View Poll Results: Do you think that gproftpd is useful ?

Voters
872. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it's easy to use and really powerful

473 54.24%
  • Yes, but i won't use it

136 15.60%
  • No, the GUI has to be improved

263 30.16%
Page 5 of 123 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO : Create a FTP server with user access (proftpd)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: HOWTO : Create a FTP server with user access (proftpd)

I'm thinking about a new howto or an improvement of this one for newbies (and this will be only for newbies !). Because proftpd has a GUI called Gproftpd but i generally don't advice it because you need to run it as root and you can easily break your server configuration or create a unsecure ftp server, however i think newbies will prefer this way (less secure but more userfriendly).

So, please could someone test this GUI and give me his personnal opinion about it in order to help me to know if i should advice it for newbies and create a small guide for it ?

Thanks for helping me to estimate this way to use proftpd.

here are the website link and a screenshot at the bottom of the post :
    http://mange.dynalias.org/linux.html
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Breezy 5.10

Hello frodon,

I'm setting up a fresh install of Ubuntu and I'm going to test the Gproftpd gui. I will see how it goes using the instructions on the Gproftpd web site and give you feedback.

Also, I think my slow connections on my ftp server are possibly due to my router. I still have to do more research on that one.
    When I connect to other ftp servers, I'm getting excellent speeds. I did some searching and it seems I'm not the only one to have this problem.

Take it easy.

Beans

GUI interface

Sure seems like an easier way for newbies like me.
    I installed it and got a text that said it's running. Didn't get the GUI interface or see an icon.
    I'll try again today.

Jbinc1, no, you're not the only one with slow speed, going through my Netgear FVS318 is slow to connect too.

I tried the inet install instead of standalone and it won't run at all. How to I reinstall proftpd? I'll switch back to standalone.
    Last edited by steve_250; January 6th, 2006 at 03:09 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Breezy 5.10

Hello Steve,

I've done some pretty extensive searching on the slow connection subject and I can't seem to find any solution. If you happen to find anything feel free to pm me and let me know. I really like the easiness of the setup and the way my ftp server is running, but I have the need for speed, if you know what I mean.

If you go into the proftpd.conf file where it says "ServerType" you should be able to just change it back to "standalone".
    Last edited by jbinc1; January 6th, 2006 at 03:14 PM.

Beans

I also noticed some differences in the inet and standalone. In the inet install, it creates it's own ftp directory under home. It also starts in /init.d instead of inirtd as it wants to (says it can't find it in inirtd).

Jbinc1, I'm going to see if I can buy a splitter to run off my DSL modem to put the server outside the router.
    Yep, changed it to standalone in the conf and now it won't run at all. Want to do a re-install. Stuff is in different directories than with the standalone install, at least in MY machine.
    Last edited by steve_250; January 6th, 2006 at 03:19 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by jbinc1
    Hello frodon,

I'm setting up a fresh install of Ubuntu and I'm going to test the Gproftpd gui. I will see how it goes using the instructions on the Gproftpd web site and give you feedback.

Also, I think my slow connections on my ftp server are possibly due to my router. I still have to do more research on that one.
    When I connect to other ftp servers, I'm getting excellent speeds. I did some searching and it seems I'm not the only one to have this problem.

Take it easy.
    Hi jbinc1,

I'm wondering something, when you say that you have a slow connections, do you mean transfert speed ?
    Because most of DSL connections have a really poor upload speed compared to the download speed, maybe it's just your internet connection which have a low upload speed and a good download speed. It could explain why you download fast on other FTP server and not with yours.

Beans

Going through my router when I enter the actual internet address and NOT the local net address (192.168.) it is slow to connect and go through the password dialogue.
    Going locally, 192.168. it connects right away.
    This is all done on the same machine ftp is installed on, using gftp.

Getting this error now when using gftp and the internet address:
    As seen in gftp:

230 welcome !!!
    SYST

215 UNIX Type: L8
    TYPE I

200 Type set to I
    CWD /

250 CWD command successful
    Loading directory listing / from server (LC_TIME=en_US.UTF-8)
    PASV

227 Entering Passive Mode (192,168,2,33,4,12).
    LIST -aL

Disconnecting from site sjp.serveftp.net
    Invalid response '

What do you thing the "invaild response" could be?

On edit:
    I disabled passive xfers in gedit and it works fine now.
    Using a standard browser it connects when I put in the local net address (192.168) but times out when putting in the internet address.
    Last edited by steve_250; January 6th, 2006 at 04:01 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Breezy 5.10

Steve,

Try this in your proftpd.conf file

Code:

UseReverseDNS off
    IdentLookups off

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Breezy 5.10

Quote Originally Posted by frodon
    Hi jbinc1,

I'm wondering something, when you say that you have a slow connections, do you mean transfert speed ?
    Because most of DSL connections have a really poor upload speed compared to the download speed, maybe it's just your internet connection which have a low upload speed and a good download speed. It could explain why you download fast on other FTP server and not with yours.
    Hi frodon,

I did some more tests and you're right. My conversion from Bps to kbps was wrong (oops). It looks like I'm getting all of the speed I'm going to get. My upload is limited to 312 kbps and I'm I'm averaging about 36000 Bps. I better double check my math next time. Live and learn.

Thanks for all of your help.
    Last edited by jbinc1; January 6th, 2006 at 08:34 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jbinc1
    Steve,

Try this in your proftpd.conf file

Code:

UseReverseDNS off
    IdentLookups off
    Thanks, it "seemed" to speed up the pw dialog box but still times out after entering name and pw.

Page 5 of 123 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast