View Poll Results: Do you think that gproftpd is useful ?

Voters
872. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it's easy to use and really powerful

473 54.24%
  • Yes, but i won't use it

136 15.60%
  • No, the GUI has to be improved

263 30.16%
Page 30 of 123 FirstFirst ... 2028293031324080 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO : Create a FTP server with user access (proftpd)

Beans

Re: HOWTO : Create a FTP server with user access (proftpd)

Quote Originally Posted by dootch View Post
    Thanks for this nix4me but I am getting a permissions error when trying to upload. I created the directory www in my home/FTP-shared directory and used bind to "link" it with my /var/www/ directory all is well there, I think. I can see it's contents when I ftp to it but I cannot upload anything. I get a 550 error permissions denied. I used the same permissions as the Upload directory.
    Got it.. I had to edit the proftpd.conf file and add this to the bottom and restart the proftpd server
    Code:
    <Directory> /home/FTP-shared/www/>
    Umask 022 022
    AllowOverwrite on
    	<Limit READ RMD DELE>
          	DenyAll
        	</Limit>

<Limit STOR CWD MKD>
          	AllowAll
        	</Limit>
    </Directory>

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Frodon, you helped me setup my ftp server and i thank you for that. but for some reason i all of a sudden can't view any of my ftp directories. when i ftp in all i see is a blank list, meaning it is hsowing me nothing? here is my proftpd.conf
    # To really apply changes reload proftpd after modifications.
    AllowOverwrite on
    AuthAliasOnly on
    # Choose here the user alias you want !!!!
    UserAlias daniel ftp
    ServerName "UBUNTU FTP Server"
    ServerType standalone
    DeferWelcome on
    MultilineRFC2228 on
    DefaultServer on
    ShowSymlinks off
    TimeoutNoTransfer 600
    TimeoutStalled 100
    TimeoutIdle 600
    DisplayFirstChdir .message
    ListOptions "-l"
    RequireValidShell off
    TimeoutLogin 20
    RootLogin off
    # It's better for debug to create log files
    ExtendedLog /var/log/ftp.log
    TransferLog /var/log/xferlog
    SystemLog /var/log/syslog.log
    #DenyFilter \*.*/
    # I don't choose to use /etc/ftpusers file (set inside the users you want to ban, not useful for me)
    UseFtpUsers off
    # Allow to restart a download
    AllowStoreRestart on
    Port 21
    # To prevent DoS attacks, set the maximum number of child processes
    # to 30. If you need to allow more than 30 concurrent connections
    # at once, simply increase this value. Note that this ONLY works
    # in standalone mode, in inetd mode you should use an inetd server
    # that allows you to limit maximum number of processes per service
    # (such as xinetd)
    MaxInstances 8
    # Set the user and group that the server normally runs at.
    User nobody
    Group nogroup
    # Umask 022 is a good standard umask to prevent new files and dirs
    # (second parm) from being group and world writable.
    Umask 022 022
    PersistentPasswd off
    MaxClients 8
    MaxClientsPerHost 8
    MaxClientsPerUser 8
    MaxHostsPerUser 8
    # Display a message after a successful login
    AccessGrantMsg "YOU MADE IT!"
    # This message is displayed for each access good or not
    ServerIdent on "you're at home"
    # Set /home/ftp directory as home directory
    DefaultRoot /home/ftp
    # Lock all the users in home directory, ***** really important *****
    DefaultRoot ~
    MaxLoginAttempts 5
    UseReverseDNS off
    IdentLookups off
    #VALID LOGINS
    <Limit LOGIN>
    AllowUser ftp
    DenyALL
    </Limit>
    <Directory /home/ftp>
    Umask 022 022
    AllowOverwrite off
    <Limit MKD STOR DELE XMKD RNRF RNTO RMD XRMD>
    DenyAll
    </Limit>
    </Directory>
    <Directory /home/ftp/download/*>
    Umask 022 022
    AllowOverwrite off
    <Limit MKD STOR DELE XMKD RNEF RNTO RMD XRMD>
    DenyAll
    </Limit>
    </Directory>
    <Directory> /home/ftp/upload/>
    Umask 022 022
    AllowOverwrite on
    <Limit READ DELE>
    DenyAll
    </Limit>
    <Limit STOR RMD RNFR RNTO CWD MKD>
    AllowAll
    </Limit>
    </Directory>
    #added for encrypting all transfers thru ssh and ssl
    <IfModule mod_tls.c>
    TLSEngine on
    TLSLog Log /var/ftpd/tls.log
    TLSProtocol TLSv1
    # Are clients required to use FTP over TLS when talking to this server?
    TLSRequired off
    # Server's certificate
    TLSRSACertificateFile /etc/ftpcert/server.crt
    TLSRSACertificateKeyFile /etc/ftpcert/server.key
    # CA the server trusts
    TLSCACertificateFile /etc/ftpcert/ca.crt
    # Authenticate clients that want to use FTP over TLS?
    TLSVerifyClient off
    </IfModule>

this happened to me out of no where so then i tried instaling gproftpd and using that and I couldn't really understand hot to use it so i just went back to view my conf file and gproftpd messed it up, it added things in the middle of lines, the word col and ile were put between some options so I kept getting errors when i would try to restart the server, so i found the bad line, fixed it but I still only can log in and SEE NOTHING? can you help me? i would like t point out that it did work great, i have all the folders created and they are there inside the /home/ftp/ location. what could be wrong? thank you if you can help

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Your proftpd.conf file looks good, except a system rights problem on the directories you use i don't see what could be the problem.

Beans
    Distro

Could you explain the problem you see with the system rights problem I use? Also, I am now outside my lan and everything is ok? So basically when I use FlashFXP from my WINXP machine within my LAN it doesn't show any dir's. it only shows a \ and that's it? Weird? I am trying to learn about Passive vs Active and I am curious as to how am I able to get a Passive FTP session from my work to my server when my server is behind a netgear firewall and I know that the only ports forwarded are 20 and 21. i read that Active FTP is beneficial to the FTP server admin, but detrimental to the client side admin. The FTP server attempts to make connections to random high ports on the client, which would almost certainly be blocked by a firewall on the client side. Passive FTP is beneficial to the client, but detrimental to the FTP server admin. The client will make both connections to the server, but one of them will be to a random high port, which would almost certainly be blocked by a firewall on the server side.

so if my firewall should be blocking all those higher ports how is passive mode working? thanks for your help!

Beans

frodon,

I want to share '/media/ftp' by FTP with 3 users: admin, download, & look. The admin user has the ability to do anything; the download user has the ablity to download and upload; and the look user can only browse the FTP. The download user can download from anywhere whil he can only upload to '/media/ftp/uploads'

All users have the default root of '/media/ftp' but each user has different file and folder permissions.

Is this possible to do? I've been killing myself for hours trying to find an answer. If it's not possible, please tell me so I can think of another way to do this. Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I think it's possible using the some "ifuser" sections inside each "directory" section. Here is a reference page on the topic :
    http://www.castaglia.org/proftpd/mod...ifsession.html

@dannyboy79, for the moment i have no idea but i will have a look at it this week, anyway don't forget to post your problem on the proftpd forum, this forum is damn helpful :
    http://forums.proftpd.org/phpBB2/

Beans

Thanks frodon but the good folks at #proftpd helped me out. I finally got it working a few hours ago. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by dannyboy79 View Post
    Could you explain the problem you see with the system rights problem I use? Also, I am now outside my lan and everything is ok? So basically when I use FlashFXP from my WINXP machine within my LAN it doesn't show any dir's. it only shows a \ and that's it? Weird? I am trying to learn about Passive vs Active and I am curious as to how am I able to get a Passive FTP session from my work to my server when my server is behind a netgear firewall and I know that the only ports forwarded are 20 and 21. i read that Active FTP is beneficial to the FTP server admin, but detrimental to the client side admin. The FTP server attempts to make connections to random high ports on the client, which would almost certainly be blocked by a firewall on the client side. Passive FTP is beneficial to the client, but detrimental to the FTP server admin. The client will make both connections to the server, but one of them will be to a random high port, which would almost certainly be blocked by a firewall on the server side.

so if my firewall should be blocking all those higher ports how is passive mode working? thanks for your help!
    Dannyboy,

I had the same problem. But the folks @ #proftpd told me to make sure that "DIRS" and "PORT" was ALLOWED in the Limit brackets. See if that helps.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by compir99 View Post
    Thanks frodon but the good folks at #proftpd helped me out. I finally got it working a few hours ago. Thanks!

Dannyboy,

I had the same problem. But the folks @ #proftpd told me to make sure that "DIRS" and "PORT" was ALLOWED in the Limit brackets. See if that helps.
    Thanks for the suggestion however there are tons of locations where it says, LIMIT, so I have no idea where you want me to put DIRS and PORT? Can you please post your proftpd.conf? or maybe just one little area showing the example and then explain where else I need to do it. thanks so much for your help!

Beans

Is it possible to get gproftpd to work in implicit ssl mode and not just in Auth SSL/TLS ?

Beans

If I use port 21 for server, i can see directory listing. If i use different port like 1980, than i get error: Could not retrieve directory listing. Ftp client is FileZilla. use passive mode.

thnx.

Page 30 of 123 FirstFirst ... 2028293031324080 ... LastLast