Thread: PCI video card advice: 5500 or 6200?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 15.04 Vivid Vervet

PCI video card advice: 5500 or 6200?

I recently bought a EVGA Nvidia 5500 128Meg PCI card to replace my 64Meg Intel onboard card.

However just today I got an EVGA 6200 256Meg PCI card for free and I can still return the 5500 for a few more days. But I have a few questions.

1) I gather the 6200 is an older card. I do like to play FPS games, etc. Will the 6200 outperform the 5500? Does anyone have experience with either or both of the cards?

2)After I install, will I need to do anything other than reboot? I installed Hardy with the 5500 installed. Will I have to disable my onboard card somehow or tweak with xorg.conf settings (maybe run "sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phig xserver-xorg")? Should I just reinstall?

Any information or opinion would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Last edited by DirtDawg; May 16th, 2008 at 08:52 PM. Reason: Cause that's how i roll.

Beans
    Distro

Re: PCI video card advice: 5500 or 6200?

I found some info that says the 6200 is a better choice.

But do I need to reconfigure anything after I install the new card? Please clue me in.

Beans

the 6200 is a newer GPU and the ones you list it has twice the RAM so it should outperform your other card. You shouldn't have to change anything since both are Nvidia GPU and both will use current new Drivers.

Hope that clears that up for you.

Beans
    Distro

I installed the new card and returned the old one (thanks nicedude). But I have to share some irony.

After installing the card, everything worked perfectly, I mean absolutely flawlessly. Ubuntu rebooted and the drivers worked and I was happy.

Then I decided to take a few minutes and install the drivers on my Windows partition. I read the instructions, booted up Windows, installed the drivers and got the Black Screen of Death! So now I have a headache to deal with courtesy of Microsoft.

It's ironic that I see all these complaints about Linux not being "ready for prime time", but Windows, the supposed rock of ease, is the one that has completely dropped the ball on something as basic and fundamental as installing a new video card!

I can't believe Microsoft can get away with charging money for such a shoddy product!