Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] AR5007 Atheros Madwifi Hardy 8.04 32BIT I386 INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS STEP BY ST

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Talking Re: AR5007 Atheros Madwifi Hardy 8.04 32BIT I386 INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS STEP BY STEP

I don't have the expertise needed to support this guide as I am a UBUNTU newbie.
    I was able to install wifi in a Toshiba A55 and Toshiba A205 using the nicedude guide (post #1) I saved. Works great

Thanks again for such a great guide nicedude.
    Last edited by thomas228; October 11th, 2008 at 03:25 AM. Reason: I 'm a UBUNTU newbie and can't support this guide.

Beans

Re: AR5007 Atheros Madwifi Hardy 8.04 32BIT I386 INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS STEP BY STEP

Pretty ignorant way to retaliate for being reprimanded for ignorant behavior.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: AR5007 Atheros Madwifi Hardy 8.04 32BIT I386 INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS STEP BY STEP

Quote Originally Posted by T3h_Dohtem View Post
    Pretty ignorant way to retaliate for being reprimanded for ignorant behavior.
    seconded, at first i thought it was a bit harsh but then quickly realised nicedude was in the wrong, everyone was a newbie once and they need all the help they can get, not ignorance.

Nice one thomas228!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I run 64bit Hardy but here is exactly what I did to make mine work.

1. wget http: / /snapshots.madwifi.org/madwifi-hal-0.10.5.6/madwifi-hal-0.10.5.6-r3835-20080801.tar.gz
    2. tar -zxvf madwifi-hal-0.10.5.6-r3835-20080801.tar.gz
    3. cd madwifi-hal-0.10.5.6-r3835-20080801
    4. sudo make
    5. sudo make install
    6. System -> Administration -> Hardware Drivers -> Uncheck both hal and Atheros support
    7. sudo vi /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist -> blacklist ndiswrapper (This is because I was using ndis, but it was a gimpy solution)
    8. Reboot =(, so windows-y... ick
    9. sudo modprobe ath_pci
    10. Surf surf surf

Since most people don't want to type sudo modprobe... on boot, this is how you load the module automatically. !!!NOTE!!! please do all the previous steps before you auto load a new module. If ath_pci crashes your computer when you load it, you don't want ath_pci to automatically load on boot!

1. cd /etc
    2. sudo vi modules
    3. add: ath_pci

Here is what my complete /etc/modules file looks like:
    # /etc/modules: kernel modules to load at boot time.
    #
    # This file contains the names of kernel modules that should be loaded
    # at boot time, one per line. Lines beginning with "#" are ignored.

fuse
    lp
    rtc
    sbp2
    #ndiswrapper
    ath_pci

Now my card boots right up and works great!

-Orbital_sFear

Beans

Re: [SOLVED] AR5007 Atheros Madwifi Hardy 8.04 32BIT I386 INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS STEP B

I only got so mad because I had been up 2 days strait and instead of going to sleep I was trying to help some guy mount a disk and he wouldn't listen to the things I was telling him to try and it made me upset and I said he wasn't capable of learning and I still stand by that statement. Instead of PM'ing me he ran to an admin like he would his mommy and they obliged him like mommies do, instead of spending 2 minutes to speak to me about it and I would have apologized to the little crybaby noob. Well if they can't be personal with me and instead act like traffic cops handing out tickets well then I won't waste my time here helping. And I pulled my guide since without me being here on a regular basis to answer peoples problems when they try to use it I pulled it rather than have someone mess up their system while trying to use it. To all that were appreciative of my help you are welcome and to all that wanna talk smack about what I choose to do I could care less. Why don't you just write your own guide or copy mine and then help everyone yourself, be my guest.

nicedude

Beans

Angry Re: [SOLVED] AR5007 Atheros Madwifi Hardy 8.04 32BIT I386 INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS STEP B

oh bullocks, I'm sitting here with a brand spankin' new laptop, now with no way of getting it online. That wasn't very nice of nicedude.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: [SOLVED] AR5007 Atheros Madwifi Hardy 8.04 32BIT I386 INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS STEP B

I learned what I know from Nicedude. Sad to see him go.

Here's what I did:

1) Get a copy of the latest snapshot from here and extract it in a safe place:
    http://snapshots.madwifi.org/madwifi-hal-0.10.5.6/

2) In System>Administration>HardwareDrivers, uncheck both and reboot.

Note: You're going to need build-essential installed.
    sudo apt-get install build-essential

3) Go to the directory where you extracted the latest snapshot and type these:
    sudo make
    sudo make install
    sudo modprobe ath_pci

4) Add it to module for startup:
    sudo gedit /etc/modules
    Add the line 'ath_pci' to the bottom of the list and save it.

5) Reboot.

I had to replace the wifi manager with WICD to get connected to unencrypted networks, before it was saying they were encrypted when they weren't.

As far as patching for monitor mode... I'll get back to you on that one. This should at least get you on-line.
    :edit: I tested packet injection and it's working without a patch. I'm guessing the patch is no longer needed for injection. I'm not sure though. Maybe someone with more knowledge than me can explain the details.

Note: Whenever there is a headers update you'll need to do step 3 again and reboot, so now you know why I say to keep the extracted snapshot in a safe place.
    Last edited by ethos101; October 1st, 2008 at 09:30 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I've just re-visited this thread after a 5-week holiday break, and was astounded to read about the "demise" of Nicedude. He certainly helped me get my Compaq C731tu laptop communicating wirelessly with the internet. Sorry also to see him go. My laptop is one of those sub-A$600 machines being flogged by all the big resellers like Hardly Normal and OfficeWorks, and has a single-core Celeron 540 processor running at 1.86 MHz.It has Vista Home Basic and Ubuntu 8.04 dual OS, and works well under both. I took it away on hoidays, having followed Nicedude's step-by-step instructions to get the Atheros AR5007 chip communicating. At home, I couldn't get it to go, with WICD reporting "No wireless networks found". In Queensland, I tried again - having made absolutely no changes to the machine - and was staggered to make wireless connection with the wifi hotspot at the place where we stayed. Reliable, repeatable, solid internet connections over the 5 week period - no problems. Back home, same result on day 1, but alas the gremlins struck when I fired up the machine the next day - no WICD connections and no communications. After a few days of this, I was just about ready to repeat Nicedude's instructions from scratch, when today everything is working again.
    Incidentally, the Atheros AR5007 works every time under Vista. So what gives? Anybody else having such problems?
    Rob

Beans

hello All ,

in the fisrt message of this discussion, there are the
    instructions to install nvidia card driver , after installing
    AR5007 MADWIFI driver. where is the guide to install
    AR5007?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nicedude View Post
    Bye
    Sorry all but where the guide???
    Last edited by pippo68; October 16th, 2008 at 10:27 AM.

Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 LastLast