Thread: Hardy Hardly Holds on to Hard Drives

Beans

Hardy Hardly Holds on to Hard Drives

I have been having this problem with Hardy on both of my computers, a Toshiba Satellite M20 and my Athlon 64 3700+ (socket 939) on a MSI K8N-SLI motherboard using SATA hard drives; after being in use for an indiscriminate amount of time, Hardy seems to lose the hard drive (the primary that the OS is installed on). It loses read/write support and shortly after everything locks up as it tries to read from the drive. First sign is often Pidgin telling me that my new conversation can't be logged or an inability to open programs that aren't already loaded into the ram. This problem was not present at all on 7.04, and both of the computers have a fresh Heron install.

I've spent the last couple hours (through a few reboots) looking on the forums and couldn't find any problem like mine. Has anybody else had this problem, and if so are there any solutions you know of? I really would like to have Hardy working properly, as everything else seems to be working just fine here on the desktop aside from that.

Thanks a lot

Beans

Re: Hardy Hardly Holds on to Hard Drives

As a quick update to the problem, now both of my PCs are down. Seems hardy was trying to write to the wrong parts of the hard drive before failure; I had to repair the tables extensively to get it to boot again and the problem is becoming more and more regular. I have decided to cease using those computers to protect my hard drives until I can find a solution or I install Sabayon, which ever comes first.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Heya
    this sounds sort of like my problem which is also in the same category
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=795787

My first sign would be that amarok would stop playing music
    could it be the same problem??
    I feel so old... so very old

My rig(s) (in 2007)
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...postcount=1405

Beans

looks like it very well is the same problem. I have the laptop limping along right now, the desktop is getting a dose of Fedora for the time being. Here's hoping somebody has seen this before and knows what is up with it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

I've done the updates (kernel update included) and still no luck, I can't really live without me beloved ubuntu. Someone please help

After it can't read the Hard disk, It tries to remount the root partition as read only but still fails. I do not think any logs are taken as the HDD is completely unreadable/unwriteable

this happened twice just trying to post this
    Last edited by 00arthuryu; May 18th, 2008 at 04:02 PM.
    I feel so old... so very old

My rig(s) (in 2007)
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...postcount=1405