Thread: hidden processes found - should i worry?

Beans

hidden processes found - should i worry?

i was running rkhunter with unhide as a cronjob overnight and it found a bunch of hidden processes. is that normal or should i worry?

the output i got in my system mailbox was:
    Warning: Hidden processes found: 23564
    Warning: Suspicious file types found in /dev:
    /dev/shm/pulse-shm-3494257518: data
    Warning: Hidden directory found: /etc/.java
    Warning: Hidden directory found: /dev/.static
    Warning: Hidden directory found: /dev/.udev
    Warning: Hidden directory found: /dev/.initramfs

One or more warnings have been found while checking the system.
    Please check the log file (/var/log/rkhunter.log)

Beans

Re: hidden processes found - should i worry?

Run 'ps -e' and see what they are, then plug them into Google to learn about them.

Cheers,

Herman

Beans

well i ran the rootkit hunter thing again and got
    Warning: Hidden processes found: 15096

ps -e did not show those processes

Beans

If the processes are truly hidden, then yes it's probably something you should worry about. But it's possible that you've got a false positive situation.

When rkhunter tells you that there are hidden processes, try to cd to the /proc/<pid> directory for the process (where <pid> is one of the process ID numbers output by rkhunter). If you can't cd into the directory, then the process isn't really hidden, it was just in the middle of exiting when the rkhunter check ran and rkhunter was confused and you probably have nothing to worry about.

If you do manage to cd into the /proc/<pid> directory, then it's likely you have a problem. Interesting things to do once you're in the /proc/<pid> directory include:

1) "cat cmdline" should give you the name the process is running under

2) "sudo cat environ | perl -pe 's/\000/\n/g'" gets you the environment variable settings for the process

3) "sudo ls -l fd" shows you what files the process currently has open

4) "sudo ls -l cwd" shows you the current working directory of the process (which could be interesting if the process was started by the attacker from their rootkit installation directory)

There's plenty of other cool stuff you can do with the various bits of information under /proc, but the above should be enough to help you figure out what the process(es) are doing and how much trouble you're in.

Beans

Very interesting stuff Hal, thanks.
    Disclaimer: All of my advice is guaranteed without exception to work. If you find my advice unsatisfactory, you didn't do it right.

Beans

thanks HalPomeranz that was very helpful
    it seems i cant cd into any of the processes rkhunter is reporting so thats good news i guess. however every time i run rkhunter it reports about 7-10 hidden procs and if i run rkhunter again 2 minutes later theres another 7-10 hidden procs reported but different ports from 2 mins before

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by iamnotthemessiah View Post
    it seems i cant cd into any of the processes rkhunter is reporting so thats good news i guess. however every time i run rkhunter it reports about 7-10 hidden procs and if i run rkhunter again 2 minutes later theres another 7-10 hidden procs reported but different ports from 2 mins before
    Sounds like you've got a process running that's spawning lots of short-lived children. Are you running something like a web server or mail server on the machine where you're running rkhunter?

Beans

no, im not really running anything except the usual stuff like torrent client, firefox, pidgin etc
    i do have that exim thing installed tho in order to get system mail

thanks for your help