Thread: Sharing files between host (Ubuntu Hardy) and guest (Win XP Home) using VirtualBox OS

Beans

Sharing files between host (Ubuntu Hardy) and guest (Win XP Home) using VirtualBox OS

I recently wiped my hard drive out and installed Ubuntu by itself. Hardy is the first ever Ubuntu to work ¨out of the box¨ for me, and I love it.

However, I need to run Windows virtually for a couple programs that Wine can´t handle. I can get Windows up and running in the VB, but I can´t figure out how to share files between the host and guest. I use NAT connection with guest, but only because the Host Interface doesn´t work. I get an error when I try to run the machine: failure to initialize Host Interface.

Anybody know of a tutorial that works? (I´ve found a few, but none of them work for me so far, mainly because I don´t have XP Pro, I think).

Also, I´m having trouble with certain keys on my keyboard in Ubuntu. When I try to type ´, ¨, or ~ I have to hit each of them twice. Any reason for this? It does it in every program (even this window). I think I might have set up my keyboard improperly: I´m using us:intl as the setup.

Here are system stats:

AMD Athalon64 2Ghz CPU (1600Mhz FSB) (Running i386 version because 64bit wouldn´t install)

80Gb HDD, IDE

ATI Radeon X1300 PCI-E Video card (256Mb RAM)

Acer P221W 22¨ widescreen DVI-I monitor (if it matters)

1.5GB DDR RAM

Any help would be wonderful, as I´ll have to go back to Windows full time if I can´t get these programs to share files, and I really DON´T want to go back to Winblows.

Thanks!

Beans

Re: Sharing files between host (Ubuntu Hardy) and guest (Win XP Home) using VirtualBo

Nevermind I realized that Windows was holding me back. I don´t need the programs that bad...but I do need to get this keyboard fixed. Anybody help?

Thanks.

**Windows Free and Proud** woohoo!