View Poll Results: Do you think that gproftpd is useful ?

Voters
872. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it's easy to use and really powerful

473 54.24%
  • Yes, but i won't use it

136 15.60%
  • No, the GUI has to be improved

263 30.16%
Page 68 of 123 FirstFirst ... 1858666768697078118 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO : Create a FTP server with user access (proftpd)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: HOWTO : Create a FTP server with user access (proftpd)

@pj12345, this is a firewall/router problem, check your firewall and router settings and be sure that you are not blocking somethings which shouldn't be blocked.

If you have a router this may help :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...2&postcount=81

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Hi Frodon, great guide and keep up the great work! My problem is that proftpd times out at exactly ten minutes every time I connect and transfer files on a remote computer. I use filezilla and fireftp (both work great with TLS by the way) to transfer the files. I have set up anonymous accounts as well as using my shell via TLS. If you need my proftpd.conf file I will shoot it in another reply. Thanks for all of your help!

Beans

after doing:
    sudo apt-get install proftpd gproftpd
    it asks me to insert some cd and press enter. I don't even have a cd-rom drive installed in this system. So I do:
    sudo mount -o loop -t iso9660 ubuntu-7.10-desktop-i386.iso /cdrom
    which works perfectly until I hit enter and then it unmounts the image and asks me to insert the CD again.

How do I make it install without a cd-rom drive? Why is it even asking me for a CD in the first place? That's lame. I would totally complain at the right people if I knew who that was. Not sure if it's entirely ubuntu's fault or if it's the proftpd.

I guess I will install a CD-ROM drive but any help is greatly appreciated in case I run into this kind of problem again in the future or if anyone knows which group is responsible.

Update: I mounted the .iso of the alternate install cd (the one I used to install with) and it worked. This reminds me a bit too much of MS windows...
    Last edited by flasher702; December 17th, 2007 at 04:17 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

This is not really a proftpd question. Just remove your cd link in your /etc/apt/source.list file or clicking repositories in synaptic, if you have an internet connection you don't need the cd.

Beans

sudo apt-get install proftpd

I tried the line shown above to install the proftpd and is not working. what does this like do and what is actually istalling and in what directory. Can I do manually isntead.

I was able to do everything else without a problem except for this line sudo apt-get install proftpd does anyone have any idea. I notice that I don't have any file in the init.d directory.

I will really appreciate your kind help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Enable all the ubuntu repositories first (universe and multiverse), you will find many threads about it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Hi, Im getting the following error:

- notice: unable to bind to Unix domain socket at '/var/run/proftpd/test.sock': No such file or directory
    - notice: unable to listen to local socket: No such file or directory
    - error: /media/Storage is a world writeable directory
    - Fatal: SystemLog: you are attempting to log to a world writeable directory on line 32 of '/etc/proftpd/proftpd.conf'

I'm using the GUI method... I've also noticed that I cant set the default home directory to anything other than the default. Whenever I do and hit apply it just changes itself back.

Please help..

Beans

Hi I am a newbie to Ubuntu but ave managed to setup proftpd to allow 1 user ftp access to one of my home directories.

This user can download files, ammend them and then upload files with no problem, however if they upload a new file, then the user rights are set to -------w-. I have set the Umask to 022 as default, and to 775 in the <directory> section of the script... any ideas??

(hope this makes sense!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

You should also set the same umask for your system, you can add this in your .basrc file present in your home directory.

Beans

not sure what you mean! I dont have .basrc in that directory :S

Page 68 of 123 FirstFirst ... 1858666768697078118 ... LastLast