Thread: Removable devices are not auto-mounting consistently

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Removable devices are not auto-mounting consistently

I'm noticing this with CDs and MMC/SD cards. Sometimes when I pop one in the window pops up asking what to do and sometimes nothing at all. In this case they show up in dmesg just fine with no errors and I can mount them manually but would like to not have to mess with that.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Removable devices are not auto-mounting consistently

-bump-

Still having the same issue.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Quote Originally Posted by deadtom View Post
    I'm noticing this with CDs and MMC/SD cards. Sometimes when I pop one in the window pops up asking what to do and sometimes nothing at all. In this case they show up in dmesg just fine with no errors and I can mount them manually but would like to not have to mess with that.
    Are you "unmounting" them before removing them?

Also, I have disabled icons on the desktop (through gconf-editor) and I find that CDs no longer mount by just clicking them on the "places" menu; I have to go through Places-Computer. Have you also disabled desktop icons (scrabbling for straws).
    Cheers,PRShah
    Make your own: Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Mythbuntu All-in-One Live DVD
    "I never make mistakes; I thought I did, once.. but I was wrong."

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Yes, I always unmount before removing devices.

No, I have not disabled desktop icons. I'm using kde rather than gnome and what used to happen was I'd put in a cd or sdcard or usb drive and a window would pop up asking me what I want to do with it just like what happens in ms windows. This no longer happens. Nothing happens at all.

I've made some entries in fstab and I use kdf now to mount and unmount things but it would be nice to get that pop up window back. I'm sure it was some program that I don't know the name of that either i've broken or accidentally uninstalled. I've been through adept very carefully and cannot figure out which app did this for me.