View Poll Results: Do you think that gproftpd is useful ?

Voters
872. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it's easy to use and really powerful

473 54.24%
  • Yes, but i won't use it

136 15.60%
  • No, the GUI has to be improved

263 30.16%
Page 71 of 123 FirstFirst ... 2161697071727381121 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO : Create a FTP server with user access (proftpd)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: HOWTO : Create a FTP server with user access (proftpd)

Quote Originally Posted by Palcrypt View Post
    Ok, so I got the ftp set up to work. I decided I wanted the ftps to work. The problem is that I am behind a firewall on my router. proftpd's website says this is because with the encrypted credentials the router gets confused with somethings. It says the solution is to set:

TLSRequired auth+data
    instead of
    TLSRequired off

The problem is when I do that (or just set it to auth) when I restart the server I get this error:
    - Fatal: TLSRequired: bad parameter on line 95 of '/etc/proftpd/proftpd.conf'

auth and auth+data are supposed to be valid parameters for TLSRequired. Any suggestions?
    just noticed that the problem is that apt-get of proftpd only installs version 1.3.0 and the auth+data parameters are only handled in 1.3.1. I tried doing a manual build and install of the newest version, but still had issues. Looks like no SSL for me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Ok, I'm still having 530 issues. I also cannot connect from my wifi-connected laptop within the network, so it's not a modem problem, and I don't think it's the router. I'm thinking it's either a configuration problem (I have checked the folder permissions) or a firewall problem somewhere. I understand that ubuntu has a built-in firewall somewhere? How can I check up on this and see if it's the issue? I'm going to try switching from port 1980 to port 21 but I'm not sure if that will help. When I do localhost it says that the Connection is refused, so I don't think I'm even getting in. Any clues?

-Dan

Beans

Hi, i followed the guide using the gproftpd set up. I have been having issues setting it up so that i can get to more than one directory with a single user.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

how do I open up the FTP server?
    I'm Still here

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

very nice howto thanks
    Last edited by linux noooob; January 28th, 2008 at 05:55 PM.
    Read this the video at the end inspired me to switch to Ubuntu.
    if someone tells you to sudo rm -rf anything don't do it.
    let the geek be with you

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

i have set up my domain name and it goes strait to my router how do i make it all forward to my server?
    Read this the video at the end inspired me to switch to Ubuntu.
    if someone tells you to sudo rm -rf anything don't do it.
    let the geek be with you

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Hello

I used your Guide, Im currrently on Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon. Created the directory /home/FTP-shared with the two download and upload subdirectories. The ftp works fine, tested it out on the LAN with filezilla.

Now I wanted to share my NTFS partition in the download folder so i used the code u posted which said something like

Code:
    sudo mount -o /media/sda5 /home/FTP-shared/download
    i restarted the FTP server and tried logging in with my ftp client. I can connect fine into the server but when i try to open the download directory it says

Code:
    Error : 550. Permission Denied.
    Please advise.

Much appreciated.
    G.Mathews

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

The problem with NTFS is that it doesn't support unix rights system therefore the rights on it depends only on how you mounted the drive.
    Keep in mind that when you mount a directory into another one it will have the rights of the source directory (here your NTFS directory).
    So check the rights of the directory you are trying to mount, if they are not at minimum 755 then you have the cause of your issue.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Smile Re: HOWTO : Create a FTP server with user access (proftpd)

I had proftpd working on 5.10, and I just removed that installation and installed 7.10. Copied over my .conf file from the old configuration, and I get the following message when attempting to restart the service.

* Stopping ftp server proftpd [ OK ]
    * Starting ftp server proftpd - IPv6 getaddrinfo 'basement' error: No address associated with hostname
    [ OK ]

I am thinking it has something to do with /etc/hosts or an ip route table. Any thoughts????

This guide is awesome, and was very helpful when I set the ftp server up on 5.10, I am going to take notes this time, so I don't forget all the places I have to touch.

Thanks,

Rob

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

You will find the answer in previous posts in the thread, start a search on this thread using the "Search this thread" button under the poll with ipv6 as key word and you will find the posts which contain the fix.
    Anyway this error message is not important if you don't use IPV6, so if you use srtandard IPV4 you can ignore it.

Page 71 of 123 FirstFirst ... 2161697071727381121 ... LastLast