Thread: How to speed up audio CD startup?

Beans

Question How to speed up audio CD startup?

I need to use use a laptop computer as a jukebox/CD burner in sort of a production environment. I need to play track after track on various CDs, with little delay.

The problem is, it takes too long for an audio CD to start on a computer. My very old stereo component CD player takes 4 seconds to start a CD. Various Windows PCs took 15 to 30 seconds to start. Linux is up there with the Windows PCs. That's way too slow.

Here's what happens when you close the tray. I think the CD starts turning slowly after a second or two. After another couple of seconds it starts turning faster. After around 15 seconds it begins to spin fast. About 3 seconds after that it is finally displayed on Rhythmbox and starts to play.

There must be some settings. How can I speed this up? It seems like it doesn't really start to read the CD for about 15 seconds. I'd like to cut that delay to near zero.

I'm not sure I'm in the right forum. I posted here on the theory that this is configuration of hardware and/or drivers etc.???
    Last edited by VanillaMozilla; May 16th, 2008 at 02:00 PM.

Beans

Re: How to speed up audio CD startup?

Continue here:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=4994369
    Wrong forum, I guess, and I have no idea how to find a moderator to get this moved.