View Poll Results: Do you think that gproftpd is useful ?

Voters
872. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it's easy to use and really powerful

473 54.24%
  • Yes, but i won't use it

136 15.60%
  • No, the GUI has to be improved

263 30.16%
Page 32 of 123 FirstFirst ... 2230313233344282 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO : Create a FTP server with user access (proftpd)

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: HOWTO : Create a FTP server with user access (proftpd)

Quote Originally Posted by blacha View Post
    Hi,
    I'm having some problems here..

I had some older version of proftpd which i chose to remove (by synaptic)
    But as i discovered not all files were removed

After going through your how-to (great job btw !) i've noticed that at the end, old conf file was being loaded.

Then I manualy removed proftpd.conf from /etc and from /etc/proftpd/
    and also startup script from init.d

After another reinstall I'm missing startup script Shouldn't it be recreated at apt-get install ?

any thoughts on working this out ?

help.

why don't you try to go sudo aptitude remove proftpd && aptitude purge proftpd

this should get rid of anything related to proftpd. just so you know though, the newest proftpd from the repos doesn't have mod_tls compiled into it so you can't connect to your server using any kind of encryption. if you want encrytpion, you'll ahve to compile the newest source by hand. i did start a thread for this and frodon informed the developers. (i hope)

Beans

What a thread!!!!

This is my problem:
    I log-in using my unix user "surname.name" and then i see my root (/home/surname.name/) but, there, i can see also "/home/surname.name/Maildir" that is to say mail folder.

How can i modify proftpd.conf to hide /home/*/Maildir folder (that every user see as "/Maildir") to all users?

Thanks in advance,
    Salvo

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Try adding this at the end of your config file :
    Code:
    <Directory /home/surname.name/Maildir/>
    Umask 022 022
    AllowOverwrite off
            <Limit ALL>
    		Order Allow,Deny
    		Deny ALL
    	</Limit>
    </Directory>
    Then restart your server, if it works you should be able to see the directory but you won't be able to enter in.

Let me know if it works.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by frodon View Post
    Try adding this at the end of your config file :
    Code:
    <Directory /home/surname.name/Maildir/>
    Umask 022 022
    AllowOverwrite off
            <Limit ALL>
    		Order Allow,Deny
    		Deny ALL
    	</Limit>
    </Directory>
    Then restart your server, if it works you should be able to see the directory but you won't be able to enter in.

Let me know if it works.
    I already tried this:

< Directory /home/*/Maildir >
    < Limit READ WRITE >
    DenyAll
    < /Limit >
    < /Directory >
    But it doesn't work

Then I tried this:

< Directory ~/Maildir >
    < Limit READ WRITE >
    DenyAll
    < /Limit >
    < /Directory >
    I can see the folder, enter, write...

Using your code (modified with /home/*/Maildir), it works...

Thanks you!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I just wanted to say thanks. This works great. Your conf file was full of good hints--I didn't copy/paste, but reading through your post help me understand what was going on.

Beans
    Distro

i gave out the alias I was using to login to my server to someone and now I don't want them to have access anymore so i changed the useralias and the password for the linux user ftp, but when I try to log into the server, the server won't accept the new alias, it does work with the old alias and the new password so he wont be able to login anymore which is what I want, but he stil knows the alias, YES I DID restart the server after changing the useralias in my proftpd.conf file? does anyone know why the new useralias isn't working?? do I need to restart my whole computer? i have restarted the server by doing sudo /etc/init.d/proftpd restart many times but I shouldn't have to do this as I run my server thru inited not as a standalone, so i am undert the impression that each time a user trys to log in, it starts up the server with the latest config each time so a server restart isn't required that's the advantage of inited instead of standalone but why isn't it working? anyone wanna help. Frodon maybe wanna help me? or are you still mad at me for asking for you know what?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Knowing your story about proftpd, i mean that you updated to the 1.3 version which don't use the same path for the config file i guess you modifyed the old config file under /etc/proftpd.conf rather than the one under /etc/proftpd/proftpd.conf which is i believe now the new one used in proftpd 1.3, it really sounds like this kind of stuff.

Try to search for mistakes in this spirit and i'm sure you will solve quickly your issue.

Beans
    Distro

thank you very much however this has brought up another problem! i just realized tha tI have been running my server as standalone and this whole time I thought I was running it thru inetd. now that I want to switch it I am getting all screwed up with inetd, inetd.conf, xinetd, xinetd.conf, xinetd.d and all this stuff. i am wondering I can uninstall inetd and just use xinetd? I have xinetd installed as I had to to get swat to work I think? currently there is a line within my inetd.conf file that I am not sure what'll happen if I remove inetd, it states this:
    netbios-ssn stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/tcpd /usr/sbin/smbd

does anyone know if I need this line for samba to work since I see it has something to do with netbios but I don't know what ssn is??

i have just decided to compile version 1.3 with all the goodie modules that came with proftpd's source. i am not going to compile it with any of the 3rd party modules although some may be useful I haven't needed them yet so I don't think i will ever need them. if I do I can always compile again. this should be interesting, if it all works out, i'll look into making a .deb for everyone.

Beans

I'm having some issues trying to install proftpd on a new install. I try the command sudo apt-get install proftpd gproftpd and I get the following:

Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    E: Couldn't find package gproftpd

Any ideas on how to resolve this problem? I've tried updating my sources.list but that hasn't worked. I've googled and searched this forum and I haven't found anything useful. Thanks in advance.

Steve
    a linux noob

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I see the packet without any problems so i think it may come from your sources.list file, could you post it there ?

Thanks

Page 32 of 123 FirstFirst ... 2230313233344282 ... LastLast