Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: HOW-TO: Hardy on Motion Computing M1300

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: HOW-TO: Hardy on Motion Computing M1300

Sure, however I'm not as knowledgable as you seem to think I am. Where do I find this acpid log?

Beans

Hi,

I think I'm probably not as knowledgable as I might seem The only reason I know about looking in the acpid log is because I've been trying to resolve this sleep issue.

It's in /var/log

What I would suggest you do is set gnome power manager to sleep when you press the power button. Then, press the power button to sleep the computer and make note of the time. Wait a couple of minutes and wake the computer using the power button. Again, noting the time. Then take a look in the acpid log. You should see something like this at the time you put the computer to sleep:

"received event "button/power PWRF.........."

Then look further down the log and see if you can find a similar entry at the time you woke the computer.

Also, if you don't mind, open a terminal and do a "dmesg | grep Power" and post what output you get. For some reason I have two power buttons registered and I'm not sure why. I'm curious to see if you have that also.

Thanks,

Andy

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by priegog View Post
    So, I finally solved this thing (had been at it for at least a couple of months) so I'll just post here exactly how to do it. Most of the steps are similar to the ones on this thread, so much of this guide will be a copy-paste of that.

1. Go to the terminal and install all of these
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install setserial wacom-tools xserver-xorg-input-wacom
    2. Map the hardware port to a virtual serial port
    Code:
    sudo setserial /dev/ttyS0 port 0x0238 irq 4 autoconfigure
    3. Check that all is working; first type
    Code:
    wacdump -f tpc /dev/ttyS0
    and move your pen around the screen. If the numbers move, keep going. If they don't you're out of luck.

4. Put the appropriate entries in the xorg file. type
    Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    , and paste these lines in there somewhere (I put them at the beginning)
    Code:
    Section "InputDevice"
    Driver "wacom"
    Identifier "stylus"
    Option "Type" "stylus"
    Option "SendCoreEvents" "true"
    Option "Device" "/dev/ttyS0"
    Option "ForceDevice" "ISDV4" # Tablet PC ONLY
    Option    "Button2"    "3"
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Driver "wacom"
    Identifier "eraser"
    Option "Type" "eraser"
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Driver "wacom"
    Identifier "cursor"
    Option "Type" "cursor"
    EndSection
    and then add these lines to the Section "ServerLayout":
    Code:
    InputDevice "cursor" "SendCoreEvents"
    InputDevice "stylus" "SendCoreEvents"
    InputDevice "eraser" "SendCoreEvents"
    4.1. (Optional for screen rotatiOn in step 8 ). Add these lines to the "Device" section:
    Code:
    	Option		"RandRRotation"	"on"
    	Option		"NvAGP" 	"1"
    	Option		"DRI"		"false"
    WARNING:This last line will disable3D acceleration but i'ts neccesary.
    Click the save button and close gedit.

5. Make these changes permanent by typing
    Code:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure setserial
    and selecting the option "autosave once"

6. Restart and it should all be working!

After this my tablet worked just fine, but the other guides included this last step so I'll post it here as a "last resor" measure.

7. Type
    Code:
    sudo xsetpointer stylus
    I actually don't know what this command is for, so if someone were to illuminate me...

I know there aren't a lot of M1300 users out there but still I wish when I bought mine there was a guide just like this one to set it up.
    This is working for hardy but presumably it would work with future versions as well.

__________________________________________________ ______
    List of Tablet PC's working with Linux and links to the how-to's
    Ubuntu 8.10
    M1300
    I tried fon my pen on screen but, after restart, KDE don't run.

??????

I apologize for my english

Alberto

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hablas espanol? O es portugues? Te respondere en espanol.
    Pues aun no se como seran las instrucciones para hacerlo funcionar con 8.10. Asi que puedes esperar a que averigue como funcionara, y mientras tanto instalar hardy, que funciona perfectamente con estas instrucciones. Por eso en el titulo de este tutorial pone "Hardy".
    Suerte

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by priegog View Post
    Hablas espanol? O es portugues? Te respondere en espanol.
    Pues aun no se como seran las instrucciones para hacerlo funcionar con 8.10. Asi que puedes esperar a que averigue como funcionara, y mientras tanto instalar hardy, que funciona perfectamente con estas instrucciones. Por eso en el titulo de este tutorial pone "Hardy".
    Suerte
    I'm italian.

I understand enough English, but speak little!
    Step 1, 2, 3: all OK!
    Step 4: done!
    The PC restart but the system remains in text mode.
    What's the command to start KDE?
    Thanks

Alberto

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

If it is not starting on it's own, it won't start unless you fix what's wrong.
    What I was trying to say is that X.org changed a lot from hardy to intrepid, and so the same method cannot be used to make it work. You can either wait for me or someone else to figure out what the new instructions are going to be, figure them out yourself, or install hardy and follow these instructions as they are.

Beans

Hey, Priegog, love the scripts, works up to adding the script for the server, I see the numbers move and try to add the server settings, but I don't have server side in my Xorg file. Couldn't find it, tried to add it but to no avail. I'm new when it comes to Linux script side but trying to learn. I can follow up with what I have input so far, I saw the numbers move as I used the stylus, but after I restarted assuming I put all else in of course after the server side scripts.
    and then add these lines to the Section "ServerLayout"?
    InputDevice "cursor" "SendCoreEvents"
    InputDevice "stylus" "SendCoreEvents"
    InputDevice "eraser" "SendCoreEvents"

Didn't have it in the XORG file.

The rest was fine since it was optional, restarted and pen didn't work, Am I doing a step wrong. Do I open one terminal for all of these and save as I go. Still working on the Ubuntu newby barrier sorry, andy input would be appreciated. I am running the latest and greatest from Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi. Don't worry about the newbie barrier, we've all been there. Just a quick question: what version of ubuntu are you using? This guide was made specifically for 8.04 and it doesn't work for the current 8.10 due to changes in xorg. I haven't quite figured out how make it work in 8.10, but when and if I do I'll be posting a similar how-to. If anyone else reading this has ANY idea on how to get wacom tablet pc's to work with 8.10 (specifically what has changed since 8.04) please let me know.
    hooligan 1975: If all else fails, just download 8.04 in the meantime. It's not terrible. It's an LTS after all.

Beans

Fantastic, I will do that, I first used my 6.04, and figured that was the issue. So I assumed,<-----(the Mother of all f-ups) that this worked for 8.1. I will download the 8.04 and try it with that, In the meantime, I will try and dive into the code and post new info for it, that might help the future progression of 8.1. I thank you for the information. I will re-post after I reload 8.04.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hey wait!
    No need to install 8.04.
    You motivated me to troubleshoot the issue and I figured out that with the previous release's xorg.conf, and skipping step 4.1, the tablet works. Of course I still have to figure out the screen rotation thingy, but at least it's usable. I figure you won't be able to get last version's xorg.conf, so I'll attach it here for you. All you have to do is follow the instructions as usual (in 8.10), but substitute step 4 for substituting your xorg.conf file with this one.
    If this is all too confusing for you let me know and I'll give you more detailed instructions.

edit: you'll have to rename the attached file to xorg.conf, since to attach it I had to add the .txt
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by priegog; November 25th, 2008 at 11:55 AM.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast