Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: bcm4306 and ssb

Beans

Re: bcm4306 and ssb -- no luck

I am posting back to let everyone know that I have to throw in the towel on this one, at least for now.

I blew a backup image back down to my laptop. So, I'm back at Gutsy. The odd thing is, my wifi isn't working. I'm sure it was working when I took that image.

Anyway, I sincerely appreciate everyone's help and suggestions. But, I just don't have time to beat my head against the wall with it anymore. If I decide to do anything different, I'll try and post back.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: bcm4306 and ssb -- no luck

Quote Originally Posted by backdoc View Post
    I blew a backup image back down to my laptop. So, I'm back at Gutsy. The odd thing is, my wifi isn't working. I'm sure it was working when I took that image.
    perhaps the card's gone bad?

Beans

Re: bcm4306 and ssb [might as well call it solved]

I'm not tagging this thread as [SOLVED] because I'm back in Gutsy. But, if I had tried what I just tried, it might have worked in Hardy, too. Never the less, I do have wireless working again. dmizer, you were half right with your last post regarding my wireless card having gone bad. It wasn't bad, it was turned off. I actually thought about that many days ago. And, I tried turning it back on. It didn't work, though. Here's why it was hard to figure out and how I finally did figured it out.

To turn the wireless card Off and On, you have to use the function keys on the keyboard (not the F1-F12 keys, but the dual function keys on the regular letter keys). Way back in this thread, I don't know if I posted it or not but, I tried using the function keys to turn it On. There's no visual indication as to whether the card is powered Off or On. So, I couldn't tell if I was turning it from Off to On or On to Off. So, I tried unloading and reloading the modules and drivers both ways. I figured I would cover it either way. I wondered if my function keys were even having an effect. But, I figured that if I tried it both ways, I should be OK. And, if the keys weren't working, I couldn't have accidentally turned it Off anyways. And, if they were working, I would have got it back on. Eventually, I discounted that as a potential problem.

Fast forward to today....

After rolling back to an image of my Gutsy install, and then doing most all of the things that we talked about in in this thread. I still couldn't get it to work. It looked like everything was loading correctly. But, I just couldn't get a signal, which was the same situation as I mentioned before. I was beginning to think the wireless side of my router was not working. So, I thought, I would reboot into Windows and see if I could get wireless working in Windows. Well..... I couldn't. I couldn't even see any wireless networks. If I hadn't already let the cat out of the bag, you'd be thinking, "Aha! It was his router." Nope. My router was working. Then, you'd be thinking, "Aha! His card was dead." Nope. It was just turned off. I hit the function key combo to toggle my wireless card to On and refreshed the available networks. I could see two of them. So, I knew I had the card turned back on. I quickly rebooted back into Linux. And, Bam!. My wireless was working.

So, here's some food for thought. Even restoring an image didn't reset my card to the On position. That means the setting is probably stored in the bios, not in the user space as I would have guessed. Not all function key combos do not work on Ubuntu out of the box. Some, like volume, do work. But, the one that turns my card On and Off does not. Don't make the assumption that I did. Is there a way in Ubuntu to verify if the card has power? What if I didn't have Windows installed to turn my card back on, does Ubuntu have a way?

The moral of the story for all of you kids out there: Just because you can see your card with lspci and load a driver for it, that doesn't mean that it is turned on (something else I wouldn't have thought to be true). If you are not using a card that has a light on it, make Damn sure you have your card powered on before you pull your last two hairs out trying everything under the sun (like me). How do you do that? I don't know. I suspect there is a way. But, I haven't looked yet. As soon as I got wireless back up and running, I updated this thread.

I may get brave again and try upgrading to Hardy again to see if I can't get wireless working on it. But, I'm too beat up to take on that challenge right now. And, as stated, I just don't have time for at least a month. When or if I do, I'll come back and mark this thread officially [SOLVED].

Thanks again for all you wonderful people who stuck with me, reading tortuous convoluted threads and offering suggestions.
    Last edited by backdoc; June 4th, 2008 at 08:56 PM. Reason: typo

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

wow ... how painful was that. sorry.

glad you're at least online now though.

Beans

I have a shiny LED that tells me whether the card has power or not. I'm willing to bet there's probably a setting somewhere in the bios to toggle it. My hotkey will work in Ubuntu, but only if the card is active when I boot. Otherwise it won't work at all until I've reset it in the bios.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dmizer View Post
    wow ... how painful was that. sorry.

glad you're at least online now though.
    Yeah... And, it should be the "A" number one thing that all wireless HOWTO's check. Ubuntu should detect if you are attempting to use a wireless device that is powered off and warn you about it.

Hopefully someone else will benefit from this.
    Last edited by backdoc; June 5th, 2008 at 03:46 AM. Reason: typo

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by backdoc View Post
    Is there a way in Ubuntu to verify if the card has power? What if I didn't have Windows installed to turn my card back on, does Ubuntu have a way?
    I don't know if I have found it or not, but it seems to work with my card. Try the following:
    Code:
    cat /sys/class/rfkill/rfkill*/state
    It will return a 1 if it is on and a 0 if it is off. I am not for sure about how it works yet, but I do know that it is linked to my card.

EDIT: I just realized that it is pointing to the ssb portion so you might not be able to find it in Gutsy since you are using ndiswrapper...
    Last edited by Ayuthia; June 5th, 2008 at 11:38 PM.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910