View Poll Results: Do you think that gproftpd is useful ?

Voters
872. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it's easy to use and really powerful

473 54.24%
  • Yes, but i won't use it

136 15.60%
  • No, the GUI has to be improved

263 30.16%
Page 63 of 123 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573113 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO : Create a FTP server with user access (proftpd)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: HOWTO : Create a FTP server with user access (proftpd)

If you are not sure of your certificate password maybe it will be faster to recreate your certificate.
    I never used webmin so i can't really help you about webmin related stuff.

Beans

Question Re: HOWTO : Create a FTP server with user access (proftpd)

Greetings everyone,

Decent how-to. I should note however, I needed to use the LATEST version of firezilla, in order to use the TLS compression. You may want to note that in the how-to.

But I have a question about a module that is not in the packaged version in the repos. I would really like to use the mod_shaper module, in order to limit the overall bandwidth usage of my crummy adsl connection. I looked at the "TransferRate RETR" control, but I realized that thats for a per connection basis, not to powerful at all.

Since I'm almost a total Linux n00b, could you give me an idea of how to recompile proftpd with the included mod_shaper module?

Much thanks to everyone, including the how-to's author!

-Adam

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

First are you sure it is not included ? Not loaded not necessarily mean not present. The list a modules you are loading when running proftpd is set in the /etc/proftpd/modules.conf file.
    The command "proftpd -l" should return you the module list.

In addition TransferRate is not on a "connection basis" but on a command basis, for the moment i don't see the need to restrict the bandwidth other than for the RETR and STOR commands and maybe also the LIST command, other commands not being bandwidth eaters.

Will add a note about filezilla, i use the feisty repository version which Support for TLS encryption but i guess previous version don't, thanks for your feedback
    Last edited by frodon; October 2nd, 2007 at 08:55 AM.

Beans

Thanks frodon,

Yes, I'm pretty sure its not included. I check in the /usr/lib/proftpd directory, and its not listed.

Well, the reason why I want the mod_shaper is because i want to be able to set an upstream transfer rate in total. So if I have 60kb/s to spare, i want that entire 60kb/s to be allocated, no matter how many transfers are running.

As for the firezilla, I was referring to the windows version. I can't speak for the linux version because I don't use it, but version2 of firezilla just wouldn't connect to my TLS encrypted server! I was going nuts trying to figure it out, thinking it was a problem with the server configuration. Then I just decided to try the latest version (version3) of firezilla; it worked perfectly.

-Adam

Quote Originally Posted by frodon View Post
    First are you sure it is not included ? Not loaded not necessarily mean not present. The list a modules you are loading when running proftpd is set in the /etc/proftpd/modules.conf file.
    The command "proftpd -l" should return you the module list.

In addition TransferRate is not on a "connection basis" but on a command basis, for the moment i don't see the need to restrict the bandwidth other than for the RETR and STOR commands and maybe also the LIST command, other commands not being bandwidth eaters.

Will add a note about filezilla, i use the feisty repository version which Support for TLS encryption but i guess previous version don't, thanks for your feedback

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I've only been using Ubuntu for a year or so, and I've never tried setting up an FTP server, so this thread is invaluable...

I've stumbled through the HowTo, understanding probably half of it

I'm behind a router, and have tried to make those allowances in the proftpd.conf file.

When I try and connect using fireftp in Firefox, I can't connect, and don't get any useful information about why: "Unable to make a connection. Please try again."

Is there a log file, or...?

Where on Earth do I start looking to see what the problem is?
    "He who lives by the penguin, dies by the penguin."
    (at least 'till he figures out what he's doing!)

Beans

thanks for the great tut. I have one prob though. I cannot get the proftptools to work, I think I did the .bashrc correct, can you let me know. when I run ProftpTools from the terminal it does nothing.

Here is my .bashrc file.

ProftpTools_dir=/home/steve/downloads/ProftpTools-v1.0.2
    export ProftpTools_dir
    fi

Beans

nevermind, I fixed it, I had to remove that fi

Beans

Hey, great tutorial there I got through it just find I'm just running into a problem now I can't seem to solve.

I have this ftp server setup just for local file transfer between windows/linux mostly. I can connect to the server, browse the files, etc.. but If I want to create a new folder or upload a file I get a "550: Permission Denied" error.. I have chmod my ftp folder to 777 and still unsure what the problem is. Anyone know what might be wrong?

Code:
    ftp> put /home/daniel/hmm.txt
    local: /home/daniel/hmm.txt remote: /home/daniel/hmm.txt
    200 PORT command successful
    550 /home/daniel/hmm.txt: Permission denied
    ftp>
    I have copy/paste the .conf file from the tutorial so unless there is a mistake I think that is fine.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

EDIT: I just chmod all directories to 777 including the ftp directory and its working fine now :/ .. I just had to specify a remote path because it was trying to upload to the wrong place.
    Last edited by j3n0vacHiLd; October 25th, 2007 at 02:12 AM. Reason: Fixed

Beans

Hi.
    I'm a newbee to Linux world and Ubuntu is the first distro I tried. I want to make an ftp server, so I followed your steps literally for a start.
    I manage to get almost everything going, but 1 thing I couldn't get it done is to make a symlink in the ftp-share directory to be accessable by the ftp user.

I want an ftpuser to access directory /home/ftp-share, /site/www, and /store/client
    I already make ln -s command to make shortcut to www and client directory in ftp-share folder, but ftpuser cannot see them, what should I do?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by b3dm4n View Post
    Hi.
    I'm a newbee to Linux world and Ubuntu is the first distro I tried. I want to make an ftp server, so I followed your steps literally for a start.
    I manage to get almost everything going, but 1 thing I couldn't get it done is to make a symlink in the ftp-share directory to be accessable by the ftp user.

I want an ftpuser to access directory /home/ftp-share, /site/www, and /store/client
    I already make ln -s command to make shortcut to www and client directory in ftp-share folder, but ftpuser cannot see them, what should I do?
    All is explained in the tutorial, symlink are not allowed with the config i provided as they decrease seriously the security of your FTP server.
    This is the exact purpose of the section Misc > Useful tricks to let you mount where you need the directory you wish to share.

Page 63 of 123 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573113 ... LastLast