View Poll Results: Do you think that gproftpd is useful ?

Voters
872. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it's easy to use and really powerful

473 54.24%
  • Yes, but i won't use it

136 15.60%
  • No, the GUI has to be improved

263 30.16%
Page 55 of 123 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765105 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO : Create a FTP server with user access (proftpd)

Beans

Re: HOWTO : Create a FTP server with user access (proftpd)

I updated my conf file to use standalone and when I start the service here what I receive:

* Starting ftp server proftpd - IPv6 getaddrinfo 'ks351281.kimsufi.com' error: Name or service not known
    [ ok ]

thx for your help!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

As i explained several post ago this error don't prevent the good work of the FTP server, it is just that you don't use ipv6.
    I think you will find some useful posts in this thread and for sure in the forum if you want to remove this error message.

Beans

ok and if I want to use the GUI, how can I start it, because now I want to create users?

sorry for all this questions, i'm very new to ubuntu.

thx again,

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by r0ot5 View Post
    ok and if I want to use the GUI, how can I start it, because now I want to create users?

sorry for all this questions, i'm very new to ubuntu.

thx again,
    sudo apt-get install gproftp

this will install the GUI version of proftp. However if you just want to simply add another user i don't think you need the GUI to do so....

if you want to learn Ubuntu, command line is the only way to go in my opinion anwyays, i'm still very unfamiliar with linux but i can say one thing i've learned alot more by punching out commands as i would of done by doing everythign thru GUI

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

Alright, so using the default port 21 I was able to get to work the FTP server once I opened up the port in my DI-604 Virtual Server list (public 21, private 21, ip - internal IP). But unfortunately(?) I have to use my external IP to connect.

Is using my external IP and port 21 to login a bad thing?

Does anyone else who has a DI-604 know how to use a different port and set up proftpd to work with the DI-604 settings?

Thanks
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans

Re: Run proftpd as non root

Quote Originally Posted by frodon View Post
    Why such a need ? It makes your computer more secure to require root rights to run or modify services
    Basic security. Any service running as root is really dangerous. Its best to run it as a user with specific access rights so that critical access permissions are always followed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Run proftpd as non root

Quote Originally Posted by anpk View Post
    Basic security. Any service running as root is really dangerous. Its best to run it as a user with specific access rights so that critical access permissions are always followed.
    Yes but anyone would be able to gain access easily and configure the FTP server to share other directories.
    Anyway i think it would be good to ask this question in the proftpd forum, im' curious to know what the proftpd experts think of the question :
    http://forums.proftpd.org/smf/

If you have any interesting feedback about this in the proftpd forum please share it with us

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

this password 530 error, how do I fix it?
    No, I can't use the GUI way because this is on a server without GUI, I'm just using SSH + terminal to update things.

I'm adding the users with aliases and everything. The thing is that when I installed the server I added users without any problems, but if I try to change password or add users now it doesn't work

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Poka64 View Post
    this password 530 error, how do I fix it?
    No, I can't use the GUI way because this is on a server without GUI, I'm just using SSH + terminal to update things.

I'm adding the users with aliases and everything. The thing is that when I installed the server I added users without any problems, but if I try to change password or add users now it doesn't work
    THe 530 error is in general a problem with the user creation and especially the password so in general resetting the password solve the problem.

It is stange that you can't change the password however, it is not supposed to behave like that.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

yes, It's very strange, can't add user or change password for current users.

The thing is, the user can login through bash but they get dissconnected because I set /bin/false

Page 55 of 123 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765105 ... LastLast