd_ac97_codec 101028 1 snd_intel8x0
    ac97_bus 3072 1 snd_ac97_codec
    snd_pcm_oss 42144 0
    snd_mixer_oss 17920 1 snd_pcm_oss
    snd_pcm 78596 3 snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss
    dcdbas 9504 0
    evdev 13056 6
    parport_pc 36260 1
    parport 37832 3 ppdev,lp,parport_pc
    snd_seq_dummy 4868 0
    serio_raw 7940 0
    video 19856 0
    output 4736 1 video
    snd_seq_oss 35584 0
    snd_seq_midi 9376 0
    nvidia 4718832 22
    snd_rawmidi 25760 1 snd_seq_midi
    snd_seq_midi_event 8320 2 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi
    yenta_socket 27276 2
    rsrc_nonstatic 13696 1 yenta_socket
    pcmcia_core 40596 3 pcmcia,yenta_socket,rsrc_nonstatic
    i2c_core 24832 1 nvidia
    snd_seq 54224 6 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_seq_mid i_event
    psmouse 40336 0
    button 9232 0
    snd_timer 24836 2 snd_pcm,snd_seq
    snd_seq_device 9612 5 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_rawmidi ,snd_seq
    battery 14212 0
    snd 56996 17 snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_ oss,snd_pcm,snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_rawmidi, snd_seq,snd_timer,snd_seq_device
    ac 6916 0
    pcspkr 4224 0
    soundcore 8800 1 snd
    snd_page_alloc 11400 2 snd_intel8x0,snd_pcm
    iTCO_wdt 13092 0
    iTCO_vendor_support 4868 1 iTCO_wdt
    intel_agp 25492 1
    agpgart 34760 2 nvidia,intel_agp
    shpchp 34452 0
    pci_hotplug 30880 1 shpchp
    ext3 136712 2
    jbd 48404 1 ext3
    mbcache 9600 1 ext3
    sg 36880 0
    sr_mod 17956 0
    cdrom 37408 1 sr_mod
    sd_mod 30720 6
    ata_piix 19588 5
    ata_generic 8324 0
    ohci1394 33584 0
    pata_acpi 8320 0
    ieee1394 93752 2 sbp2,ohci1394
    ssb 32260 0
    libata 159344 3 ata_piix,ata_generic,pata_acpi
    ehci_hcd 37900 0
    tg3 116228 0
    uhci_hcd 27024 0
    scsi_mod 151436 5 sbp2,sg,sr_mod,sd_mod,libata
    usbcore 146028 4 ndiswrapper,ehci_hcd,uhci_hcd
    thermal 16796 0
    processor 36872 2 thermal
    fan 5636 0
    fbcon 42912 0
    tileblit 3456 1 fbcon
    font 9472 1 fbcon
    bitblit 6784 1 fbcon
    softcursor 3072 1 bitblit
    fuse 50580 3

    Code:
    root@laptop:/home/backdoc# rmmod ssb
    root@laptop:/home/backdoc# rmmod ndiswrapper
    root@laptop:/home/backdoc# lshw -C network

    *-network:0
    description: Ethernet interface
    product: NetXtreme BCM5705M Gigabit Ethernet
    vendor: Broadcom Corporation
    physical id: 0
    bus info: pci@0000:02:00.0
    logical name: eth0
    version: 01
    serial: 00:0b:db:9a:46:96
    size: 100MB/s
    capacity: 1GB/s
    width: 64 bits
    clock: 66MHz
    capabilities: pm vpd msi bus_master cap_list ethernet physical tp 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd 1000bt 1000bt-fd autonegotiation
    configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=tg3 driverversion=3.86 duplex=full firmware=5705-v3.11 ip=192.168.1.11 latency=32 link=yes mingnt=64 module=tg3 multicast=yes port=twisted pair speed=100MB/s
    *-network:1 UNCLAIMED
    description: Network controller
    product: BCM4306 802.11b/g Wireless LAN Controller
    vendor: Broadcom Corporation
    physical id: 3
    bus info: pci@0000:02:03.0
    version: 02
    width: 32 bits
    clock: 33MHz
    capabilities: pm cap_list
    configuration: latency=32

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Mount Horeb, WI
    Beans
    4,312
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

    Re: bcm4306 and ssb

    Quote Originally Posted by backdoc View Post
    On a fresh reboot, here we go:

    lsmod |grep -e ndis -e ssb -e b44 -e b43
    ndiswrapper 193564 0
    ssb 32260 0
    usbcore 146028 4 ndiswrapper,ehci_hcd,uhci_hcd

    Per dmizer's request, I'm going to post my entire lsmod again. See my upcoming post.
    Do you have ssb in your init.d script?

    I do have a new question--if you remove both ndiswrapper and b43, does ifconfig still show eth1? If so, what happens when you do:
    Code:
    sudo ifconfig eth1 down
    sudo modprobe ndiswrapper
    I am going to go back and answer your other questions in the other post.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Mount Horeb, WI
    Beans
    4,312
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

    Re: bcm4306 and ssb

    Quote Originally Posted by backdoc View Post
    I don't understand the connection. Why does using ndiswrapper have anything to do with ssb?
    ssb has to be loaded after ndiswrapper or else ndiswrapper does not work.

    How do I make sure I don't have any Hardy fixes for b44 and ssb?
    The only Hardy fixes are the ones that you would have done on your own. Right now, the only one that was mentioned in this post was your init.d script.

    By "it", I assume you mean ssb. I'll reboot again and see if b43, b44 or ssb are there on boot. I'll post back and let you know.
    You were correct, as I asked in my previous post, I was thinking that ssb was being loaded because of the init.d script. If it is no longer in the script, then we know that you need to have it.

    Hmmmm. We could take a look at this. I haven't knowingly done this. But, it is certainly possible possible.
    If you did not run b43-fwcutter or activate it in System->Administration->Hardware Drivers then you did not load it. You can confirm this by seeing if the b43 and b43legacy directories are out there in /lib/firmware.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Beans
    87

    Re: bcm4306 and ssb

    Quote Originally Posted by Ayuthia View Post
    Do you have ssb in your init.d script?
    Yes and No. I have an ndiswrapper script that removed several modules and then added some back. But, it should not be getting executed because I'm not calling it from my rc2.d directory.
    Code:
    root@laptop:/home/backdoc# grep -ir ssb /etc/init.d/*
    /etc/init.d/ndiswrapper:rmmod ssb
    /etc/init.d/ndiswrapper:modprobe ssb
    But, there's no symlink to it. I left it in for reference later. I could delete it.
    Code:
    root@laptop:/home/backdoc# ls /etc/rc2.d/ |grep ndiswrapper
    returns nothing

    Quote Originally Posted by Ayuthia View Post
    I do have a new question--if you remove both ndiswrapper and b43, does ifconfig still show eth1? If so, what happens when you do:
    Code:
    sudo ifconfig eth1 down
    sudo modprobe ndiswrapper
    OK. ifconfig never shows eth1, neither does iwconfig. If I try to do an "ifdown eth1", it just tells me that the device is not configured. Then, modprobe'ing ndiswrapper does not make eth1 show up in ifconfig or iwconfig.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayuthia View Post
    I am going to go back and answer your other questions in the other post.
    Cool. First things first .

  10. #30
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Beans
    87

    Re: bcm4306 and ssb

    Quote Originally Posted by Ayuthia View Post
    The only Hardy fixes are the ones that you would have done on your own. Right now, the only one that was mentioned in this post was your init.d script.

    You were correct, as I asked in my previous post, I was thinking that ssb was being loaded because of the init.d script. If it is no longer in the script, then we know that you need to have it.
    Yeah. Per my last post, I think I will just delete that file to reduce confusion. I don't need it any way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayuthia View Post
    If you did not run b43-fwcutter or activate it in System->Administration->Hardware Drivers then you did not load it. You can confirm this by seeing if the b43 and b43legacy directories are out there in /lib/firmware.
    Well, we have stumbled onto something. I have ran b43-fwcutter. And, I do have quite a few references to some *.fw files, as well as some directories named after kernel versions. Should I remove all of those *.fw files? What about the kernel version directories? They are loaded with stuff.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •