Thread: received an infraction, I don't think it's justified.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

received an infraction, I don't think it's justified.

Hi there,

I received an infraction (by Sef) , which I don't think was justified.

Reason: Insulted Other Member(s)
    Don't insult other members, instead of offering them help.

Original Post:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...74#post4967674

---Quote---
    Do you really think you're going to be able to run a web server, print server, possibly some other stuff for your home network, and keep al that secure enough to be accessible from the internet, when you don't even succeed in installing the operating system ?

Try a live CD and install from it.
    ---End Quote---

Here's my take on it :
    1/ it wasn't intended as an insult
    2/ it's not phrased as an insult. I'm not questioning the posters intelligence or calling him names. I genuinely wonder whether it's such a good idea to skip the OS installation step because apparently it's too hard, then go ahead and install web servers and, judging by "accessible from any internet source" in the OP, expose them to the internet.
    I posted that question so the OP could reconsider his approach and create an opening for discussing alternative sollutions.

3 : some context : before landing on the thread in question, I'd been browsing the forums and had come across another post by the same member ( http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=794779 ), where he talks of setting up Ubuntu Server and having trouble with it.
    When I landed on the (2nd) thread I came to the conlsusion that this member would probably be better of trying to use and/or install from a Live Desktop CD in stead of trying to install Server, fail at it, and have someone else send him a hard disk with a server installed on it.
    So I adviced accordingly in my post.

I don't see how that's an insult.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: received an infraction, I don't think it's justified.

I have read the post in question. I can see how it could be read as an insult, but I can also see how it could have been written without that intent.

Because you have a long history of positive contributions to this forum, I am inclined to take your word for it that nothing insulting was intended. I have reversed the infraction.
    what's a troll? | my blog | my writing | Ubuntu Unleashed

Don't ask support questions in PMs--post a thread so everyone can benefit!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: received an infraction, I don't think it's justified.

Quote Originally Posted by matthew View Post
    ... I am inclined to take your word for it ...
    Thanks, I appreciate that.